BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a standard 2000 K1200LT (no frills) with a radio and cassette player. The buttons on top of the tank include one button for the CD player, but I don't have a cd player or changer or any wiring harness to plug into.

But, look what I found right behind the radio, a 10 pin female plug that I assume is for the cd player.

Can someone confirm this? I would like to plug my iPod into this but I need the male counter part; any ideas where I can find a male plug? I can make the cable.

Thanks,
Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
This is just an assumption, but I think it's a good one. It doesn't matter if you can find the right connector or not. I'm betting that that input from the CD changer to the head unit is looking for a digital source...and NOT an analog signal. That is the way most (if not all) OEM CD changers work.

I hope for your sake that I am wrong.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
That is the connector that LEADs back to the 6- CD player in the side case. There are two 10 pin male connectors on the back of the unit. The left one is for the 6-CD connector the right one is a connector for the V.O.I.C.E. II input and can be used as an AUX input. They are standard dual row header pins spaced 0.100" apart.

Oops! Missed the part of this being a cassette unit. There will be no right side connector for AUX.

·
Registered
162 Posts
GaryEdgar said:
I have a standard 2000 K1200LT (no frills) with a radio and cassette player. The buttons on top of the tank include one button for the CD player, but I don't have a cd player or changer or any wiring harness to plug into.

But, look what I found right behind the radio, a 10 pin female plug that I assume is for the cd player.

Can someone confirm this? I would like to plug my iPod into this but I need the male counter part; any ideas where I can find a male plug? I can make the cable.

Thanks,
Gary
Just get a cassette adapter and plug your Ipod into that. They're $20 for a good one. The audio from this system isn't good enough that you'll notice a difference.

It's what I used to do before they changed my head unit to a CD player. :(

NOW I have to figure out where the AUX input goes which I bet requires buying something else and having to take all the tupperware off to install it. :mad:

A plug on the face of the CD head unit would have made too much sense.

·
Registered
350 Posts
GaryEdgar said:

Thanks,
Gary
Gary,

If you decide you really want one I would try www.jameco.com

Tim

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
Don't assume that plug is for the missing CD changer. It's been a while since I had mine apart, but I remember that the CD changer harness plugs directly into the back of the radio itself. I think that little white plug is for an unused intercom connection. If I had my wiring diagram I could tell for sure, but that is what I remember.

·
Registered
163 Posts
CD connector...

Yes that is the CD Connector, Yes it has an analog stereo input in it, No you can't use it. When the Radio polls the CD player digitally, it asks if it is there, how many CDs it has and what the last status was. Without the reply from the CD player it won't turn on the inputs for the audio. Bummer Eh?
There are other options, some not as pretty but functional. I have modified a few so that a stereo input is available but it is a hack and takes a while.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your input.

It sounds like Bob has a very good understanding of the technical specifics and how the radio and cd changer interface with each other. I think the idea of pluging my ipod into the cd interface isn't going to work.

However, Petre's idea is a low tech idea that will work with the cassette adaptor (and it turns out he's right in my back yard; about 12 miles away).

Thanks again,
Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts