BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marina Boat Sales
820 South Beckman Rd (Hwy 99 east frontage rd)
Lodi , Ca
209/3340661
916/4411475

Today from 10:00am to 5:00pm
20 Can-Am Spyder GS Roadsters available for test rides.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
dougholck said:
Marina Boat Sales
820 South Beckman Rd (Hwy 99 east frontage rd)
Lodi , Ca
209/3340661
916/4411475

Today from 10:00am to 5:00pm
20 Can-Am Spyder GS Roadsters available for test rides.
Are you gonna go ride one? I'd like to hear what you think about it...

·
Some guy on the Interwebs
3,324 Posts
tedhudson said:
Are you gonna go ride one? I'd like to hear what you think about it...
Doug has a 4:00 pm appointment to test drive one....

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have been lusting after this machine since I first saw their website. So, today I dropped by for a demo at about 2pm. After watching a video and getting a little group instruction, it was my turn.

I got on the thing and was immediately uncomfortable. It is just not ergonomicaly right for me. But I pressed on anyway. I rode the LT to the demo so I guess I was still in a countersteering mode because when I first accellerated I promptly drove it into the cones on the right. Very wierd to actually have to turn the handle bars in the direction you want to go.

In the process I picked up two cones that got jammed in the steering mechanism which made it even harder for me to turn. I continued with determination until I reached the second stop of the course. The instructor came over and removed the two cones. Now I was back to a normal steering vehicle. I immediately ran over another cone as I brought 'er home.

I was the last person in line so did not embarrass myself too badly. Conclusion, this is a pretty cool "bike" but not for me.

As I rode the LT back to Rocklin traffic got heavy and I split lanes. Oops, I would not be able to do that on the Can-Am because it is too wide. When I hit the car pool lane I jumped in. Oops again, the Spyder is not considered a motorcycle; you don't need an M1 license to drive it. You might get away with it but I am pretty sure technically it is a violation. A couple of times I gently touched my front brake and thought, hey the Syder does not have a right brake lever. The brakes are linked and only the brake pedal makes them work.

My lack of coordination and the totally wrong for me ergonomics sort of biased my opinion of the Spyder. I am sure I would have the same issues with a trike or even a scooter. On the other hand I am not ready to trade in two wheels for three.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Dell said:
I have been lusting after this machine since I first saw their website. So, today I dropped by for a demo at about 2pm. After watching a video and getting a little group instruction, it was my turn.

I got on the thing and was immediately uncomfortable. It is just not ergonomicaly right for me. But I pressed on anyway. I rode the LT to the demo so I guess I was still in a countersteering mode because when I first accellerated I promptly drove it into the cones on the right. Very wierd to actually have to turn the handle bars in the direction you want to go.

In the process I picked up two cones that got jammed in the steering mechanism which made it even harder for me to turn. I continued with determination until I reached the second stop of the course. The instructor came over and removed the two cones. Now I was back to a normal steering vehicle. I immediately ran over another cone as I brought 'er home.

I was the last person in line so did not embarrass myself too badly. Conclusion, this is a pretty cool "bike" but not for me.

As I rode the LT back to Rocklin traffic got heavy and I split lanes. Oops, I would not be able to do that on the Can-Am because it is too wide. When I hit the car pool lane I jumped in. Oops again, the Spyder is not considered a motorcycle; you don't need an M1 license to drive it. You might get away with it but I am pretty sure technically it is a violation. A couple of times I gently touched my front brake and thought, hey the Syder does not have a right brake lever. The brakes are linked and only the brake pedal makes them work.

My lack of coordination and the totally wrong for me ergonomics sort of biased my opinion of the Spyder. I am sure I would have the same issues with a trike or even a scooter. On the other hand I am not ready to trade in two wheels for three.
Thanks Dell. I wonder. If you don't need an M1, will you be allowed to ride it without a helmet???

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I think they're getting their next shipment in Feb. or March. Bruce's (Sharkey) wife put a deposit in months ago, and was supposed to get hers in October I believe, but it got pushed back.

The dealership (may have been another dealer, but I thought they said Lodi) only got 4 to sell for their October shipment I think they said, and Denise was #5 on the list.

I'd love to see one. Probably just wait until Denise gets hers.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Basically what Dell said, without the CONES.

If I did not know how to ride 2 wheels or did not want to risk tipovers, this would be another alternative to hack/trike set-up.

Nicely engineered and looks good. Slightly odd feeling but that would go away with time.

For now, I like to lean into the corners and laneshare to much.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
dougholck said:
Basically what Dell said, without the CONES.

If I did not know how to ride 2 wheels or did not want to risk tipovers, this would be another alternative to hack/trike set-up.

Nicely engineered and looks good. Slightly odd feeling but that would go away with time.

For now, I like to lean into the corners and laneshare to much.
Doug, what was your impression of the performance of the engine?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Technically, it is a 3 wheeled motorcycle, which is exempt from the M1 requirement by the CVC. Because it is under (I believe) 1500 lbs, it is a motorcycle, required a helmet, and is allowed in HOV lanes on the freeway. The vehicle code also exempts sidecar outfits from the M1 license requirement, too. When I bought the MP3's, I heavily researched that issue.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hallzee said:
Doug, what was your impression of the performance of the engine?
Seemed slow to rev but had torque enough to bark the tire in 2nd.
Plenty of get up and go, only got up to 90mph.
Interesting concept, just not for me at this time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think it would be easier to adapt to if you never rode a m/c or if you never plan to ride another m/c. I also think they should have put the brake on the handlebars not the foot or, if possible, both. I only sat on one and would still like to get a test ride. None came to Connecticut but there are several dealers to the north. Can't wait to see what saddlebags are offered, Givi?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Jennifer and I both rode them about three months ago here in Sac. Very cool concept, but not something I wood give up my motos for. We considered getting one for Jenn and to give Max rides on, but it's just not practical to have sitting in the garage.
I did enjoy it and thought it was cool. It does have the worlds best V-twin in it! (no bias there) :histerica

Dino

1 - 12 of 12 Posts