BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of a tent, I am going to try a camping hammock. No need for an air mattress or tent. Has anyone had any experience with one of these.
Yeah, I know, no good in the middle of the desert!

MF

·
Registered
70 Posts
Instead of a tent, I am going to try a camping hammock. No need for an air mattress or tent. Has anyone had any experience with one of these.

MF
I can't help you out with experience......but I would suggest going over to advrider and read. There is a ton of info on what you seek

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
A hammock may be just the ticket in warm weather. And conversely if it's cool at night it will be harder to stay warm. Could provide another sleeping option when you're in transitional weather.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts

MF
I got one last year. Here are a few links, I got the mosquito hammock as it had a lot of good reviews. I like sleeping in it better than a bed and i am trying to figure a way to hang it in the bedroom.

The first link is a list of a lot of manufacturers, but if you google "tent hammocks", or something similar you will find a lot of info.

Hammock Manufacturers - The Ultimate Hang

MOSQUITO HAMMOCK -- www.mosquitohammock.com -- Jungle Hammock, Expedition Hammock, Camping Hammock, Outdoor Hammock, Backpacking Hammock with Mosquito Netting

·
Registered
835 Posts
I tried it and was warm enough but I could not get comfortable and got no sleep while my buddy was in his hammock snoring away. I got back from the trip and sold it on advrider. I read all the postsd about what a great night sleep people got and how easy to setup etc.. You will just have to try it and see if it works for you. My setup was a Hennessy with the supershelter and a warbonnet superfly so I had plenty of room for gear. Buy a good setup and if you don't like it you will be able to sell it easily. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
These tent-hammocks are like most things, what works for one may not work for another. I know there are some that are rated much better for sleeping and comfort than others, and i got the one i did because of the reviews given by people who sleep in, and try out a lot of the different ones. But since it is all individual preferences and sleeping habits, i am sure that people would have different reviews and different opinions. I like mine because it does not feel like being in a hammock,it has lots of room, the mosquito netting is suspended over you and not dropping on your head, and the rain fly really protects from inclement weather, much better than tents i have had, and more comfortable than air mattress and/or ground. It is also very nice on a nice night to just leave the rain fly pulled back and sleep under the stars without being eaten alive by bugs. The whole package is very small. There are as many versions of these structures as there are motorcycles and as many varied opinions. The one thing about them is that they aren't all that expensive so you aren't out a lot of cash to try one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts