BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The DMV is very vague on this. Has anyone here registered a new (1st title) BMW in California that was bought out of state?

Thanks,

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,908 Posts
I can't speak for CA, but I bought a new bike in TN (paid no taxes had temp tag) and registered it in AL (paid the taxes) with no trouble. I expect it would be the same.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Maybe not. CA has special emissions requirements and if you buy a bike out of state it might not meet CA specs. Don't know; but just a thought

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
copilot said:
Maybe not. CA has special emissions requirements and if you buy a bike out of state it might not meet CA specs. Don't know; but just a thought
BMW motorcycle have the decal indicating they are compliant in all 50 states. If you are talking about another brand you may want to talk to a dealer or ask the AAA.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Balance said:
The DMV is very vague on this. Has anyone here registered a new (1st title) BMW in California that was bought out of state?

Thanks,
Mine was a second title, but what's the question? May still be able to help. My only general advice is to pick up a AAA membership. They are a lot easier to deal with than the DMV.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
It will have to meet CA Emissions and you will have to pay CA Tax. If the vehicle has been previous registered and has over 7500 miles then you can bring it in state without as much hassle.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
dglenn1 said:
Mine was a second title, but what's the question? May still be able to help. My only general advice is to pick up a AAA membership. They are a lot easier to deal with than the DMV.
The AAA will not be able to help you if you purchased the vehicle from a dealer. If you bought it from a private party, no problem. Since you seem to be talking about a new bike I presume it comes from a dealer, so no joy here; DMV it is.
Now if you are talking used, with a minimum of 7,500 miles on it (I may be a tad off on the mileage) then it will be easier than brand spanking new, especially if you bought it from a private party as you can use the AAA service.
You will need to know where the VIN and engine numbers are to show the person inspecting the bike.
When I first bought my 99 LT from Utah the girl at the AAA asked me for that info and I had no clue. I called BMW of Hollywood and of course they gave me the wrong instructions "You need to take the Tupperware off". NOT!!!:mad: I eventually figured it out.

·
Old Dawg
3,282 Posts
I purchased a new LT from a dealer in Idaho and had no problem registering it in California but it did have the 50 state sticker.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone,
Scott, your answer nailed it, much appreciated.
See you all on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
You should not have an issue. Title in hand, DMV office or perferably a local AAA office and your good. Bikes do not require emmissions test (smog)! All Good. Any specific issues let me know, I'll pull the info from somewhere :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts