BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked my LT up at the shop on Saturday, after they finished installing the VOICE II Comm System. Then it was my turn to add my accessories.
I spent all day Sunday putting on my BMR Shelf, running wiring for my XM-Radio, moved the Navigator GPS up on the Shelf, put on a Cee Bailey Windscreen, and added LED Hyper-Lites to the brake light system.
The only thing left is running the wiring for the Valentine-One.
Here some pictures:










Uploaded with ImageShack.us
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
She sure is pretty...but as one former Highway Patrolman to another what do you need with a radar detector? Is it so you can know when to wave as they go by? :rotf:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wrmoss said:
She sure is pretty...but as one former Highway Patrolman to another what do you need with a radar detector? Is it so you can know when to wave as they go by? :rotf:
Just like a little heads up warning before I cruise by them at 85.....:D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
I'm curious why you installed the GPS so high and far away? Seems like the stock mount would have put it closer and easier to read. Maybe not obstruct line of sight.

My previous 02 K1200LT GPS mount was a little lower in place of the dash light and my new K1600GTL is built in to the dash. I think though, that I wold prefer it a little closer and maybe on the handlebar so that the smaller info on some of the pages could be read while moving.

If you only need the picture and listen to the voice prompts though, I guess that any location will work with trusting faith. I do find that occasionally the information is not correct.

Just some rambling thoughts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DanDiver said:
I'm curious why you installed the GPS so high and far away? Seems like the stock mount would have put it closer and easier to read. Maybe not obstruct line of sight.

My previous 02 K1200LT GPS mount was a little lower in place of the dash light and my new K1600GTL is built in to the dash. I think though, that I wold prefer it a little closer and maybe on the handlebar so that the smaller info on some of the pages could be read while moving.

If you only need the picture and listen to the voice prompts though, I guess that any location will work with trusting faith. I do find that occasionally the information is not correct.

Just some rambling thoughts.
Personal choice I guess, I thought mounting the GPS on the tank was a ridicules place back when BMW began doing that. I never really cared much for accessories mounted on the handlebars. I think using the shelf, and adding the accessories to it makes it a real clean setup.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
I do like the clean look as opposed to the handlebars and have avoided that location. I'm just having trouble really seeing my GPS in the dash because of reflection, sun wash and probably distance.

Your bike really does have a clean look and it looks like that shelf is molded to the top of the dash. Bike is way too clean though! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DanDiver said:
I do like the clean look as opposed to the handlebars and have avoided that location. I'm just having trouble really seeing my GPS in the dash because of reflection, sun wash and probably distance.

Your bike really does have a clean look and it looks like that shelf is molded to the top of the dash. Bike is way too clean though! :)
Thanks Dan!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
It's looking good Bill.
Are you going to wire in the audio from the V1 into the Nav or Radio?

Will have to find out how you wired in the Sat...
Will PM you later to find out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
How difficult was it to install the Hyper-lites? I may be interested in installing them on my bike. What was the purchase price?

Thx
Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wdwight said:
It's looking good Bill.
Are you going to wire in the audio from the V1 into the Nav or Radio?

Will have to find out how you wired in the Sat...
Will PM you later to find out...
Wes I going to be wiring the Val-One into the voice II..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FlyK12LT said:
How difficult was it to install the Hyper-lites? I may be interested in installing them on my bike. What was the purchase price?

Thx
Jeff
Jeff, the price was 89.00 and it was pretty easy installation. They provided some very good instructions, and even told you what color wire to put where. Only problem on of the color wires they said to use I didn't have. It was for the hot wire, so I just put a tester on the wires and determined which one was hot when the key was on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Chipper said:
Jeff, the price was 89.00 and it was pretty easy installation. They provided some very good instructions, and even told you what color wire to put where. Only problem on of the color wires they said to use I didn't have. It was for the hot wire, so I just put a tester on the wires and determined which one was hot when the key was on.
Great. Thx. I'll look up the company.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Bill,
Nice setup!
I have an '09 as well, can I ask how much to install the VOICE II Comm System???
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ltdavey said:
Bill,
Nice setup!
I have an '09 as well, can I ask how much to install the VOICE II Comm System???
Thanks.
Sent you a PM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
That is one nice looking LT. I am inspired. I am going to have to work real hard this week to get the bugs off the front of mine - the 2% that stay when you wash it and search for any road tar the summer added to the rims.

You did not nice looking work on the farkles.

Bill
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,595 Posts
Bill,

Noticed you have the license plate helmet locks. Do you find them usefull and eazy to use, (I.E. helmets don't hit the ground etc. ) ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
johnbaker15 said:
Bill,

Noticed you have the license plate helmet locks. Do you find them usefull and eazy to use, (I.E. helmets don't hit the ground etc. ) ?
John, the helmet lock's were already on the LT when I bought it. To tell you the truth I haven't used them, but I just checked for you and no they don't hit the ground. There is maybe 6in. between the helmet and the ground.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,824 Posts
Bill, nice work on the mods, and BTW that is one nice-looking LT. :rotf: (I laugh because my new-to-me LT is a black '09, also)

I'm thinking between the stock brake lights, the rack's brake light, and now your hyperlites they will most definitely see you when you hit the brakes!

What brand of helmet lock is that? I think I saw that on National Cycle's site recently but not sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
need to pull the factory gps mount on the stingray and replace with a BMW medallion to cover the holes. Thats what I need have a installed my BMR self and moved my GPS to it.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top