BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All y'all...

My headlight lens on my '02 LT busted on a recent trip along the Rio Grande. There is a hole in the glass and I can no longer pass inspection. I am trying to figure out my options. Is it possible to simply replace the glass or do I need to grab an entire headlight unit?

I can figure out how to replace bulbs but I need to replace the lens, which I suspect is not possible, in which case, how do I remove the entire headlight unit and replace it. I've seen nothing posted about this anywhere. I've looked at a replacement headlight unit on Beemer Boneyard and it looks like there are two screws on the sides that must be impossible to access up under the nose cone of the bike. Does this mean I have to take off all of the engine cladding and trim just to replace the headlight unit?

Anybody have recommendations for the best course of action?

Jim Bob in Texas

·
Registered
530 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I've found plenty of headlight units. What I am baffled by is how do I remove the present one and put in the replacement without taking off all of the trim/cladding on the side. Is that actually necessary?

·
Registered
343 Posts
What I am baffled by is how do I remove the present one and put in the replacement without taking off all of the trim/cladding on the side. Is that actually necessary?
Unfortunately you will have to remove the left and right upper tupperware and nose cone to access the head light assembly. Its not a difficult job, but it can be a slightly time consuming. I can do it in an hour, but I've had practice with it over the past year installing HID lights. The only gotcha is the hidden screw at the top front of the nose cone. Otherwise, make a note on the electrical connections to the nose cone for reassembly. I forgot to reattached one the first time I had the nose cone off and thought I really screwed something up when I didn't get power to my headlights.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a headlight assembly for sale from my 03' in the classifieds section. I'd be happy to talk with you about a price if you're interested.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a headlight assembly for sale from my 03' in the classifieds section. I'd be happy to talk with you about a price if you're interested.
I will go to classifieds and check it out. Thanks....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately you will have to remove the left and right upper tupperware and nose cone to access the head light assembly. Its not a difficult job, but it can be a slightly time consuming. I can do it in an hour, but I've had practice with it over the past year installing HID lights. The only gotcha is the hidden screw at the top front of the nose cone. Otherwise, make a note on the electrical connections to the nose cone for reassembly. I forgot to reattached one the first time I had the nose cone off and thought I really screwed something up when I didn't get power to my headlights.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Thanks very much for this. Exactly what I needed to know. I've taken off the tupperware on one side to repair quick release fuel lines so I know what I am up against. Have never messed with a headlight or a nose cone but I reckon I will figure it out. - Jim Bob

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am still having a bit of a hard time believing that in order to replace my headlight assembly I have to remove, according to all of the advice I've received here, the tupperware on both sides of the bike, the windscreen, instrument panel cover, and finally that allows me to remove the nose cone to get at the headlight. Is this the storied BMW engineering I've heard about all my life?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,899 Posts
You saw the pictures of where the three screws are and the adjuster cable. If you think you can squat in front of the tire and lay back on the fender while you reach up in that cramped space, then you will not have to remove any tupperware. But it will be a heck of a lot easier if you do. :wave

And yes BMW's storied engineering is strictly for performance and not maintenance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am still having a bit of a hard time believing that in order to replace my headlight assembly I have to remove, according to all of the advice I've received here, the tupperware on both sides of the bike, the windscreen, instrument panel cover, and finally that allows me to remove the nose cone to get at the headlight. Is this the storied BMW engineering I've heard about all my life?
It seems like a lot, but it is not difficult. Get the Clymer manual and you'll see it's not that bad.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you look at the first picture above, you'll see that the windscreen and instrument panel cover do not need to be "removed". Once you get the side panels off, it's 4 screws from the base of the instrument panel cover (where the windscreen sits), that hidden screw behind the map light, that other hidden screw under the front of the instrument panel cover, 2 of the 3 mirror mounts on each side, and 3 other screws along the bottom of each side. Then it's just unplugging wires. On reassembly, note the tiny notches at the very top of the mirror surround that must be tucked in for alignment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts