BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

buying some metal valve stems from US, anyone want in?

4K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  billsmith 
#1 ·
I'm about to order a pair of metal valve stems from a US supplier since I can't seem to find (at least not online) anyone locally that supplies them.
US$7 the pair and ~ $6 shipping....

anyone want a set while I'm at it...? would reduce the shipping costs even with posting on internally...
let me know by tomorrow afternoon.. (21 June) when I'll order.
Cheers
Chris

#4 ·
Count me in :dance:

#5 ·
bfree said:
Chris,
I have a query, can you fit these units without removing the tyre?
I saw a post from RonKMiller (who also advocated these stems as suitable) that you can fit them without removing the wheels off the bike... I think it'd be a bit hard as you still have to get them inside the bead and screwed together..... I'll be doing them as I change my tyres over. Happy to get them for you though Brian!

Greg.. a pair for you too, mate. :)

Was just speaking to Hilton on the phone... he said he put metal ones in years ago when first got his bike (new 2006) and always checks them and has had no need to replace them.

anyone else?

#7 ·
Hey all,
Might be an opportunity to get together over a coffee. Even if for others who do not want/need the valves. Would be great to catch up and share info about our experiences. Maybe there is a common place that suits all. Open to suggestions. For me Saturday morning is out due to Golf with my son.

#8 ·
DanMartin said:
I prefer the ones with the nut on the outside of the wheel as shown in this thread.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60058&highlight=camel

I get mine from patchboy.com.
Hey, thanks for the link Dan.... that site is the opposite of every other site I've found & searched today, where they only have none or two maybe suitable... patchboy has too many I wouldn't know which ones to pick!
Got a direct link to the "Camel" ones?

I thought finding suitable metal stems should be simple... been anything but!

The KurveyGirl site seemed reasonable... I first found them on Ebay at $10 a pair, then checked their website and they were much cheaper with same postage... then found Ron's post that mentioned the same ones as being suitable in that same thread.
Been a bit confusing as to what the actual correct size are for the LT, that thread suggests 0.453" (12mm?) stem is correct.

The BMW Fiche at MaxBMW only says 15mm diameter.

#9 ·
cws said:
Hey, thanks for the link Dan.... that site is the opposite of every other site I've found & searched today, where they only have none or two maybe suitable... patchboy has too many I wouldn't know which ones to pick!
Got a direct link to the "Camel" ones?

I thought finding suitable metal stems should be simple... been anything but!

The KurveyGirl site seemed reasonable... I first found them on Ebay at $10 a pair, then checked their website and they were much cheaper with same postage... then found Ron's post that mentioned the same ones as being suitable in that same thread.
Been a bit confusing as to what the actual correct size are for the LT, that thread suggests 0.453" (12mm?) stem is correct.

The BMW Fiche at MaxBMW only says 15mm diameter.
patchboy part # 17-559

http://patchboy.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=17-559&Category_Code=6-3

.453" is what you want. These come with 2 rubber washers. Throw the larger one away.

Camel is the brand sold in many Auto parts stores.
I think they were Camel 0445

#11 ·
bfree said:
Hey all,
Might be an opportunity to get together over a coffee. Even if for others who do not want/need the valves. Would be great to catch up and share info about our experiences. Maybe there is a common place that suits all. Open to suggestions. For me Saturday morning is out due to Golf with my son.
Happy to, the hardest part of this is finding time that suits everyone... life has a habit of getting in the way :)
Sunday is usually the only day I get somewhat free also... if the other half doesn't have something organised already :rolleyes:

Of course, there's always the Snowy Ride coming up, but thats a few months off... heh. heh...

#15 ·
OK, I've ordered 5 x pairs of stems... total cost with shipping to me was AU$49.
I grabbed an extra set in case someone else sticks their hand up, as it didn't alter the shipping cost (US$13.10).
Will let you know when they arrive.
cheers guys

#16 · (Edited)
I just saw this post I have had these on mine for a while they work well enough but to add air or check the pressure they are shite, You cant bend em like the rubber ones to get a good fit. I have been looking for a little angle extension to put on mine.

#17 ·
Hi Linton. :wave

Have you got the short 3/4" ones?
Can't imagine they'd be much worse than the OEM rubber ones to get air into... I might get the little angle extensions for when checking the air too, if I find these are problematic. Will have to wait and see.
I normally do the air at home rather than at servo's, so a few extra seconds screwing on extensions shouldn't be too much bother.

cheers mate

#18 ·
yes I got the same ones from curvy girl bought a spare as well just in case but don't think i will need them.. and to the others change them with the tyre off
the servo ones with the long metal tube that dont flex are a pain to use on them, can be done lots of swearing needed though LOL

#19 ·
Stems have arrived.
Looks like internal postage is about $1.20, plus $10/set to purchase from US.
Dennis, I'll ship yours down today if I can catch the mail drop.
Will PM some payment details, just fix it up when you get them. :)

Brian, Greg... let me know how you want to get them :)

That leaves me with 2 sets.. 1 spare if anyone wants one.

cheers

#22 · (Edited)
Changed my mind. Sunday would be good but not until the afternoon. Brooklyn for breakfast

#23 ·
Brian,
Wanna meet up and cruise over together?

#25 ·
Easier than an LT U-turn :D
Did I get this right. Thread tag with buddies a couple days, research, place your order and distribution less than 10 days. The big deal is across the pond down under. Some of my orders take longer to ship within the US. Glad you got them now for the install.
ride safe :bmw:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.