BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously asked if anyone had tried the CalSci on a 2011 RT but never got any response.
I bit the bullet and bought one based on previous experience on my V-Strom..
GREAT!!!!!!!!
Just a lot less noise and turbulence from stock.
If anyone is wondering about the effectiveness of this windshield I recommend it.
Cuts down on the wind for the passenger too.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
vulcan said:
I previously asked if anyone had tried the CalSci on a 2011 RT but never got any response.
GREAT!!!!!!!!
If anyone is wondering about the effectiveness of this windshield I recommend it.
What size did you get? Did you find you can ride with it lower than the stock one with less turbulence?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can't get over the look of some of these aftermarket windscreens.
Like some veggies they may be full of vitamins but taste like sh..

Friends have VStreams on their ST1300. I see Givis on DL1000. Just awful looking things.
Hope you like your CalSci.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I don't know if it is my height (5'6"), or the way I sit, or what, but I like the stock windscreen on my 2010 RT. Most times I keep it so that I am just looking over the top and get very little noise or turbulence. If I have the screen fully up it is still very quiet with no turblance. My wife has only been on the bike a couple of times and usually have the screen all the way up as that seems best for her. I asked her if it was windy and she said no, although I don't think it is as protective as my LT screen was. I have thought of getting an after market but I have no real complaints on the stock and don't want to get something that may be worse.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
skydiver said:
I don't know if it is my height (5'6"), or the way I sit, or what, but I like the stock windscreen on my 2010 RT. Most times I keep it so that I am just looking over the top and get very little noise or turbulence. If I have the screen fully up it is still very quiet with no turblance. My wife has only been on the bike a couple of times and usually have the screen all the way up as that seems best for her. I asked her if it was windy and she said no, although I don't think it is as protective as my LT screen was. I have thought of getting an after market but I have no real complaints on the stock and don't want to get something that may be worse.
With my 2009, I have to have the windshield all the way up, or nearly so, to limit the buffeting at all. I am 6'5, 34" inseam. Seat is all the way up. I am thinking a Calsci XL.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
To Ponch and PWECR who asked what size I got.
It is the large.
I am 5'10' with a 32 inch inseam.
The large, at the lowest position, does allow some noise and tubulence.
I set it slightly higher and it becomes quiet and turbulence free. At this point I can see over the top.
In the highest position I am looking thru the shield.....it is about 2 inches above my line of sight. To get the best passenger protection I am looking thru the the plastic, not above it.

I did not experience any problem installing the shield as someone else noted. Possibly related to my location in AZ. It was about 70 degrees at the time. The instructions do specify to be over 50 degrees to enable the screen to be put in the proper configuration without causing any cracking,

Ponch, I believe that this screen would give you a lot more protection with the added height from the stock unit.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
vulcan said:
To Ponch and PWECR who asked what size I got.
It is the large.
I am 5'10' with a 32 inch inseam.
The large, at the lowest position, does allow some noise and tubulence.
I set it slightly higher and it becomes quiet and turbulence free. At this point I can see over the top.
In the highest position I am looking thru the shield.....it is about 2 inches above my line of sight. To get the best passenger protection I am looking thru the the plastic, not above it.

I did not experience any problem installing the shield as someone else noted. Possibly related to my location in AZ. It was about 70 degrees at the time. The instructions do specify to be over 50 degrees to enable the screen to be put in the proper configuration without causing any cracking,

Ponch, I believe that this screen would give you a lot more protection with the added height from the stock unit.
Their tables suggest the XL. I have a friend with a C14 and he swears by the Calsci. Says it's dead calm behind the windscreen.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Does anyone know if the shape of the windscreen on the 2010RT is different than prior models? I am 6' and weigh 235 lbs and really haven't noticed all the buffeting that is mentioned when folks are discussing reasons to replace the factory installed unit. I do like the looks of the CalSci windscreen though!

Regards,

·
Registered
472 Posts
cessna said:
Does anyone know if the shape of the windscreen on the 2010RT is different than prior models? I am 6' and weigh 235 lbs and really haven't noticed all the buffeting that is mentioned when folks are discussing reasons to replace the factory installed unit. I do like the looks of the CalSci windscreen though!

Regards,
It IS different.
Seems to work well for me, too.

·
Registered
498 Posts
vulcan said:
GREAT!!!!!!!!

Can you send a pic of the screen on your bike? Would like to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
419 Posts
cessna said:

Regards,
Yes, the 2010/11s have a slightly different windshield. I'm 6'3", 34" inseam and so far am ok with the stock screen. Most of my riding is back road and I usually keep the shield about half-way up. I only put it full up when on the highway and at 80 mph it's a little loud but not overly so. However, I do wear custom molded ear plugs on all my rides except for running errands around town.

Note - I used to have an MRO Vario windscreen on my Strom, which was outstanding. Wished they made one for the RT.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lawrence_D said:
Can you send a pic of the screen on your bike? Would like to see what it looks like.
I haven't figured out how to put pics on this website yet but if you go to the CalSci site they have a pretty good pic of the shield on an RT.

·
Registered
419 Posts
OK, so I did a ride this evening without ear plugs and with the shield all the way up. Guess what, at about 60mph if I ducked down about 2-3" and looked through the very top of the shield, their was absolute dead air and no wind noise at all. Hmmmm. So I may have to rethink the shield.

Question on the CalSci. Their website says that once mounted (in warm weather) it takes about 2 days for the shield to conform to the RTs mounting holes. Why. I've installed several other aftermarket shields on various bikes and they all fit the mounting holes exact like the OEM. Why not the CalSci?

PS - Mistype in my post above, its an MRA Vario shield. They make shields for several BMWs but not the 1200RT, at least that I could find.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a medium height Cal Science screen on my RT (I'm 5'11”), it's a huge improvement over the standard screen with much less buffeting, turbulence and noise. I never use ear plugs when riding the RT as they are just not required and I can ride with the visor up at almost any speed while looking over the top of the screen.

The Cal Science RT screens work.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Travman said:
OK, so I did a ride this evening without ear plugs and with the shield all the way up. Guess what, at about 60mph if I ducked down about 2-3" and looked through the very top of the shield, their was absolute dead air and no wind noise at all. Hmmmm. So I may have to rethink the shield.

Question on the CalSci. Their website says that once mounted (in warm weather) it takes about 2 days for the shield to conform to the RTs mounting holes. Why. I've installed several other aftermarket shields on various bikes and they all fit the mounting holes exact like the OEM. Why not the CalSci?

PS - Mistype in my post above, its an MRA Vario shield. They make shields for several BMWs but not the 1200RT, at least that I could find.
The original BMW shield has a double curve, compound curve, not sure exactly what it's called, anyway, the CalSci is a single curve. When they say install it finger tight they mean it. I have one and did as they suggest with no problems.
If you tighten the screws all the way it can over stress the arms and crack them or crack the shield.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
New2rt said:
The original BMW shield has a double curve, compound curve, not sure exactly what it's called, anyway, the CalSci is a single curve. When they say install it finger tight they mean it. I have one and did as they suggest with no problems.
If you tighten the screws all the way it can over stress the arms and crack them or crack the shield.
It sounds like you are saying to snug the screws up but do not try to get the windshield to conform to the shape of the support arms?

I did not read that in from CalSci's installation instructions. They say to install it when it stays over 50 degrees at night and it will conform to the shape in a couple of days. Does a properly installed CalSci windshield conform to the shape of the support arms or not?

Regards,

·
Registered
729 Posts
cessna said:
It sounds like you are saying to snug the screws up but do not try to get the windshield to conform to the shape of the support arms?

I did not read that in from CalSci's installation instructions. They say to install it when it stays over 50 degrees at night and it will conform to the shape in a couple of days. Does a properly installed CalSci windshield conform to the shape of the support arms or not?

Regards,
Yes, snug but not overtight. I can't remember where I saw it but there was a thread regarding this with pics. The shild had several cracks radiating out from the mounting holes. I did not tighten my shield to pull it in to conform to the arms. This is the 2nd winter with no problems. It's just my belief but if you tighten it enough to conform to the arc of the arms it will be a 50 50 split. Some shield flex some arm flex. It's difficult to get plastic to conform to both a vertical and horizontal arc without heating or forming it that way to begin with.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I just checked the installation instructions for the CalSci windscreen on the CalSci site. Here is what they state:

"BMW R1200RT:

The RT windshield has to curve to form to the brackets, which takes a day or two. It's important during this time that the windshield be at about 50 degrees or above, or it will crack. If it's going to get cold at night wait until it warms up a bit before mounting it.

Remove your stock windshield. Attach the new windshield using the stock hardware. Put the center two bolts in finger tight. Next get the upper and lower two bolts threaded. The Calsci windshield does not perfectly match the curvature of the mounting brackets, but it will form to the brackets in a few days. Now alternate between the top and bottom bolts, slowly tightening and warping the Calsci windshield into place. Don't over-tighten the bolts, these are not motor mounts."

So, FWIW, that is what the manufacturer says.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts