BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by local BMW service guy about a small chance of ABS problem but unlikely and the rear seal problem was due to people over loading the bike and possibly towing at the same time. Any thoughts. Bike is pristine. Thanks very much. Beau

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
beau7561 said:
I was told by local BMW service guy about a small chance of ABS problem but unlikely and the rear seal problem was due to people over loading the bike and possibly towing at the same time. Any thoughts. Bike is pristine. Thanks very much. Beau
ABS can be expensive to repair or replace, if it was not maintained, so try to find out if it has been serviced. Rear seal can be checked, but a non issue with 96%.

Search threads for all of the scary stuff....

From 05, the bikes came with powered center-stand and a shorter turning radius that many prefer. I had an 02 for 50K trouble free miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Dan. I grew up in Ft Myers, I would like to talk to you again in the future. I've been riding for over 30 years and the LT is by far the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. With 10000 miles I feel not much can be wrong with it I hope. Beau

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Make sure you find another service tech. "... rear seal problem was due to people over loading the bike and possibly towing at the same time."

Reports of ABS failure are rare here. If I remember correctly, trick is to make sure the fluid is pumped by standing on the brakes to exercise the ABS, Changing the brake fluid does not make sure that fluid contacting the ABS has been drained.

there is a way to check the clutch by getting into 5th and then nail the gas to see if the clutch can hold with the extra torque at a low speed for 5th. Rare to see a report of a late year model, especially with low miles, to have a clutch taken out by leaking seals or leaking master cylinder.

Bee on guard for becoming infected with "Ride Em Cowboy" fever if you buy an LT.

Remember new comers here have to wait at least 6 months before they ask what is the best oil? what are the best tires?

Best from Tucson
Bob

OH!! Yes, they all smoke when you first start them if she was on the side stand. The speedo, by design reads about 10% higher than your actual speed. And it will look as if she is about to hit the temp red line before the fans kick in.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah, watch out for relationship problems... the addiction to riding if one's significant other isn't along can cause an issue. :D

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Is this a dealer sale? Did he say it "was a seal problem" and its fixed?? That is going to cost you if it still needs to be fixed. What does he mean there is a chance of an abs problem. Find out why he said that. Could be a history of them just resetting the code and it will return. He may be saying that to say to you later "well I warned you".

·
Registered
683 Posts
Speeding tickets!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,549 Posts
BecketMa said:
1. Make sure you find another service tech. "... rear seal problem was due to people over loading the bike and possibly towing at the same time."

2. If I remember correctly, trick is to make sure the fluid is pumped by standing on the brakes to exercise the ABS, Changing the brake fluid does not make sure that fluid contacting the ABS has been drained.

Best from Tucson
Bob
Bob I agree with you on #1 but I beg missinformation on #2 . The fluid is all changed during a flush and you don't need to "stand on the brakes" to get the fluid out of the ABS. Some older automotive ABS units did not pass any fluid unless activated, not the case here. Also +1 on the rest of your advice.

Now on to the original poster.

This is an 07 bike and it was most likely made in 06 so by all rights it should have had 6 annual brake flushes in those 10,000 miles. I'll bet it has only had one - if that. Check the maintenance records as crappy water soaked brake fluid is a leading contender in ABS failures. I would be concerned but a flush and inspection of the drained fluid will tell you alot.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Pristine condition and leaking seal problem sounds like a contradiction of terms, but I'm guessing I know what you meant.

As Dan mentioned, ABS repairs can be very costly for these, so dependent upon what is or might be wrong. You mentioned a leaking rear seal. Are you talking about a rear main seal? And if so, why w/ only 10K miles? Maybe a seal for the FD? :confused: A rear main seal repair ain't cheap either.

Therefor, I'd say the main thing to watch out for is the asking price, especially for an '07 w/ this low amt. of miles but what one's willing to pay is relative. Like someone else mentioned, does this one actually have an ABS issue or was the guy merely sharing his observations during his experience?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts