BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who followed the Facebook international, I am the one who's bike tipped over with the maitenance platform after completing a 12,000miles maintenance and adding a Gimmi chip.
Before, the bike was running perfect.
After, very hard to start, tons of white smoke but prred liked a little kitten.

Tonight, I droped the oil I had just changed and its oblivious there is a lot of antifreeze in the oil. Its slimy and look at the pic of the oil filter cover. Brand new oil.

Then I did a compression test. Dry, and then I tried again with adding a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder.
1=130 psi
2= 95 / 120 psi
3= 85 / 120 psi
4= 90 / 120psi
The manual says if the pressure goes up, then piston rings are to blame versus valves.
I had measured the valves during the maintenance and they were fine. I had not measured the compression.

ok, so now, this looks horrible. what is my next step?
56897019_2559505347433155_830496522989731840_n.jpg
56775749_2559505424099814_1484554217501753344_n.jpg
20190425_191044.jpg

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I am going to guess that something is definitely damaged from the fall. There should not be any antifreeze in the oil just from the tip over. Check the front of the engine at the bottom where the oil/water pump is and look for damage there. It looks like it fell on another engine near the front. Did the engine impact anything on the way down? Need to find out where the freeze entered the oil pan at. Was the oil contaminated or did you check before starting it?

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
I’m not sure what facebook international is, so I am not aware of your incident. That looks painful to be sure. How did it tip over? I assume something drastic like a car or truck backing into it or something.

In any event, I can’t imagine how the tipover could have caused a problem unless it was on its side a long time and oil leaked passed the rings and caused a hydraulic lock when you later started that bike. That could have cracked the block or the head and allowed water in.

On the other hand, it could be pure coincidence that maybe the water pump seal that separates the water from the oil may have failed or something like that. I don’t know what the compression figures are for the LT, so I don’t know if your numbers are good or bad. Almost every engine will show better compression when oil is added to the cylinder so that in itself isn’t all that unusual.

Was there any visible damage to the engine? Any cracks or punctures? Any external signs of oil or coolant leakage?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It did fell on another engine, but just the wheel (and fender). The bike actually fell on the large wooden foot of my kitchen table I was refinishing. The table did become the sacrificial part and somehow absorbed some of the energy.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The FB page is "BMW K1200LT International"
I can't see any oblivious damage.other than plastic (snif!).
A seal between water pump and block? Maybe, but with 3 cylinders horrible low compression (min is 120psi), I can only think of a cracked block.

But I can't wrap my mind around how on earth could this fall caused this kind of damage?????

Its gotta be a seal of some sort no?????

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I think the only seals between oil and water are the oil/water pump and the head gasket. Was the left side of the engine exposed? Possibly the impact cracked something like the water jacket. Do you have a bore scope to look inside the cylinders?

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
The FB page is "BMW K1200LT International"
I can't see any oblivious damage.other than plastic (snif!).
A seal between water pump and block? Maybe, but with 3 cylinders horrible low compression (min is 120psi), I can only think of a cracked block.

But I can't wrap my mind around how on earth could this fall caused this kind of damage?????

Its gotta be a seal of some sort no?????
I misunderstood your compression numbers. I thought you were showing the values before and after adding oil. It now appears you were showing the actual compression compared to the minimum.

Can you give us more detail on the bike and what you did after the tip-over?

How did you get it stood back up? How long was it on its side? Did you start it right away after getting it upright? Did you remove all of the plastic and inspect things like the air box and such before doing the compression test?

A compression test tends to only be accurate if the air intake is unrestricted and the throttles are opening fully. Have you confirmed that the air box is intact and that no damage occurred to the throttle bodies that would preclude them all opening fully?

Some pictures of the engine, airbox, TBI, etc., might be helpful.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
I would just dump some fresh cheap oil into the engine and run it again and check for coolant entry to the oil. Nothing to loose from that test especially if there is no more coolant in the oil. I don't see how dropping it would cause that as the oil/water pump was on the high side of the bike in the fall. Compression tests are subjective at best and a true leak down test is always preferred.

Reactions: PMitchell
1 - 8 of 8 Posts