BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was a very good article about longer rides, hydration and how to take better care of yourself. The November 2010 edition that can be read on line.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/general_interest/but_i_wasnt_even_thirsty

Rider, an EMT, writes about his ride, some hydration problems and the results. A very good informative article that everyone should read to better understand obvious and not so obvious signs to be aware of and the results if not treated correctly.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Good article Dan.

My wife and I are applicators out here in the high western desert. We have seen and had experience with a lot of hydration problems and even now, with the temps hanging around '0' there is reason for being aware of the problem..........The ER stays pretty busy this time of year with folks not familiar with these issues.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
On anything other than local rides, I keep a Camelbak liner in my tankbag so I can reach the drinking tube while riding. If you drink only at fuel stops, then you aren't drinking enough.

Many Iron Butt riders keep a full gallon (or two) strapped on the passenger footpeg(s) - with longer drinking tubes, of course.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
. If you drink only at fuel stops, then you aren't drinking enough.

Depends on how often you do fuel stops, but I get the point. We stop every 100 miles to force fluids, stretch and whatever. (Some places out west we don't let the gas get below 1/2 tank if we can help it).

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
I always carry a 12 oz bottle of water that I can get to while riding. Even on the hottest summer trips with temps around 90 to 100 on 900 mile days I've never gone thru more than 24 ounces on the bike. That doesn't include the fluid during food breaks. I'm lucky in that even with all my gear on no mater how hot it gets I hardly break a sweat riding. :bike:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I agree that drinking only at stops isn't enough. When I'm gliding I have a tube back to my water and am in the habit of taking regular sips. Quite often when I land I've nearly emptied a 2 liter bottle. If you feel thirsty it's too late, you're already de-hydrated and performance suffers.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
saddleman said:
I always carry a 12 oz bottle of water that I can get to while riding. Even on the hottest summer trips with temps around 90 to 100 on 900 mile days I've never gone thru more than 24 ounces on the bike. That doesn't include the fluid during food breaks. I'm lucky in that even with all my gear on no mater how hot it gets I hardly break a sweat riding. :bike:
Just because you "hardly break a sweat" doesn't mean that you aren't losing a lot of water from your body. It takes a lot of water to keep your body from dehydrating in 100 degree temps over 900 miles. Perhaps you are different and don't need much hydration, but I doubt it. Maybe you drink a lot of fluids from other sources at food breaks. If your urine is dark at rest stops (or you don't have to go), then you probably aren't getting enough fluids.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts