BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Motorola DROID thru which I can access Pandora Music. I can pair the Droid to my 2820 Garmin GPS and that works well for telephone. I also have a SCALA RIDER bluetooth headset that is also paired to the GPS which provides voice prompts for routing as well as telephone send and receive capability via the DROID. What I would like to do, but can't figure out, is to also receive Pandora music in the Scala Rider via the GPS bluetooth connection. Anyone out there know if this is possible? If not I guess the alternative would be to use a wired connection between the DROID and the MP3 input to the head set.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I have the HTC Droid & the only way I have found to listen to Pandora is hard wired to the Scala.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi Guys,
I don't know what Pandora Music is. Is it something that you need a smart phone and data package to use? Is it a pay service like Sirius?

·
8,601 Posts
tazz56 said:
Hi Guys,
I don't know what Pandora Music is. Is it something that you need a smart phone and data package to use? Is it a pay service like Sirius?
It is FREE internet Radio & yes you need a smart phone to get it. Just do a Google search for Pandora. You can listen to it on your computer.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Jeff,

Pandora is a free or pay for it internet music site. The free version has a commercial every 4 or 5 songs. Type pandora.com into you browser and the site will popup. You add music channels by typing in you favorite music artist, you will then be able to play that artist and simular artists on your computer. It works the same on a smart phone etc.

Try it you will like it. :)

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I've had Pandora on my PC for quite a while and have the paid service without commercials. I love it! Might have to upgrade my cell phone to get it over the air on the new bike...

My wife gave it to me as a gift...

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DaveDragon said:
Lynn, Did you go into the Pandora Preferences and select Bluetooth for automotive to ON?
Dave, thanks for your suggestion. Just found the "Preferences" directory and it indicates that Bluetooth for Automotive is turned on. Just for grins I'm gona try pairing the Droid directly to the Scala Rider. But, even if that works it's only of casual interest because the Scala rider is only capable of pairing to one device and of course that means it would not stay connected to the GPS which is my primary interest.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I wish I could be there to experiment with you Lynn. But perhaps a little bit of information will help you. You may already know this, but bluetooth uses different bluetooth protocols for wireless connections. The connection to your GPS is most likely "TCP" (telephony control protocol). The protocol you're looking to use to play Pandora directly to the Scala (not thru your GPS) is the "A2DP" (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) protocol. All this means is that you would actually have to create two connections from your DROID ... one to the GPS using TCP, and another to the Scala using A2DP.

In short, using the wrong protocol for a specific bluetooth task won't work.

Lastly, I could be totally wrong on all accounts. I never want to dismiss that. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
messenger13_ver2 said:
I wish I could be there to experiment with you Lynn. But perhaps a little bit of information will help you. You may already know this, but bluetooth uses different bluetooth protocols for wireless connections. The connection to your GPS is most likely "TCP" (telephony control protocol). The protocol you're looking to use to play Pandora directly to the Scala (not thru your GPS) is the "A2DP" (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) protocol. All this means is that you would actually have to create two connections from your DROID ... one to the GPS using TCP, and another to the Scala using A2DP.

In short, using the wrong protocol for a specific bluetooth task won't work.

Lastly, I could be totally wrong on all accounts. I never want to dismiss that. :)
WOW, now that's a scary thought (See above!) OH, you mean with the Droid!:rotf:

Your probably correct, but for now I've got other things to do and so I give up and will just stay with the MP3 plugged into the head set.

·
8,601 Posts
Lynn_Keen said:
WOW, now that's a scary thought (See above!) OH, you mean with the Droid!:rotf:

Your probably correct, but for now I've got other things to do and so I give up and will just stay with the MP3 plugged into the head set.
Just plug the phone into the headset it works great that way for me. I ran an duel extension (1 male & 2 female ends) cable from the odments box to just in front of my seat & one to between the 2 seats for Sammie to plug into. I plug in the phone or I Pod in the odments box.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
katnapinn said:
Just plug the phone into the headset it works great that way for me. I ran an duel extension (1 male & 2 female ends) cable from the odments box to just in front of my seat & one to between the 2 seats for Sammie to plug into. I plug in the phone or I Pod in the odments box.
Thanks for the in-put Steve. That was my fall back plan which, from what I'm hearing, has now become the solution.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Lynn,

Don't know if you have tried this but the Droid is a multitasking device and should be able to both play music and run a GPS app at the same time, with the GPS app interrupting the music for direction. I did a little research and it seems that this would work, at least from the posts I looked at. I don't have a Droid so I can't test it out.

Of course then you would need to mount the Droid and get some weather protection for it. The only other down side I can think of is the coverage area, if you were out in the back country you might not have coverage for the GPS app.

Just a though

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Gentlemen,

just a small input.
I use an Iphone 4 to play european radio or Pandora throught the bike speaker audio system and I use the Iphone Tom-tom gps app in the same time and it work great .
I connect the Iphone with the 3.5mm jack in in the box compartment.

:wave :wave :wave

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
As an update,I downloaded the a2dp app from the droid market and now have pandora streaming to my headset from my phone wirelessly. I do not have my gps connected to the headset though, music, wife and calls are enough for me, I can look at the gps map and see where I need to go.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sheldan2 said:
As an update,I downloaded the a2dp app from the droid market and now have pandora streaming to my headset from my phone wirelessly. I do not have my gps connected to the headset though, music, wife and calls are enough for me, I can look at the gps map and see where I need to go.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give it a try.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
You could always do an FM transmitter adapter to the Droid headphones plug and tune the Scala FM to the transmitter thats how I get my Pandora on my car radio from my phone.

-Preston

1 - 17 of 17 Posts