BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. Bike wont start, and I suspect the alarm system. I read some post here but cant find a bypass instructions for the 2003 KLTe. I am somewhat confused with the wires as to which have to be reconnected. All video I have seen shows different...:unsure:
Thank you in advance for your advices
2003 KLTe

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200 LT (88K on 2020/08/13)
99 Posts
Motoman:

I too have an 03 LTE and thought about this, this You Tube Video from Kirk at Ilinois Motorrad Club covers primarily new version, but also covers the older, just a couple of jumpers.

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200 LT (88K on 2020/08/13)
99 Posts
And here is a screen shot from near the video's end.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply. Agreed on his video, they are good. But in this instance, I looked at the frame photos he added to his video, but mine is completely different. No orange plug, only nine prawns compare to 12. .... dont want to mess the whole thing but the bike won't budge.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,426 Posts
Look HERE for all the answers. What you saw above is for the very early dealer installed alarm. You will be looking for a 12 pin connector and need to jumper two pairs of wires.

Reactions: hschisler

·
Registered
65 Posts
Look HERE for all the answers. What you saw above is for the very early dealer installed alarm. You will be looking for a 12 pin connector and need to jumper two pairs of wires.
downloaded :)
Thanks !

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for sharing. Will go about the surgery today!! LOL. Stay tuned.
a quick question. The 12 pin connector, has only nine prawns? this connector is to the left of the bike looking forward. On the right side, there is a 6 pin connector. Unplug and leave it as is disconnected?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,426 Posts
The only one you need to deal with is the 12 pin shown here. There may only be nine wires. The one on the right is for the motion sensor to the alarm.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi. Just did what you said. Bike still won't start. I am thinking starter not working. When press start button a faint click and done. Is that the starter gone south? how can I evaluate the starter? Hate to bug you for some infos, but I really appreciate your time and knowledge.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hi. Just did what you said. Bike still won't start. I am thinking starter not working. When press start button a faint click and done. Is that the starter gone south? how can I evaluate the starter? Hate to bug you for some infos, but I really appreciate your time and knowledge.
Thank you.
(1) Beginning late 2001, BMW installed a so-called "smart" Starter Relay on all K1200LT - this newer type Starter Relay will not execute (trigger) the starter if the battery voltage is below a certain threshold. BMW has not published the exact low treshold value but experience shows this to be roughly between 11.5 and 11.8 volts.

IT IS IMPORTANT to test you battery voltage with KEY-ON, before you hit the starter - the value "at rest" with KEY-OFF is pretty much meaningless as this is not HOW the Starter Relay internal circuitry is measuring it.

SO.... open the seat, get ready with your reliable multimeter, turn Key-On, wait 5 seconds (typical scenario in real life so as to let the ABS modultator self-check AND the fuel pump prime) then take the voltage reading. If the battery is below the threshold, the Starter Relay will not execute , not even a faint click - neither will you see any warning on dash. I would charge it overnignt AND get the battery load tested.

(2) If the Battery reading is above 12 volts in conditions mentionned above, then the next troubleshooting step will be to check if you can see the RED engine temp warning after Key-On (before you hit starter). This warning is related to activation of the safety starter interlocks (kill switch, neutral, side-stand...). On a 2003 like you have mentionned the engine temp warning is as shown below...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,426 Posts
One test you can do for the starter itself is to use a length of heavy wire and hold one end on the battery + and touch the other end to the starter tie point in the photo. If the starter is OK it will spin.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you. I am now looking at purchasing a new battery as well. That could be the answer to my issue! Thank you for your help and time.

Jean-Noel

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
(1) Beginning late 2001, BMW installed a so-called "smart" Starter Relay on all K1200LT - this newer type Starter Relay will not execute (trigger) the starter if the battery voltage is below a certain threshold. BMW has not published the exact low treshold value but experience shows this to be roughly between 11.5 and 11.8 volts.

IT IS IMPORTANT to test you battery voltage with KEY-ON, before you hit the starter - the value "at rest" with KEY-OFF is pretty much meaningless as this is not HOW the Starter Relay internal circuitry is measuring it.

SO.... open the seat, get ready with your reliable multimeter, turn Key-On, wait 5 seconds (typical scenario in real life so as to let the ABS modultator self-check AND the fuel pump prime) then take the voltage reading. If the battery is below the threshold, the Starter Relay will not execute , not even a faint click - neither will you see any warning on dash. I would charge it overnignt AND get the battery load tested.

(2) If the Battery reading is above 12 volts in conditions mentionned above, then the next troubleshooting step will be to check if you can see the RED engine temp warning after Key-On (before you hit starter). This warning is related to activation of the safety starter interlocks (kill switch, neutral, side-stand...). On a 2003 like you have mentionned the engine temp warning is as shown below...

View attachment 172411
Thank you very much for your time and guidance. I believe the battery is the issue. Going to check the battery later today and get a fresh one.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Please help. Bike wont start, and I suspect the alarm system. I read some post here but cant find a bypass instructions for the 2003 KLTe. I am somewhat confused with the wires as to which have to be reconnected. All video I have seen shows different...:unsure:
Thank you in advance for your advices
2003 KLTe
I have a 2004. Manufactured in 03 ,designated as a
2004 John Zeiler once sent me a pic of the bypass plug. This is what he sent.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a 2004. Manufactured in 03 ,designated as a View attachment 172441 2004 John Zeiler once sent me a pic of the bypass plug. This is what he sent.
Thank you for the help you gave me. really appreciate it. It turns out, the battery was out, so I changed it with a new one. However I also disconnected the alarm (not removed yet!). But no more key fob... It's a good thing. Thank you, and perhaps meet you on the road...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

View attachment 172411
Thank you, Merci for your help>>>>> The battery was the issue. Duh..... Picky BMW motorcycle.
Thank you

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One test you can do for the starter itself is to use a length of heavy wire and hold one end on the battery + and touch the other end to the starter tie point in the photo. If the starter is OK it will spin. View attachment 172412
Thank you for your guidance. It turns out to be the battery. Changed it and all is good. But still cut off the alarm, which could have been the next issue. No more key fob. hello, It's a good thing...:) Thank you and grateful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts