BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a 99 LT and last week i went to it to move it out of the garage. When i turned it on i got a screaching noise from the front which went off after a second or so, I then pressed the starter button and got nothing more than a click. The battery is fully charged and showing full voltage a meter and i'm just wondering if its either the solinoid or the starter motor. The last time i used her i reversed her in on the reverse gear, I know this isnt jammed cos ive rocked it back and two to make sure.
Any advice will be welcome chaps.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Just a guess. Fuel pump seized then blew a fuse?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I think Matt is on track here based on my own fuel pump problems. Shortly before my Fuel Pump failed me on a trip I was hearing this horrendous squeal when I turned on the Ignition. But the Bike would still start. Until the Pump finally did its own thing and failed me on the road. I have not heard of the Starter making noise. Just turning the engine over before you hit the Starter button if it has welded the relay contacts!

John
Matt said:
Just a guess. Fuel pump seized then blew a fuse?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AlaskaFish said:
I think Matt is on track here based on my own fuel pump problems. Shortly before my Fuel Pump failed me on a trip I was hearing this horrendous squeal when I turned on the Ignition. But the Bike would still start. Until the Pump finally did its own thing and failed me on the road. I have not heard of the Starter making noise. Just turning the engine over before you hit the Starter button if it has welded the relay contacts!

John
Thats the problem though, i can't turn the engine over cos when i push the button i get a little click noise from the right side of the bike and nothing happens. I've tryed rocking the bike back and forth but same thing happens. If it was the solinoid i'd have thought i wouldnt get the click, Is there any way to test the starter motor without removing it?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I know you stated that the battery is fully charged with good voltage, but you could still have problems with a battery even if it shows full voltage. They can break down internally and you may not see evidence of it until you actually do a load test. if your starter is frozen or jammed you're toast, but if it isn't, try to put a voltmeter on the battery when you do hit the starter button and see what the voltage does. It will probably drop, but how far? You may try a jump just eliminate the battery as a possible source of trouble before you start tearing into the beast.

Otherwise I would say it is time to pull some fairings and a tank to see what you can see underneath.

Perhaps someone else out there will have a brainstorm in the meantime.

Good Luck!

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts