BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear ABS pump (I didn't know there were two) has failed on my 2005 LT, into which I have far to much money already. Have read something about bypassing the pump(s) when they fail, resulting in no ABS and no servo assist.

Anybody know anything about this? Has done it? Braking effect left? Safety? Cost of doing this?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did mine about two years ago. Cost of parts was $120, 44" SS braided hose, 3 couplers from Auto Zone, 4 plugs (contact Saddleman for these) and new crush washers, fluid.

Stitches, bandages and blood transfusion was extra. Just kiddin!

You need to un-dress the beast though, while you can do it remove the relay so the dash lights don't flash, it is the green one under the tank. Remove the one dash light which illuminates with ! inside triangle (or use a piece of electrical tape) and you're home free.

Brake power is same as before but zero assist. The pump still spins up and whizz'es but it is isolated from the system.

Just do not "grab" a handful of brake because it will lock up.

Hope this helps you in making your decision, take your time doing it and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Contact Saddleman. He just plugged his and bypassed with fittings and lines. This way the pump is still in the circuit therefore Speedo and everything else running thru pump still work.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who replied. I'm having the dealer do it. I've already had one skirmish with the Tupperware, replacing the windshield actuator and had a dozen screws left over and that, like my one-and-only colostomy, will do for my lifetime. The shop manager is on notice to replace all the missing screws he finds.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks to all who replied. I'm having the dealer do it. I've already had one skirmish with the Tupperware, replacing the windshield actuator and had a dozen screws left over and that, like my one-and-only colostomy, will do for my lifetime. The shop manager is on notice to replace all the missing screws he finds.
I can't believe a dealer would offer that.
How big was the waiver you had to sign? :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer didn't even question it. Said they'd done one or some before. Y'all have surprised me with y'all's surprise.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Count me as another one that is shocked a dealer would open him(her)self up to the liability that would create. Makes me wonder if the dealer really knows what the Service Manager is doing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It depends on which ABS you have installed If you have the IABS it is easy but you have to keep the electonics attached you can remove the pump and just unscrew the electrics from the top of the pump and tape it up. All the plumbing is easily adapted and made safe. Motorworks in the uk do the two pieces of pipe you need or you can fabricate your own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts