BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all;

Not def yet, but looks like my ABS pump may have finally died after 16 years and 330k miles.
I saw some posts of bypassing that to "normal" braking, which is fine by me.
Most of my 48 years of riding I had normal brakes.
Anyone have a post of instructions?
How to get the speedometer to work without going thru the ABS monitoring?

Zeke

P.S, I talked to the module re-builders guys who dont rebuild the 2002 and up models yet. IABS

Reactions: Patric

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,925 Posts
You pretty much have to keep the electronics board from the ABS if you want brake lights and Spedo and Odo. Other wise just put a union up in the front on the frame where the control and wheel circuits are and tie them together (see picture). On the rear you need to get a custom line made to go from the rear caliper hard line to the Master Cylinder (don't have a shot of that).

You can leave the module installed but you need to open up the end (where the plug goes) and disconnect the leads to the servo pumps. Have you run a GS-911 test yet and have a fault code? A couple are easy fixes (high pressure in wheel circuit) but most are not.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Hi Zeke & John , I think my 2002 LT's ABS is going bad too. I hope to get thru the winter down here in Florida with it , & do the bypass when we get back to Michigan where my tools are..:wave Thank You for the bypass picture and info John !

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You pretty much have to keep the electronics board from the ABS if you want brake lights and Spedo and Odo. Other wise just put a union up in the front on the frame where the control and wheel circuits are and tie them together (see picture). On the rear you need to get a custom line made to go from the rear caliper hard line to the Master Cylinder (don't have a shot of that).

You can leave the module installed but you need to open up the end (where the plug goes) and disconnect the leads to the servo pumps. Have you run a GS-911 test yet and have a fault code? A couple are easy fixes (high pressure in wheel circuit) but most are not.

i have run the test with my gs911, not exactly sure what i'm looking at/for. All it says when I TRY A abs fault reset is possible electrical issue. i will post a couple pics and i'm sure all you can help. run the gs911 on the RT is a piece of cake. the LT not so much.

Zeke

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,925 Posts
It should give you a fault code and text description of the fault. That is what I am after.

You cannot reset a fault with the 911 on the iABS you have to fix the issue first and it will self clear.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,925 Posts
How do you repair the high pressure failure ? Mine is 2005 and the rear high pressure side is failed.
Often that is caused by a stuck relief valve. They are the big domes on top of the ABS unit. Match up the correct reservoir (short is rear) and remove the dome. You may have to move the output port slightly to be able to get a socket on there. Then cycle the little piston and replace. I think it was 22 MM.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It should give you a fault code and text description of the fault. That is what I am after.

You cannot reset a fault with the 911 on the iABS you have to fix the issue first and it will self clear.

Had to do all the GS911 Updates. Now it makes more sense. here is what i see. brake bleed or relief valve.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,925 Posts
I would pop off the relief valve and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would pop off the relief valve and see what happens.

ok, here we go.. thru step by step troubleshooting, have not done any real work yet. just checking obvious stuff.
the bike goes thru its check and instantly goes to fault, light flashing fast. I put in a brand new battery, Odyssey.
the front brake lever powers up the abs pump, the rear does not. i checked right at the foot brake plug. it shows normally closed and opens when i depress the brake. not sure if that is correct, but shows to me the switch is working. I have to follow that wire around to check the wires and whatever plugs there are. not sure because of the failure light with high pressure rear, IF it prevents the rear brake from activating the pump. i will flush first, due anyways and see where we go from there.
to remove the relief valve, looks like i have to remove the ABS unit. oh JOY.
Thanks for the continued help.

Zeke

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,925 Posts
OK on the switch as it is normally closed and opens when activated. The pump circuit is triggered by both the switch and pressure in the line. If it has the high pressure fault still showing you will not get the rear pump to work until that is fixed. I have never seen this fault clear with a flush, only the relief valve. You do not have to remove the unit to pull the relief valve if you can get a socket in there. Just put an open end wrench on the output port and turn it far enough to get a socket on the relief valve (pull the rubber cover up and off).

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK on the switch as it is normally closed and opens when activated. The pump circuit is triggered by both the switch and pressure in the line. If it has the high pressure fault still showing you will not get the rear pump to work until that is fixed. I have never seen this fault clear with a flush, only the relief valve. You do not have to remove the unit to pull the relief valve if you can get a socket in there. Just put an open end wrench on the output port and turn it far enough to get a socket on the relief valve (pull the rubber cover up and off).

thanks for the info AGAIN.
looks awful tight in there. Not sure i can get a 27 mm socket in there. on the 02 it sits where the valve face the rear. i will take a look again.
but you are correct, I did the flush, no change. so down to the pressure relief.
Let you tomorrow afternoon.

Zeke

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Could you get a crows foot in there on it ?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could you get a crows foot in there on it ?
now that's possible.. i have a full set, not sure if it goes to that size.
will let you know

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,925 Posts
I forgot you have a 2002, that does make it a bit more of a challenge. May be able to remove the reverser controller to be able to get in there. I would rather pull that than the ABS unit. Just keep track of the big wires and where they go. Should be just one nut on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mr. john;

ok i got that one loose and out. difficult, but yes i figured if you move the reverser you can barely reach it with an extra deep.
had it out seemed to be a little stuck,was very clean, exercised it quite a bit reinstalled and SOL.. same issue. Only thing left I can figure is what ever reads the signal from the board is bad. sigh. EBAY here I come.. Any other thoughts. Think I am down to the ABS UNIT failure..
It happens we move on.
I will say for the week that she was back on the road was PURE joy. The RT is great but it aint a LT.. Sorry RT fans.
Both are great bikes.

Zeke

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,925 Posts
There are two sets of transducers that actually measure the pressure. I suppose one of them could be bad or there is something clogging the output on the rear circuit causing pressure to be too high. Maybe Module Masters will be up and running on rebuilds soon.

Attachments

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
There is a guy on Facebook parting out a 2002 LT I can message him for a price on his ABS unit.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are two sets of transducers that actually measure the pressure. I suppose one of them could be bad or there is something clogging the output on the rear circuit causing pressure to be too high. Maybe Module Masters will be up and running on rebuilds soon.
i called module masters and they said they still dont have the rebuild for ABS111 ready yet, still saying a few months.
but from other posts, they have been saying that for a few years.
EBAY, around 200 and up and take my chances.

Zeke

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is a guy on Facebook parting out a 2002 LT I can message him for a price on his ABS unit.
please. that would help out. I only see a few out there.
keep me posted

Zeke

Reactions: saddleman
1 - 20 of 23 Posts