BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my LT friends and Bug Guard buyers I am moving on down the road from my '03 LT to a mint 08' FJR1300. Many factors, no longer ride 2 up, have always missed the power coming to the LT, from sport bikes, never dropped it but never got used to the low speed handling and I am sorry to say, the service has dropped off dramatically at Bob's. Plus the unbelievable cost of repairs.

I had a clutch installed 3000 miles ago, it has been in their shop for a week (waiting for other LT's to get worked on) and it may take another week for the install of another clutch (rear seal) leaked all over everything. Yes, it's on their dime but such a PITA. It also needs new shocks, (certainly nobody's fault). Combine the 2nd. clutch, the tire on backwards (previous post), the drive shaft seal coming off (from first clutch job) and just the over-all attitude I am concerned about the quality of work being done there.

Now on the other side, their sales manager Ashton could not be of more help. He is the one ALWAYS going to bat for the customers and he is the one getting me a very good deal on this FJR. Now if he could only work on the bikes...

My six years with the LT were for the most part pretty good. Many miles of comfortable riding. I will have to spend a couple of bucks on a heated seat to get the FJR comfortable for winter riding but it has heated grips, plus I'll have to install a XM radio.

I certainly hope the FJR boards are as friendly and helpful as this one has been! You guys (and gals) have never failed to answer a question or help with a problem. I will still be making the Bug-Guards, although many of the newer models come with their own radiator protection, so we'll see how long I keep going with them but for now they are still out there.

So if you are riding a LT in Maryland and you see a gray haired dude fly by on a FJR, wave, I will!

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
Hope you enjoy the new bike. Stop by and say Hi when you can. As you know, many folks on here don't ride an LT any longer.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Gene,

We love our 05 FJR, My S/O calls it her favorite MC of all the bikes she has ridden and owned. We had a FD leak on a trip back in 07 but just watched it while on tour and when we returned home here in the PNW dropped bike off at dealer and it was fixed in 7 days, all parts and labor for less than $275.00 .. No other problems prior or since...

It is a great bike.. Good Luck

emsweeney said:
Thanks for the good wishes. I plan on joining the FJR form when I have a minute to sit down and really get into it. I'm sure it will be hours of fun reading. I just better not find a final drive issue! (LOL)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Been good havin you around. Don't be a stranger. FJ's a great ride, but my back doesn't think so. Ride safe, often and far!

·
Registered
5,857 Posts

·
IBR# 366
16,533 Posts
Nope, no final drive issues on the FJR, nor clutch issues, for that matter. But do keep an eye on the rear subframe.

Other than that, enjoy the new bike. It's a lot lighter and more powerful than the LT, so do pay attention out there. :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to get all new fluids for the new bike yesterday and was sorry to see somethings never change from dealer to dealer! I spend 5 minutes convincing the Yamaha dealer that their Yamaha golf cart clutch lube is not what I was looking for to change my rear end fluid, sigh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts