BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a bike after a 20 year hiatus, and have zeroed in on an RT1200 for my return. Rode a 2010 version from a dealer yesterday and really liked how the ESA gives it multiple 'personalities.' I have found a low-mileage 2007 but it does not have ESA. Can it be added? Or would I be better off just to find one that is already equipped?

I read in other posts that ASC can be added with a software upgrade and changing out the grip that controls it. I wasn't able to find that info on ESA, however, and thought I would expose my ignorance ;) and get educated from the braintrust....

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
I'm considering buying a bike after a 20 year hiatus, and have zeroed in on an RT1200 for my return. Rode a 2010 version from a dealer yesterday and really liked how the ESA gives it multiple 'personalities.' I have found a low-mileage 2007 but it does not have ESA. Can it be added? Or would I be better off just to find one that is already equipped?

I read in other posts that ASC can be added with a software upgrade and changing out the grip that controls it. I wasn't able to find that info on ESA, however, and thought I would expose my ignorance ;) and get educated from the braintrust....
If ESA can be added. I suspect that it will be very expensive! I would recommend that you get an RT with the ESA, since you have not made the purchase yet.

'07 is a good year! My '07 will be going on the market for sales within the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
101 Posts

I must be one of the few that do not appreciate much the ESA on my 2009 RT and could easily live without it. I ride solo only and a very conservative rider - so my setting is pretty much all the time on the soft side.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ohlins does make great suspension for the R1200RT camhead bikes, but they do NOT make an ESA system for the RT. Their ESA replacement is designed to replace, and plug directly into the camhead ESA on the GS and GSA. If you need to replace the RT suspension, Ohlins makes a great product, just not ESA.

·
Registered
455 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.