BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need brackets to rebuild my windshield adjustment assembly. Beemer Boneyard is out of parts. I don't want to buy a complete replacement assembly for $775 from a distributor. So I want to find someone that can fabricate the parts for a reasonable fee and help me get my 2008 K1200LT back on the road.

See the attached drawing for the first bracket. I have not been able to remove the second bracket and will do so and create a drawing soon. It is very similar to the first bracket. These brackets attach to the windshield adjustment assembly on one end and to the windshield on the other.

Recently I had a crash due to mold release on a new tire. This resulted in a violent high-side type of crash. This separated the windshield from the bike

thanks for help,

Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
There is an assembly on eBay with one damaged bracket on it. Maybe enough parts to rebuild one good one?

Item number is 323522903989

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
There is probably no real need to have them made in metal. You could probably get them 3D printed as an option.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am having trouble removing the lower support arms from the assembly. They are held in place with an 8mm cap head screw. Knowing how much BMW likes to use thread lock materials I even applied a torch for ten seconds to loosen the fastener. So far no luck. Both sides are immovable.

Can anyone share how they removed these fasteners such that I can remove the lower supports and then fabricate new ones.

thanks,

alex

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dick,

Did you have any trouble removing the lower support arms from the assembly. They are held in place by an 8mm cap head screw and I cannot get them loose. See the attachment. These are the control arms attached the motor driven shaft.

thanks,

alex

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
That is not a cap head bolt but rather a long hex shaft. There is a cir-clip and the arms should just slide off.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Alex, I have a complete windscreen motor, with a broken part, in a box. It came off my 2009 K1200LT. It's been in a box for the last few years, but if I recall correctly the broken piece is the left-hand lifting arm; this is not the technical term for this part but it's what I call it. If you are interested or want more info let me know and I'll go find it and send a photo. You can have it for the cost of shipping.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay,

I still do not have the lower control arms removed from the assembly. I do not believe that there is a cir-clip holding these on. If there is a cir-clip, I can't see how to remove it. Enclosed are pictures of the broken arm and the fastener that is holding them in place.

How do I remove these? Surely someone has removed these before.

thanks,

alex

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Howard,

I will gladly pay shipping for the assembly, hopefully there are some parts that I can reuse. Have you ever removed the lower support brackets from the assembly? I am struggling to remove these. I need to replace both lower arms and just one of the upper arms. The frame is still in good shape.

I had a crash with a new tire covered in mold release compound that caused a high-side type of crash that slammed the bike into the road. The windshield broke loose and separated from the bike. Both lower control arms were destroyed and one of the upper.

thanks for your offer,

Alex Cuningham
865 617 2093

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Howard,

I will gladly pay shipping for the assembly, hopefully there are some parts that I can reuse. Have you ever removed the lower support brackets from the assembly? I am struggling to remove these. I need to replace both lower arms and just one of the upper arms. The frame is still in good shape.

I had a crash with a new tire covered in mold release compound that caused a high-side type of crash that slammed the bike into the road. The windshield broke loose and separated from the bike. Both lower control arms were destroyed and one of the upper.

thanks for your offer,

Alex Cuningham
865 617 2093
I have not done any work on this assembly. It was removed by a BMW shop and I kept the parts.

I texted you to get your address, etc.

·
Registered
184 Posts
E-clip on the bottom arm. I have an assembly as well, one bottom arm broken, both tops (the one you did such a beautiful drawing of) intact. Same deal as Howard.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Your clip is gone. That arm should just slide off, but the hex rod might be trashed at this point.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I have not done any work on this assembly. It was removed by a BMW shop and I kept the parts.

I texted you to get your address, etc.
Update: it took all of 2 minutes to find my windscreen motor and parts. Shipping them to you today.

To confirm: the left side upper arm is missing; this is the piece that was broken. The right side upper arm and both lowers are in place, plus the motor, wiring, etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I received the parts from Howard and noted that I still need another lower support arm. I have two good upper support arms. The assembly from Howard has one good lower support arm and two good upper support arms.

More importantly is the fact that I cannot get the arm off of the hex shaft. It does not just slide off. I wonder if this was press fit onto the shaft. I have tried using a screwdriver for leverage to pull off the arm. It does not budge.

the arm is up against the assembly such that there is no clearance for a tool to pry it off. I thought about using a fine metal chisel to get the part to move. If anyone has experience removing this support arm, I am ready to listen.

In order to build one good assembly I have to remove the lower arms from my old unit and reinstall new ones from other assemblies.

thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mark,

I would like to take you up on your offer. I still need one lower support arm. If you have paypal you can text me your account number and I will reimburse you for shipping charges.

Any idea how to remove the lower arm? They are supposed to slide off the hex shaft. The question is with how much effort. The three I have tried so far do not budge.

thanks,

Alex

865 617 2093 cell

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'll get the lower arm off, and I'll let you know how it came off. I'll just send you the arm itself, no charge. I'll be texting you later for your address.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mark,

Were you able to remove the control arm from the windshield adjustment assembly? I haven't heard anything from you in a couple weeks.

thanks,

alex

1 - 20 of 21 Posts