BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be departing Monday morning for a trip around Lake Superior.
Having never purchased fuel for a motorcycle in Canada, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on which brands are best.
Are there any brands/grades I should avoid?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well there is a vote for living in Canada (no ethanol)

·
Registered
158 Posts
hitchfield said:
I will be departing Monday morning for a trip around Lake Superior.
Having never purchased fuel for a motorcycle in Canada, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on which brands are best.
Are there any brands/grades I should avoid?
Thanks for your help.
Let us know how it goes. Were leaving on the 28th for the same trip. Going up through Minnesota and Thunder Bay. I talked to someone a few weeks ago from Toronto and I think he said that gas was $1.14, $1.24 and $1.34 per liter.

·
Registered
415 Posts
We actually export most of our oil to the U.S. so you've likely been using our gas for many years however we don't dilute it with ethanol. Canada is no different than the U.S. when it comes to gas, fill it up, pay and drive away. All brands are basically the same, marketting guru's will try to convince you otherwise, however standards apply to all brands.

r

·
Registered
119 Posts
Plan your gas carefully. I recall we had about 160 miles between fillups at one point, but if we missed that one the next one was gonna be tight to our 220 mile range. That was in 2003 so there may be more gas available now. I use Irving because they usually give a decent exchange rate if you haven't exchanged your US funds. However, the US dollar may be worth less than the Canadian dollar now, so I don't know how they handle it at this time. The best method of course is to use a credit card. It's a great ride, enjoy!

·
Registered
290 Posts
While riding across the Trans-Canada Highway in Ontario, many of the stations only had regular gas.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
dmottv said:
Plan your gas carefully. I recall we had about 160 miles between fillups at one point, but if we missed that one the next one was gonna be tight to our 220 mile range. That was in 2003 so there may be more gas available now. I use Irving because they usually give a decent exchange rate if you haven't exchanged your US funds. However, the US dollar may be worth less than the Canadian dollar now, so I don't know how they handle it at this time. The best method of course is to use a credit card. It's a great ride, enjoy!
We are taking the same trip next month & we were told "if you see a gas station & you are at 1/2 tank or less STOP" !!! We will only be in Canada for 2 days & each day the ride is around 300 miles so getting gas should not be an issue for us. Every town we will go thru shows to have gas stations. :bike:

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
bikebits said:
There is far less ethanol used in Canada than in the US. If you get premium grade at any of the national chains there won't be any ethanol content.
That is GREAT news! I am going around Lake Superior in early August on an R60/2. And I hate Ethanol.

I can find pure gas in Wisconsin if you know where to look I did not know about Canada.

Does anyone know about pure gas on the north shore in Minnesota?

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Gas with Ethanol is GAS with Ethanol all are brands the same

Gas w/o Ethanol is GAS with w/o Ethanol all brands are the same..

All gas is the same

This is from the experts...

Here are the difinitive experts report on OIL too..ALL OIL is the same

OK just to add, this is my own tongue - in - cheek opinion...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sdan451 said:
Let us know how it goes. Were leaving on the 28th for the same trip. Going up through Minnesota and Thunder Bay. I talked to someone a few weeks ago from Toronto and I think he said that gas was $1.14, $1.24 and $1.34 per liter.

I will be going in the other direction. Being a Michigander, I have ridden the UP route up to Copper Harbor several times. This time it will be east to west thru Minnesota into Wisconsin and then the Badger car ferry back to Michigan. Don't plan to ride more than 250 miles a day so I'll make a week of it, camping all the way.

Enjoy

·
Registered
158 Posts
hitchfield said:
I will be going in the other direction. Being a Michigander, I have ridden the UP route up to Copper Harbor several times. This time it will be east to west thru Minnesota into Wisconsin and then the Badger car ferry back to Michigan. Don't plan to ride more than 250 miles a day so I'll make a week of it, camping all the way.

Enjoy
We used to camp all the time but decided last year our camping days are over and now we motel/hotel it. I heard about the Tunnel Of Trees on the upper peninsula of Michigan and saw some YouTube videos of it. Is it worth seeing? I'll have to check out the Badger car ferry.

Hey, maybe you or someone could tell me if they take US currency in Canada. We'll be using the credit card for virtually everything but I'm sure they'll come a time where we might have to use cash. Is it necessary to exchange US currency for Canadian? If so, I take it there are places just inside the border on the Canadian side?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Just did that trip in early June. Get ready for unpaved driveways at rural gas stations. Most of the rural areas don't pave anywhere except around the pumps. I got nothing but unpoluted no ethanol gas while there and in most of the US West and Mid West. Be careful about Canadian gas stations. Someone stole my primary credit card number at a gas station. I used another credit card for food and lodging. That is how I know. I am sure things have warmed up since early June. Awoke one morning to 28 degrees F, and an ice fog. There was no 60" LCD TV waiting for me when I got home. Bummer.

Ultra LT

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Just to set the record straight. Gas in CANADA has up to 10% ethanol. Some of the brand name stations in the higher octane do not have ethanol, but these are hard to find. Generally all gas in Canada has ethanol. You have to read the small print on the pump.

Garry

BTW gas in Edmonton is $1.08 / L

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sdan451 said:
We used to camp all the time but decided last year our camping days are over and now we motel/hotel it. I heard about the Tunnel Of Trees on the upper peninsula of Michigan and saw some YouTube videos of it. Is it worth seeing? I'll have to check out the Badger car ferry.

Hey, maybe you or someone could tell me if they take US currency in Canada. We'll be using the credit card for virtually everything but I'm sure they'll come a time where we might have to use cash. Is it necessary to exchange US currency for Canadian? If so, I take it there are places just inside the border on the Canadian side?

The tunnel of trees, M-119 between Cross Village and Harbor Springs ( northern lower peninsula) is a must see for every motorcyclist. 30 miles of twisties with a canopy of trees overhead.

The Badger car ferry is something I've wanted to do for a very long time. Don't know how much longer the EPA is going to allow the coal fired steam ship to ply the waters of lake Michigan, so no time like the present.

I've always gone to fly in fishing camps in Canada and never had a problem using US funds. Lately the exchange rate has been so close that they accept US on a dollar for dollar basis

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just got back 7/5 from a 4400 mile trip from Vermont that included MI119 Tunnel of Trees road, up thru the Soo, through Wawa, Thunder Bay, Kenora and onto Manitoba for a week of fishing.
Sage advice about the lack of gas stations and some small ones with regular gas only. My friend with a Honda ran out once. Several unmanned Esso and Coop gas stations and are good options.
Great scenery and people met along the way. Enjoy this adventure.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
bikebits said:
Shell and Petro Canada are on record to having no ethanol in their premium grades.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66682
But only in some places, you still have to look at the pump.

" Update: Petro-Canada tells me that their premium SuperClean gasoline (91 octane, and 94 octane in Montréal, Vancouver and Victoria) does not contain Ethanol, all other Petro-Canada grades do (87 RegularClean, 89 PlusClean).
"We use ethanol in our gasoline where legislation requires its use and where conditions warrant. To find ethanol-blended gasoline at our stations look for the yellow labels in the pump area indicating that the fuel may contain a maximum of 10% ethanol...most stations in Saskatchewan, parts of Southern Ontario (March 2007), Manitoba (December 2007) and the Montreal area (RegularClean/PlusClean in March 2007)"

I suspect that Northern Ontario gasolines may not contain Ethanol, due to climate/moisture/storage issues. "

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/shell-91-gasoline-no-ethanol-vs-every-other-brand-gasoline-927341/

Garry

·
Registered
429 Posts
bikebits said:
There is far less ethanol used in Canada than in the US. If you get premium grade at any of the national chains there won't be any ethanol content.
Actually, I can name at least two brands that may contain up to 10% ethanol in Montreal: Petro Canada 91 and 94 and Esso 91. Or at least, that's what the sticker on the pump says. I think there a are a few more, but I don't remember them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.