BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 99 and 05 LT, I decided to address my curiosity and investigate what the RT was all about. Never had one. So...last week I traded the 05 LT in for a new 2011 R1200RT.

Wow is it different! Like so many mention, the RT feels so LIGHT! I knew it was a few hundred pounds lighter but wow. This thing flicks around so easy. I did not get it with a topcase and I venture the lack of one as compared to the LT having one makes a difference there. I feel I have more control with the RT brakes than the LT. The spouse has gone with me only once and she needs to adapt to it as well.

The twin feels so different than the brick. Sure feel the 'wiggling' the Boxer makes but it smooths out a lot at speed. Throttle response is fast/crisp. Plenty of get up and go! Break-in says to vary the engine speed and that's a little tough on the major highways I take to/from dealer/work and home. I only have a tad over 200 miles on it. And the gas mileage seems really good - in the 50's. I hear that some of these RT's burn oil and that it probably a function of not being broken in yet. So I have my eye on that. I was surprised how much oil temperature has on the sight-glass level.

And I was wondering what a non-water-cooled bike in FL would be like - especially waiting at traffic lights. I guess the other RT's and those Harleys seem to function fine and so far, the temp gauge has not gone above the half-way position.

Don't know if the owner's manual specs for tire pressure is right but the dealer had about 12 lb higher than what the manual says. Bike was rather bouncy until I dropped it down. Bike has ESA II and I have it set as soft as it can go (to duplicate the LT's ride??) I find the windshield and the bike as a whole, cut through the wind (and gusty wind) rather well. The top outer 'corners' of the windshield remind me of the VStream windshield I had on the LT.

Of course the switchgear has changed. Even the starter button is different. And the horn is underwhelming as compared to the LT. But hey, I'll either adapt of change what I can.

Did I mention it feels light? And I wanted to go back to a manual center stand (less to go wrong and I like using the center stand when I leave the bike (at work or at home).

It seems that the large-looking side cases do not look as large on the inside. On the inside they seem smaller than the LT and I thought the LT was smallish.

Got the BMW GPS mount that fits between the handlebar bolts/ignition key area and I'm not sure I like it there. Kind of expensive to not like it so I guess I'll live with it for awhile.

The lovebug season has just started down here and it pains me to ride the new RT and get it all splattered.

Anyway, it seems I am being re-introduced to the riding experience once again. I know having a new bike can do that but it seems rather dramatic to me in this bike change.

I still have a bunch of LT stuff like oil filters, spark plugs and air filter, tank bag, a brand new final drive, service manuals, etc.

Any words of RT wisdom from all you sages out there are welcome!

Jon

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Congratulations.

All is well... and do not worry about the Florida heat...

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you are droning on the highway, you can vary your rpms by shifting more, up and down, that way you keep the same speed but keep your rpms moving!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, many happy miles as it continues to amaze you.
Don't sweat the heat (I just had to say that). I ride in desert temps most of the year, like one day it was 117f coming out of Utah on I-15 down to Mesquite, NV. City traffic is no problem either. Enjoy the bike!
Dave

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The best thing you can do for the engine at this point is large throttle openings at low rpm's.
You don't want to lug it but the large throttle opening puts a lot of pressure on the rings and that's what seats them....Once they're seated in then it won't use oil anymore..

Of course the best and most effective time to do this is on that first ride home from the dealership

Good Luck

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to the club Jon and congratulations.
I collected mine today and went for a long introductory spin. I changed from a GS which I had for three years so I am getting used to everything being in a different place, i.e. mirrors and indicators. For a bike that is heavier than a GS on paper, it feels lighter. I am quite impressed so far. It's is a supremely comfortable ride.

The dealer was a little surprised when he heard I wanted to change from a GS. Fingers crossed that long term I will continue to prefer the RT.

DubMark

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi. Like you, I had a K1200LT (2009). I kept it for about 16 months. While the bike is a great bike to ride, and comfortable, I simply did not like the heaviness of the bike. That black bitch was sooooo top heavy. I was always concerned about finding a good level place to park, or turn around in, etc,etc,etc. Now, I have the RT and couldn't be happier. I love riding the RT. Both are nice rides, but the RT fits me better. When riding in cold temperatures, the LT feels about 10-15 degrees warmer than the RT due to the better weather protection, but a pair of riding pants and heated gear evens the odds. After trading the LT for the RT about 9 months ago, I would do it again. Hope you enjoy yours as much as i have enjoyed mine....

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
johnhunter44 said:
Hi. Like you, I had a K1200LT (2009). I kept it for about 16 months. While the bike is a great bike to ride, and comfortable, I simply did not like the heaviness of the bike. That black bitch was sooooo top heavy. I was always concerned about finding a good level place to park, or turn around in, etc,etc,etc. Now, I have the RT and couldn't be happier. I love riding the RT. Both are nice rides, but the RT fits me better. When riding in cold temperatures, the LT feels about 10-15 degrees warmer than the RT due to the better weather protection, but a pair of riding pants and heated gear evens the odds. After trading the LT for the RT about 9 months ago, I would do it again. Hope you enjoy yours as much as i have enjoyed mine....

Ditto in spades!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts