BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
My 03 LT has 64000 miles now and never used much oil. This morning I fired it up and got the usual puff of smoke, but it didn't stop. I let it idle for 2 or 3 minutes and it never stopped. As I left the driveway I could see I was fogging for bugs for about the first 30 secs and then it disappeared. Never had this before. are my seals shot?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I've had a similar experience, was at a bike Rally, bike was parked on side stand for a couple of days, when I started her up, she smoked like mad for a good 10 mins, finally stopped and popped the bike on to the centre stand and let her sit for 30 mins,

started her up and no more smoke. When we got back to the camp site, I looked at where the bike had been parked, and she would have been leaned over more than normal on the side stand, figured that was what my problem was.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,
the bike was only parked for 2 days so not sure why it would of done this. Will check again when I leave work to see if it does it again.
It had been parked in my garage which has a level floor, will have to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
It happens to me from time to time. Normally when I start the bike to move it and then turn it off right away and put it on the side stand. Sometimes it will do it and others times it will not. I figure it is one or two pistons in a certain spot allowing more oil to drain past the piston.

I don't worry much about it. I also find it helps to leave the bike upright for about 20-30 sec before I put it over on the side stand.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
That happens to mine sometimes too. I park it on the side stand all the time. Sometimes I get a little smoke but once in a while it leaves a trail for a couple minutes. My theory is it depends on the position of the pistons when the engine stops that allows more oil to leak into the cylinders.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
It's normal.. Just the luck of that shut off got a lot more oil past stuff...
If you want it to not do it.. Then hold it upright or a little to the right after you shut if off for about 30 seconds before you put it on the side stand...

Conversely if you put it on the center stand it just won't do it...

John

·
Registered
339 Posts
The only time I use my sidestand is when I pull the bike out of the Garage and have to get off it to close the door.

But as stated here, if you are going to use your sidestand, shut the bike off and keep it upright for 30 seconds. That way most of the oil runs into the oil sump, and not the cylinders.

Also, the type of oil you use can add or subtract from the dreaded fogging problem. I use Mobil1 15W50 and rarely get any smoke out of it.

Either way, it is a normal anomaly with these bikes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts