BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '91 Bustec trailer and need some help with the wiring harness before I go pick it up. I installed a DMC hitch and wiring harness, it is 5 pin round. The trailer is 6 pin flat. Does anyone know of a pig tail to go from 6 pin flat to 5 round? If not does anyone know what the 6th wire goes to?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have never see a six pin flat connector so I am hoping whoever gave you that info had a typo in their message. However, pins 5 and 6 are generally for brakes and +12V to charge a battery in the trailer. I would be surprised if a motorcycle trailer had electric brakes or a battery.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from Bustec

"Its just an extra wire in case you want to add a 12v source in the trailer like a light, phone charger."

"Auxiliary power provides an additional option for attaching additional lighting. The 5-pin should have feeds for tailight, brake, left turn, right turn and ground. You don't have to add an auxiliary, it is a courtesy for those that want additional lighting on their trailer. Thank you and ride safe."

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
I bought a '91 Bustec trailer and need some help with the wiring harness before I go pick it up. I installed a DMC hitch and wiring harness, it is 5 pin round. The trailer is 6 pin flat. Does anyone know of a pig tail to go from 6 pin flat to 5 round? If not does anyone know what the 6th wire goes to?

Thanks,
Tim
Is it really 6 pins in a row? Or is it a rectangular 2 rows of 3 pins style?

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
I attached (I think) a pic from Bustec
That looks like a Delphi Weatherpack. That is a strange choice for a trailer. These connectors aren't intended to be connected and disconnected often as with trailer connectors.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
I attached (I think) a pic from Bustec
That is the right pin out for a Bushtec. That Black wire is just a constant 12V for trailer interior light and I use it to power my remote air system for adjusting trailer shock loading. Your 5 pin does not have that. I recommend you chop the Bushtec connector off and wire up a 5 pin to the trailer.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts