BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a little different request for comments on buying a used bike!
I'm trying to find a good used K1200Lt and thought what better a place than the classifieds here to find one.

Find one I did and I contacted the seller and discussed the bike and terms.
We agreed to the price and he requested a 20% deposit that I agreed to.
This is where the problem arises I asked for an emailed copy of a bill of sale stating the terms we agreed to and a scanned copy of the title to prove the title is clear and show proper owners name and address.

The seller informs me he is uncomfortable with providing me this information or a bill of sale.
He states he has bought and sold many vehicles and never before has someone asked for these as part of the transaction!
My concern is if I send a large deposit and have no paperwork I don't know if he owns the bike or not.
I'm only trying to protect myself from being scammed.
So my question is am I being paranoid or unreasonable to ask for these things.

Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
Actually $500 is a small deposit and the provision of the requested paperwork in advance of the purchase is the problem. This has become too much of an issue to deal with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually $500 is a small deposit and the provision of the requested paperwork in advance of the purchase is the problem. This has become too much of an issue to deal with.
Sorry Bob I didn't mean to upset you I'm just trying to figure out if I'm way out of line here!

John

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm trying to find a good used K1200Lt and thought what better a place than the classifieds here to find one.

This is where the problem arises I asked for an emailed copy of a bill of sale stating the terms we agreed to and a scanned copy of the title to prove the title is clear and show proper owners name and address.

The seller informs me he is uncomfortable with providing me this information or a bill of sale.
He states he has bought and sold many vehicles and never before has someone asked for these as part of the transaction!
My concern is if I send a large deposit and have no paperwork I don't know if he owns the bike or not.

Thanks
You absolutely should get an agreement/bill of sale with the price and the deposit shown as received with balance due. Also list any items or specifics related to the sale that go with the bike. If he has the title he should be more than willing to send you a photo copy of that. I would tell the guy to pack sand and find another bike, there are plenty out there.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

Thanks
Are you buying a bike in Ontario, ask for the Vin, $20 will get you the sellers package with all the owners info (all owners) - it has to be supplied for any vehicle sale anyways

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Sorry Bob I didn't mean to upset you I'm just trying to figure out if I'm way out of line here!

John
Why don't you bring certified funds for the sale and skip the deposit? If the documentation or anything else is out of place you can just cancel the sale.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I would think that if you are going to send $500 to the owner, he should at least give you a written sales agreement, which states what the sale price is, the deposit amount, and a copy of the registration showing him as the legal owner. It sounds like a lot to ask from a sellers point of view, but if you are sending him $500 (in a personal check form so it also acts as a receipt), its nice to have an agreement in writing. I mean he holds all the marbles, the bike, and the deposit. What would you have without some type of sales agreement? Now, a Bill of sale I think would be a different story, as that is what would be presented at time of sale, and a copy of the title may be different than just a copy of the registration, which should suffice to show he is the owner of the motorcycle. Anyway, just my $0.02

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think you are not at all out of line here. You are looking for (1) proof that he actually owns the bike he is trying to sell you and (2) proof that you (a) have an agreement to buy for a specific amount and (b) that you have given him some money in furtherance of that agreement.

I suggest that you also should "have reservations" about sending him money with no proof of a transaction. I also suggest https://www.escrow.com/

Good luck.

Edit: I assume that you are more than a single day (there and back) away from the seller. If you are within a reasonable (to you) distance, then I agree with Gruivis - just take your money with you when you go and forget the deposit altogether.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Gee whiz Bob, you have a $2400 bike with 116k miles, and wont even provide proof that you own it or a sales agreement with agreed upon price ??!! He's willing to come from Canada, too. Just scan a copy and email it to him if you want to sell.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Just last Saturday I sold my 07 K1200LT for $9500 and I told the buyer bring cash, inspect the bike and if you like it, you give me the $$$ and I'll give you the keys and the title...
Which we did..
BUT before I made the buyer come all the way to my feet I gave him the VIN #, Insurance info, my home address and my business address.... So he can see I am a reputable business owner and not a guy who'll grab his money and disappear...

Buyer was a very nice gentleman and arrived with his wife and 2 yr old son. Loved the bike at first sight and we completed the transaction...

Now that's a good story....

Here's how a bad one goes:

After the sale of my K1200LT I began to cruise the web for a $3500-$4000 range R1150RT-P (I love those old police bikes).
Anyways I found one close to Seattle... an 04 with 50k mile for $3900.
Remind you that I live in Monterey, CA area. 800 miles away.
Checked the photos on eBay, contacted the seller. Offered $3650 and got a deal.
Paid $250 deposit via PayPal!
I told him I will be driving there to inspect the bike and tow it back behind my van. He said he really took good care of the bike and bike needed nothing, bla bla...

I drove 800 miles up North in 18 hrs. Stopped at a UHaul and got the trailer attached and got the guy's home.
When he came out and opened the garage door to reveal the bike my mouth dropped!
It was a piece of crap!
Holes everywhere on the body after removal of the lights, some lights being ripped of and the rusted base portions left on the body, some of the bolts hold the frame together is missing.
Engine started with a big shrieking noise and sounded horrible afterwards and died few times.
Both tires were horribly cupped and when I mentioned they were "cupped" he asked me what that means?

I guess with my understanding of "great shape" and his were a lot different!
Then I asked him why the pictures looked nothing like this. He mumbled something like, all he had was this old pictures when he got the bike last year!
I told him NO I am sorry... He reversed my $250 deposit via PyPal and I drove 800 miles back pissed off!
Wasted around $500 gas because I was driving my only vehicle which is a B class RV to tow the bike.

On the way back I checked the classifieds on my iPad and I came across another R1150RT-P about 140 miles from my home. Visited that guy and the bike was in perfect shape. Everything in place, shiny clean body, perfect sounding engine, tires were about 90%... and he was asking $4300... I offered $4000 and that was the end of it...
Since few days I am riding this one now...

So, the moral of the story is that;

It is very hard to trust what is the condition and shape of a product like a used motorcycle you found over the internet for a buyer.
Seller can be assured that the buyer will be bringing $$$ in good condition with him.
But putting the buyer at ease must be the responsibility of the seller.
A clear title or a current registration close up photos, service records, VIN # everything must be provided before a buyer is called to the feet of the seller.

After all if buyer tells the seller "bring the bike to my location and if I like it I'll buy" I bet seller would like to see some sort of guarantee that the buyer have enough funds for the transaction!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure the seller is a reputable member of this board and also keeps his bike in good condition.
My problem is trying to find the time to get down to inspect the bike and ride it home!
I know it is a high miler but the price reflected that and it was to be a second bike for me to try and convince my wife to ride with me.
I Didn't think I was being unreasonable with trying to get a written agreement and a copy of title to prove ownership.
I was hoping to try this bike but alas it seems to not be in the cards.
I guess the search continues.

Thanks john

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm sure the seller is a reputable member of this board and also keeps his bike in good condition.
My problem is trying to find the time to get down to inspect the bike and ride it home!
I know it is a high miler but the price reflected that and it was to be a second bike for me to try and convince my wife to ride with me.
I Didn't think I was being unreasonable with trying to get a written agreement and a copy of title to prove ownership.
I was hoping to try this bike but alas it seems to not be in the cards.
I guess the search continues.

Thanks john
Hi John - is the bike in Ontario

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have bought more used BMW bikes and sold more BMW bikes than I care to admit. If selling I always provide a scan of the title and put together a bill of sale before the transaction is completed. I buying I demand this as well and have never had anyone refuse.

How are your going to determine that the bike isn't salvaged let alone owned by the guy selling?

Something is wrong with this bike or the guy is just ultra paranoid. Either way, I would skip this one and keep looking.

Oh and 20% is not a small deposit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bail !!!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
A cheeky way to get an insight to the bike (and owner) if the owner is on the site is click on their name and select "Find all posts by xxxx" then sit back and do a llittle reading.
That way you'll get to know a little about who you might be dealing with and whether they've reported any issues with the bike that concerns you.
I'm not aware of any limitations on this search.... hope its helpful in future searching :bike:

Oh, and I plan to keep my bikes forever so I'm not concerned about anyone searching my history..... :dance:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Capt Jim, I think you were blinded by the prospect of almost stealing a great shape '04 RT-P for $3600. That's not to say the guy wasn't a douche to use such old and not representative photos. If it were truly in 'great shape', $5000 -$6000 is more in line, IMO, and I have bought and sold an '04 RT-P not too long ago.

·
Registered
717 Posts
As to the original question here, I don't think either the buyer or the seller is being unreasonable. They just can't agree on the details. I can see both points of view, no need to feel that one or the other is being dishonest or unreasonably demanding.

I would trust a seller if I had spoken to him via phone and gotten a feel for him, searched his participation here, and if he agreed to send me a receipt for the deposit with the terms of the sale spelled out, and also stating the bikes title is clear and not a salvage one, and he writes the VIN on the receipt. And if you send the deposit via PayPal, there's a record of it being sent and received. I've done transactions this way. I've also been satisfied that the seller is who he says, and the bike is as stated, and I then wired full payment and he then Fed Ex'd overnighted the title to me. Somebody has to be the one to trust the other first, unless you are doing a local, face-to-face deal.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Seems like the BOS is appropriate, and one could certainly redact anything of concern from the copied title. Don't see the problem at all.
When I'm ready to sell mine, I will supply a UOA and do a compression test for the new owner. And were the buyer not too far, I'd drive it out just to prove it's reliability.
Yes, these are reasons that I would never make a good used car salesman. :wave

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm sure the seller is a reputable member of this board...
To me, this is a huge plus in any transaction. An owner who has been at all active on a model-specific forum is a pretty safe bet when buying a bike at a distance. I've done that with everyone of my last five or six bike purchases and have had great experiences -- and now have a few new friends...

Now, if it's Craigslist...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts