BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
R1150 RT P, 2002
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I removed the front crash bars, I was left with these ‘protubrances’. Will the judicious use of an angle grinder work in removing them
5E3A3245-1858-4C7E-86BA-A87E62504D21.jpeg 39639794-3291-4737-9610-320CE4BF6D99.jpeg

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
That looks like part of the crash bar and not part of the frame. Before you attempt to grind away verify that there is no way to remove it otherwise. It is also possible that the protuberance is countersunk into the support. When you grind away you may be left with a hole. If so, how will you fill it?

·
Registered
196 Posts
If that was done at the factory for the -P bikes it is not gonna come off easily, I’m would bet though that the is no big hole through frame, but may be a small one for location of this mount.
If it was mine, I’d cut (carefully)half of it off with a hacksaw, grind to clean, tap a hole and mount my driving lights there, personally it’s really not that obtrusive, as its a BMW not a Yamaha R1 sport bike ;)

·
Registered
R1150 RT P, 2002
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If that was done at the factory for the -P bikes it is not gonna come off easily, I’m would bet though that the is no big hole through frame, but may be a small one for location of this mount.
If it was mine, I’d cut (carefully)half of it off with a hacksaw, grind to clean, tap a hole and mount my driving lights there, personally it’s really not that obtrusive, as its a BMW not a Yamaha R1 sport bike ;)
The fairing has holes in it, through which the “protuberances“ protrude. I’m planning to carefully remove the protruding item and plug whats left.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like that idea ... a great place to mount a set of lights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts