BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My K12lt was not looked after before I got it. Not complaining, as I got it for a very good price. I have fixed most problems now, but am concerned about the state of the wires where they go into connectors. If I pull just slightly on most - they crumble!!
A. I cant find connectors to replace what needs replacing. Is there a list of part numbers?
B. What is the best way of cleaning up the wires that are left? I dont realy want to trace every wire and replace them. But the bike needs to have reliable electrics if I am going to keep it.
Thanks

·
Registered
12,165 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dshealey said:
Wow, never heard of that. Was the bike near the coast, with salt spray around? Overheated in storage? If the bike was in normal ambient conditions this should not be a problem.

It may be better to contact some motorcycle salvage yards and try to buy the harnesses from a crashed bike. Two here:

http://stores.ebay.com/DEEP-6-AUCTIONS_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

http://stores.ebay.com/Baja-Motorcycle-Parts-Center_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm
Cheers for the links.
Previous owner used it to commute from Greece to the UK - in winter!
Dont think he ever washed it.
No harness in the UK (where I live), I am sure it would be a nightmare to fit as well

·
Registered
12,165 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Wiring harness

I've got a generally complete wiring harness from a 2000. The only disturbances I made was to remove one of the fuse blocks and to sell off part of the rear speaker connections.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You have a PM

Hi,

I'm just down the road in Hempsted, willing to help.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Way to go

myk_edwards said:
Hi,

I'm just down the road in Hempsted, willing to help.
Way to go Myk. That's what this board is all about. :)

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
A temp work around could be to separate the connections, remove as much of the rotting insulating plastic as you can, use electric contact grease on the connectors, shove heat shrink over the wire, and put it all together.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
eatanner said:
I've got a generally complete wiring harness from a 2000. The only disturbances I made was to remove one of the fuse blocks and to sell off part of the rear speaker connections.
Cheers Eatanner, I will wtrip the beast down again and bear this in mind when I reexamine the problem. I am hoping that a few old jukebox connectors will suffice (dont ask!!)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You may want to ask the service guys at your dealer. Mine has a box of old harnesses and other bits he has allowed me to pick through. The connecters themselves are hard to come by as new replacements. Some can be found through a well stocked Amp Industries supplier but often require large minimum purchases.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts