BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I got to finally do the clutch R&R, also replaced the rear engine seal which took out the clutch in the first place. Needless to say, a wonderful experience that brought me and the 05 LT closer together. Something else that I had gained around the time my clutch was on its last legs was a noise originating from the front left side of the engine area. I had hoped the noise was coming from the clutch and resonating else ware but this has not proven to be the case. I throw out the following question to the LT community: Is anyone aware of problems with the automatic cam chain tensioner?(this is just my uneducated guess where the noise may be coming from) and I have just surpassed the 31,000 mi. range should that have any bearing on anything.

·
Registered
729 Posts
There is a replacement kit for the cam chain rail and tensioner.
I do believe the replacement interval is 36000 miles.
They could be worn and the cause of your noise.
Just a guess.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Should not be necessary to change. Check your exhaust header. That is more likely to break, and make noise.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Cam chain tensioner and rail NEVER wear out... Forget that 36k crap.... No one ever replaces these....Maybe at 200K or something.....

Check your exhaust header as has been previously recommended...

Just bang on it with your fist or a rubber hammer... Check to be sure all the bolts are tight and none of the studs have broken off..

Also the drive for the alternator can get pretty noisy.. Especially when the electrical system is under load....

The LT's fuel injection is fairly noisy... Hell, The whole LT is really pretty noisy for what it is...

Also the seam at the front where the upper and lower fairings meet can rattle sometimes..
A small piece of weatherstripping ( thin ) in there will stop that...

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have thought that I would have noticed a problem with the exhaust header when I removed the muffler but none the less, this will be the next thing I check.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
redrockrider said:
I would have thought that I would have noticed a problem with the exhaust header when I removed the muffler but none the less, this will be the next thing I check.
I would agree with John on the cam chain tension-er and guides; I'm rebuilding my '02 with over 209k and the guides are now ready for replacement. :cool:

You might not have seen any cracks in the pipe around the weld between the Catalytic converter and the header pipe collector if you did not know what you were looking for. There is a brace in in that area that will crack and vibrate too. Did you replace the four exhaust gaskets (copper rings)? I have seen where, if the header is run loose over time, the copper gasket has burnt out and the noise is very noticeable. You would have seen this when you pulled the old gaskets out (number 3 in this diagram).

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to tell you the truth I did not consider the exhaust gaskets when I purchased the seals and clutch parts to do " the unknown repairs". Now that I have read your posts it is quite likely if there are no noticeable cracks I should be at least replacing the copper exhaust gaskets. When I pulled the muffler assembly off I should have at least looked up inside the manifold to see if the gaskets were even still there. Fortunately, I have yet to replace the tupperware so it will be no problem checking everyone's ideas. I extend my appreciation to everybody that replied to this posting as well as to those that posted the clutch repair information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts