BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have seen a thread in the past that had helpful information on installing a Bushtec Trailer Hitch onto a K1600 GTL. I have been unable to find the thread.

I have received the hitch and I am ready to begin the installation, but the instructions are not the best. Any helpful tips/hints/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,247 Posts
I found this on the K1600 site looks like they prefer the DMC hitch. I know that does not help you with the Bushtec but it may lead you to a similar post on the Bushtec hitch over there. https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-accessories/1951-dmc-hitch-installation.html

Another one by a guy that did the Bushtec but said the instruction sucked. Maybe his pictures will help you. Post #7 is where he starts.

https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-accessories/156210-trailer-hitch-suggestions.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update to Hitch Installation.

I completed the Bushtec hitch installation and the "Bike Side" wiring for use with my 2019 Uni-Go pull behind trailer.
The hitch installation with fairly simple. I did find the instructions to be tough to follow at times. I had to just do a bit
of figuring it out on my own. Once installed, it is a very solid hitch. No worries of movement or weak areas in it's design and
build. The installation required about 4 hours of work and 1 hour of scratching my head trying to figure it out. There are a couple
places you have to cutout of the plastic on the BMW K1600 GTL. Once you reassemble all the trim you must remove for the installation,
these cutouts are hidden. I used a Dremel tool for the cutting and smoothing which was easy once figured out exactly where to trim.
Overall, the Hitch gets a 10. Then installation instructions get a solid 4. I wish I had recorded a YouTube video to aid anyone in the future
that installs this hitch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts