BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a C-Bailey on my LT and loved it. I'm considering a 25.5x25.5 for my GT. Does anyone have any experience with it. C-Bailey told me as long as I stay below 120 mph I will be fine. Because of the large surface area and higher speeds, they have had some crack. He did not recommend taller shields for the GT.

I currently have the stock BMW tall, but it still does not provide a quiet ride and my arms and shoulders get fairly wet in rain. I have to ride with it full up to get the least amount of buffeting and have to look through it. Actually, I never been able to ride looking over the top of any windshield without significant wind noise.

Any suggestions or experience will be appreciated.

Thanks,
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,545 Posts
As with the LT, there are lots of windshield choices for the GT. And I've pretty much tried them all. :)

As he said the GT is a fast bike, so any large windshield can give you problems at high speeds. There's lots of good info in this thread, but here's my summary:

The Cee Bailey is better than stock, but not as good as it is on the LT. Flexing and cracking was a huge issue because Cee Bailey switched to a thinner plastic, which they've since gotten rid of. But I've still had cracking issues with their thicker shields.

If you're looking for LT-style protection, then go with the AeroFlow, and add their AeroGards. You can see pics here. Yes it's pricey, but it works. For example, I can run the AeroFlow down lower than I could with any of the others and still get great protection, and the AeroGards take all the wind (and bugs) off my arms. They work so well, in fact, that I can wear my mesh gloves down into the 50's without too much trouble.

The second-best choice I found is the CalSci. It's the closest to the stock shape, but the curvature and cutouts eliminate most of the buffeting and back pressure. This also retains the "sporty" looks of the bike, which is important to some folks. But it does tend to scratch rather easily, which is a concern.

Parabellum also makes a windshield with basically stock looks but better curvature. I haven't tried that one so I can't comment on how well it works.

And there is also the VStream from ZTechnik. It has the advantage of being polycarbonate so it won't shatter in an impact.

So it really depends on what's important to you, and what you expect out of it.

If you're not 100% sure, I do have a couple of barely-used windshields in the garage. I'd be glad to pass one on so you can try it. If you like it, we can work something out. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ken.

I was also considering the V-stream, but was not sure if I should get the standard or tall. I'm 5' 8" and the C-Bailey rep recommended their 25.5x25.5. Looking at V-stream site, I think the standard would do. I noticed the V-Stream is coated. Does it have the same problem as the BMW shields with getting cloudy?

I'm mainly looking for quiet airflow around my helmet. I'd like to stay dryer, but also like having more air on my torso, to ride cooler. I about cooked on the LT with temps >90.

What are you using currently on your bike and what shields to you have lying around?

Thanks,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,565 Posts
Hi Dick! I have the VStream standard on my GT (had it on both, actually) and it works fine for me. I'm 6'3" and tall in the torso. I've also speed tested it to 140mph and beyond with no cracks or fractures so that resolves the other worry. You know you won't keep that thing below 120 if you get the chance. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I tried the stock windshield followed by the VStream. My co-rider and I both finally concluded that the biggest wind issue that we had was the wind coming around the fairing below the mirrors. I opened my wallet and ordered the Aeroflow shield and the aeroguards. I installed the aeroguards first and tried it with the VStream shield. While hugely better, it still was not nearly as good as the combination of both Aeroflow items together. Our GT was probably not going to survive with us had we not solved the wind issue. The Aeroflow combination did it. The bike is now as quiet and smooth as our LT once was. It is almost criminal how much money the Aeorflow costs. But, they are worth every penny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks David and Charles:

A friend of mine just bought a used '07 GT with a V-Stream on it. It only had 700 miles but was running rough when he got it. It's currently at BMW ATL getting the problem sorted out. When he gets it back, I'll ride it and see how the V-Stream performs. I haven't measured it, but I think it the tall.

The AeroFlow is pricey. Do you think it would work well with the shield only, as I do want air on my lower torso? The LT really kept too much air off in hot climates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
grifscoots said:
My Cee Bailey just cracked on our Big Bend trip. It was, uhhhh, the wind. I've ordered a Cal Sci cause I've never had one. It was $185 and by sending them my old windshield in their box, they deduct $60 off the bill.
Hi Greg,

That's what I'm worried about, "the wind". :eek: I've heard that C-Bailey has been having wind problems on the GT. I loved the C-Bailey I had on my LT, but it appears that it is not the shield for the GT. Let me know how you like the Cal Sci.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
on the other hand-bought a CB 2 1/2 years ago. Soon after rode down to San Diego and it developed a crack by one of the mounting holes. Called them and they said-send a pic. I did and since is was less than 1 yr old they sent me a new one. Apparently for a while there, they tried to skimp on a thinner design which resulted in more vibration and resulting cracks. The new one is thicker than OEM. I have the 3+3+ and very pleased with it. Have about 20k miles on it and no problems. I am 6' and it is the perfect height for me. :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
I'm 6'1" and ride straight up in the saddle (I have the bar risers, etc.) I've found that although wind is cut by raising the w/s to its tallest position, buffeting is actually reduced by lowering it to about 3/4s. You get more of a constant air flow and can see over the plastic. I have the California Scientific and it is quiter than the stock w/s, but the plastic isn't as clear and has a blue tint to it. The C-Baileys I see appear to be much thicker.

As a PS, I had the tall Cal Sci, but took it back. It was scary in high winds at speed and at its lowest position was still too tall and wide for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kapod2t said:
I'm 6'1" and ride straight up in the saddle (I have the bar risers, etc.) I've found that although wind is cut by raising the w/s to its tallest position, buffeting is actually reduced by lowering it to about 3/4s. You get more of a constant air flow and can see over the plastic. I have the California Scientific and it is quiter than the stock w/s, but the plastic isn't as clear and has a blue tint to it. The C-Baileys I see appear to be much thicker.

As a PS, I had the tall Cal Sci, but took it back. It was scary in high winds at speed and at its lowest position was still too tall and wide for me.
So now you have the standard Cal Sci?. If it works for you a 6'1' it should work great for me at 5'8". How is it in heavy rain? Does water come throught the vent?

Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MarinPhil said:
on the other hand-bought a CB 2 1/2 years ago. Soon after rode down to San Diego and it developed a crack by one of the mounting holes. Called them and they said-send a pic. I did and since is was less than 1 yr old they sent me a new one. Apparently for a while there, they tried to skimp on a thinner design which resulted in more vibration and resulting cracks. The new one is thicker than OEM. I have the 3+3+ and very pleased with it. Have about 20k miles on it and no problems. I am 6' and it is the perfect height for me. :bmw:
I really loved the C-Bailey that was on my LT and thought it was very well made. I wonder if they've had any cracking since using thicker material.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
REWDOC said:
So now you have the standard Cal Sci?. If it works for you a 6'1' it should work great for me at 5'8". How is it in heavy rain? Does water come throught the vent?

Thanks,
Yes, the standard height. It works great for me. I hardly ever use it all the way up, even in heavy rain. I can't stand looking through it. Also, I only wear a 3/4s helmet and either goggles or sunglasses and rain isn't much of a problem. With a full face, it should be a piece of cake. Came back from Vegas yesterday in a good rain up from Bakersfield.

I've never had any problem with my Cee Baileys on the Harleys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
I have a Cee Bailey's +4 tall, +3 width as does one of ridding buddies. The early Cee Bailey's were made of thinner material, ours are at least 1/4" thick and I haven't heard of any of these cracking. I've had mine up to 150mph with no problems. We like the Cee Bailey's and it solves most of the wind management problems.
Last weekend we did a three day, 1000mi ride through southern Missouri and Arkansas. The wind was terrible with gusts in the 30's and 40's; it never let up for all three days. No problems with the C-B's windshields set in any position.
I looked at the CalSci and the AeroFlow and I didn't like the material they make their windshields from. The AeroFlow is the worst, it looks like crap even when it's clean. I like the AeroFlow's design but for it's cost they should use better materials.

Bruce Hodges
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bruce2000ltc said:
I have a Cee Bailey's +4 tall, +3 width as does one of ridding buddies. The early Cee Bailey's were made of thinner material, ours are at least 1/4" thick and I haven't heard of any of these cracking. I've had mine up to 150mph with no problems. We like the Cee Bailey's and it solves most of the wind management problems.
Last weekend we did a three day, 1000mi ride through southern Missouri and Arkansas. The wind was terrible with gusts in the 30's and 40's; it never let up for all three days. No problems with the C-B's windshields set in any position.
I looked at the CalSci and the AeroFlow and I didn't like the material they make their windshields from. The AeroFlow is the worst, it looks like crap even when it's clean. I like the AeroFlow's design but for it's cost they should use better materials.

Bruce Hodges
Thanks for the input Bruce. I really like the C-Bailey Products.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
spinedr said:
I found a windshield by Wunderlich It has wings included like the AeroFlow, and their AeroGards just an option Doc. Dose anyone in this site has experience with this set up?

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WA&Category_Code=K1200GT06-C
Thanks for the link, Gauthama. The tall windshield and wings look really good. I also wonder if anyone has tried this shield.

This site has some very nice accessories for the GT.

Thanks again,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
REWDOC said:
Any suggestions or experience will be appreciated.

Thanks,
I currently have a +2 +2 cee bailey and a -2 0. The -2 0 is a nice summer screen when I'm looking for LOTS of air. The +2 +2 is a disappointment. There is a very narrow sweet spot where I can get some level of quiet and reduced wind blast, but not enough for my liking.

I'm planning on getting an Aeroflow. I had the full aeroflow setup on my older K12 RS and loved what it did to produce a quiet pocket of stil air.

If you are interested in the +2 +2 screen send me a PM.

BTW I'm 6' tall but I'm short leg/tall torso, so figure me for about 6'4" when considering the above oppinions.

-JD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jjd118 said:
I currently have a +2 +2 cee bailey and a -2 0. The -2 0 is a nice summer screen when I'm looking for LOTS of air. The +2 +2 is a disappointment. There is a very narrow sweet spot where I can get some level of quiet and reduced wind blast, but not enough for my liking.

I'm planning on getting an Aeroflow. I had the full aeroflow setup on my older K12 RS and loved what it did to produce a quiet pocket of stil air.

If you are interested in the +2 +2 screen send me a PM.

BTW I'm 6' tall but I'm short leg/tall torso, so figure me for about 6'4" when considering the above oppinions.

-JD[/QUOTE

Thanks,

I already ordered at +3,+2. It should be here this week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Well I bit the bullet and ordered the AerFlow shield and guards. I have not seen any unhappy AeroFlow users on any of the forums so I will give them a try. Might possibly arrive this week but with the holiday it may not make it until next week. This 1300GT is one super bike but I didn't like the air buffeting at all.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top