BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing a pair of billet aluminum windshield trim pieces to replace the broken plastic chrome ones. I hand machined them from 2024 T3, counterbored the holes for the heads of the stainless cap screws then buffed them to a nice sheen. They look good and I won't worry about them flying off as I'm going down the highway.

·
IBR# 366
16,568 Posts
Interesting. Got any pics?

Although, I've never had one of these come off at speed, or even heard of that happening.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Need pictures to reach the 1000 words:)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
meese said:
Interesting. Got any pics?

Although, I've never had one of these come off at speed, or even heard of that happening.
The fingers that were to grip the metal tabs underneath were all broken off so I had them held on with RTV. I really didn't trust that solution. It's raining now, so I can't get any pics (not daylight ones aynway).

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RonKMiller said:
OMG! For a piece of "chrome" plated plastic? :eek:

The world has indeed gone stark raving mad. :mad:
Yep, just looked at the parts fiche at A&S..$27 each

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Oh great. MORE farkles. JUST what I need... :bmw:

I always wanted to put some LED's in there hooked up to the turn signals. :D

We want pix!!
Next thang ya know, somebodyz gonna lengthen a pair, embed a rubber strip and motorize 'em ..... 'got wipers!!' :eek: :cool:

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Hey Channing:

Speaking of Arks: (true story and just a wee bit off topic..)

I was piloting a hot air balloon approaching a Baptist Church last spring in Tucson on an absolutely beautiful Sunday morning. The sky was crystal blue, the sun was shining, the doves were cooing and it was 60 degrees. The wind was maybe 2 knots, well below normal walking speed. All the windows in the church were wide open to take advantage of the fresh air. You get the picture. I could hear the chorus clearly - along with my passengers - from one quarter mile away. (sound travels really good in cool, dense air and especially early in the morning with the lack of background traffic noise).

As I drifted directly over the roof I dropped down to an altitude of maybe 100 feet, then switched over to what we call a "stealth" burner: much more quiet than the typical noisy main burners and almost completely silent.

I waited for a pause in the sermon and shouted out in my rather (...ahem) strong baritone voice: (with apologies to Bill Cosby)

" I... .. WANT ..YOU ..TO .. BUILD .. AN

.. ARK !! " :eek:

You could have heard a pin drop - before a hundred or more true believers poked their heads out the windows at one time (with their mouths wide open looking to the heavens) - and started laughing hysterically.

I don't know much about religion and such, but I can GUARANTEE you that God has a sense of humor! (...he would need one since he created US!) ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts