BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with the issues of registering a non-California bike? In particular, are there any issues with smog related devices or engine specifications?

Tom

·
Senior Member (ret.)
10,857 Posts
Tom_Becker said:
Anyone familiar with the issues of registering a non-California bike? In particular, are there any issues with smog related devices or engine specifications?

Tom
Are you buying from a dealer or private party?

The bike has to have 7500 miles on it before it can be registered. There are exemptions (if you broke down and repair was more than the value of the bike and you replaced it etc.)

If private party, form 262 has to filled out, title must be signed over, mileage will be verified, VIN will be verified, and they will look for EPA sticker.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most Likely a dealer transaction

Raffy,

Thanks for the reply. I do not believe this to be a private party rather an out of state dealer. Does that change things?

Tom

·
Senior Member (ret.)
10,857 Posts

·
Old Dawg
3,284 Posts
You do not need 7500 miles on the bike if it has a 50 state or a California Emissions Information sticker on it. Usually this is on or beside the VIN sticker.
This page will give you all the proper information: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/NonCAVeh/NonCAVeh.pdf
I have bought serveral vehicles from other states brand new including my LT and never had a problem as long as the DMV can find this sticker.
Here is a copy of the law if you don't want to read the page:
If you are a resident of California
and buy or acquire a new car, truck or
motorcycle in another state, it must be
"California Certified" to meet
California emission laws, unless it
meets one of the exceptions listed
below.
California Law considers any
vehicle purchased with less than
7,500 miles on the odometer a NEW
vehicle. California Law also
prohibits a California resident or
business from driving their vehicle
to obtain in excess of 7,500 miles.

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Scott. Incidentally, even if the sticker is present is a smog check required. The ARB brochure seems to suggest that. Is there an exemption for motorcycles?

Tom

·
Old Dawg
3,284 Posts
There is no smog for motorcycles, which is good because they would never pass ;).

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Tom if you're looking at a GS like I think you are... ALL BMWs are "50 state" smog compliant.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hi Tom,
What new toy are you getting. If it is a GS I think Keith and you should come up for a little visit.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Tom,
Are you getting a new toy???

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eyeballing GS's

Yes, I admit it the drool is starting to dribble onto my shirt. I want a GS and I'm not giving up my LT. My wife is wondering whether I'm losing it... and maybe I am. I even priced a new one (too expensive).

Keep your eyes out.

Tom

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Elton,

I'm thinking about an 1150GS. I love the idea of going offroad in the mountains and desert... Nothing on the radar screen yet but I'll keep ya posted.

BTW, how you doing?

Tom

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eyeballing GS's

Keith,

So, I guess I don't need to worry about that detail then.

BTW, take a look at Ebay. I'd be interested in your opinion of some of the offerings.

Tom

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Hm, I don't know the exact mileage but my Lt wa still under warranty when I moved here and drove it to Cal from Illinois, they just verified the VIN and that was all.

·
Cat Herder
1,458 Posts
Good article in Friction Zone Mag.

There is a good article in the October issue of Friction Zone magazine about bringing a out of state bike to California.... ;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
tvguy said:
There is a good article in the October issue of Friction Zone magazine about bringing a out of state bike to California.... ;)
I would like to read the article. I looked up the October issue on their website and don't see a specific article about bringing in an out of state bike. Is it under the cover story "Laws for Motorcyclists?" Just want to make sure I get the right issue. Thanks.

·
Cat Herder
1,458 Posts
Friction Zone

HI Dan, sorry for the delay... FZ October issue and it was the cover story.
California info www.dmv.ca.gov

tvguy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts