BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Member (ret.)
10,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know about oil seeping and burning off upon startup from bike being on side stand.

Last Wednesday it smoked quite a bit (2-3 minutes) after it was on the side stand for an hour and half.

Last night after getting home from a 2.5 hour ride and stopping at a stop light, I could see a lot of smoke coming off the exhaust. This has happened a few times before. Not sure if the colder temps are accentuating the exhaust emmissions or the bike has a problem.

Bike has 11k miles, Remus exhaust and Rhine West chip.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
RaffyK said:
I know about oil seeping and burning off upon startup from bike being on side stand.

Last Wednesday it smoked quite a bit (2-3 minutes) after it was on the side stand for an hour and half.

Last night after getting home from a 2.5 hour ride and stopping at a stop light, I could see a lot of smoke coming off the exhaust. This has happened a few times before. Not sure if the colder temps are accentuating the exhaust emmissions or the bike has a problem.

In short, no, I don't know. The reason for the post, though, is to confirm that this is a problem that needs to be chased down asap. As you know, the brick doesn't normally smoke except on start up (water and/or oil), or on full throttle. After 2.5 hrs, the engine is well beyond warming up, so that can't be water vapor -- which leaves oil or coolant :(

First thing I would do next time you see the smoke is (hate to say it) -- stick my nose into it. Oil smell? "Sweet" smell (coolant)?

Next, I would pull all four plugs to read them -- see if one is oil fouled or discolored relative to the others.

Fingers crossed, but in the back of my mind I'm worried about a piston crown/ring failure like David Shealey's -- I sure hope I'm wrong!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
mneblett said:
In short, no, I don't know. The reason for the post, though, is to confirm that this is a problem that needs to be chased down asap. As you know, the brick doesn't normally smoke except on start up (water and/or oil), or on full throttle. After 2.5 hrs, the engine is well beyond warming up, so that can't be water vapor -- which leaves oil or coolant :(

First thing I would do next time you see the smoke is (hate to say it) -- stick my nose into it. Oil smell? "Sweet" smell (coolant)?

Next, I would pull all four plugs to read them -- see if one is oil fouled or discolored relative to the others.

Fingers crossed, but in the back of my mind I'm worried about a piston crown/ring failure like David Shealey's -- I sure hope I'm wrong!
Raffy,
I *hate* to say this but that is how my bike first started it's long absence from my garage. If the plugs have lots of carbon...get busy. :(

·
Senior Member (ret.)
10,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update

I put about 600 mL of oil in the bike and the level came up a hair just under the circle.

Ran the bike on the centerstand for 2-3 minutes and put the bike through all five gears. Did the smell test when idle and it seems normal, no excessive exhaust. Doesn't even smell rich fuel mixture either.

Shut it down and waited an hour. Just checked and the oil level is exactly where I had filled it to.

I'll keep a closer eye on the oil level the next few times I ride. If it gets low, it's going in for service.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Yea Raffy, Quite the smoker Weds night.
For a moment I had to double check your were not on a RD-400 or Kawi triple.

Hope your smoke is a case of "Not broken In" .... and NOT "Breaking down".

Good luck.
Scott

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Smokey trail

Hi Raf,

Is the smoke coming out the proper exhaust hole?
There might be sth leaking on top of the pipe.
Smoke dark of gray? :confused:

·
Registered
320 Posts
RaffyK said:

Have you ridden enough to check your fuel mileage? I don't know anything about the Rhine West chip and was wondering if you are running really rich (limp mode) for some reason? Hey it's a happier thought than a cracked piston!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
RaffyK said:
My fellow riders did not mention anything as far as excessive rich exhaust smell when I was in the lead either.
Maybe they were so happy to have you running off the mosquitos that they did not want to spoil it. :D :D

Seriously though, sure hope you do not have a piston problem like I did, or possibly a broken ring.

I am convinced that the K engine is a marvelous, long life engine, USUALLY. I did not feel my piston failure was a mark of problematic engine design at all, I just got elected to be one of the very few people to have a problem with it.

First thing I would check is to read the plugs. Run it under power for a few minutes, and shut the engine down without much idle time before you pull the plugs. Idling time can cause a false plug reading.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My bike smoked really bad on start up and acceleration when I got a bad tank of gas. It was easy to diagnose because the other bike on the ride started doing the same thing. It took a couple of fill ups to get the smoking to stop.

·
Registered
320 Posts
RaffyK said:
Mileage has been consistent. I checked it on our 400 mile day saturday and i was hovering between 37-41 mpg depending on speed and outside temp.

My fellow riders did not mention anything as far as excessive rich exhaust smell when I was in the lead either.
Dang...you B ridin FAST!!!! I'm getting 47-50 mpg over the last few (summer) months and will likely drop to 42-46 in the winter months. Then again I ride like an old man!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts