BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an item the BMW recommends replacement at reqular intervals.
Folks on this site over the years have observed that the cam chain tensioner liner seems to hold up pretty well and doesn't need replacement often.

Here's mine at 95K miles. There is an area of wear, but it isn't an area of the liner that can be easily seen without removal of the timing chain cover.

The only visible wear is at the end of the tensioner liner next to the drive sprocket on the crankshaft. The plastic is worn and rough over a length of 1-2 inches.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I have said in the past that I thought the replacement interval should be 100,000 miles based on what I saw on mine. That wear is about what I would expect.

About a year ago I replaced the timing chain guides on my BMW 740iL, at about 175,000 miles, and they looked pretty good still, but had hardened and the retaining tabs broke when I was removing them. I think that it the most important, replace them before they start breaking up. I feel that is the most likely failure mode.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Agree . My 02 LT had 90 K on the guides when replaced.The guides do become brittle and discolor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts