BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok Guys i have a Problem .....Maybe

I have a 2008 LT Just turned 5000 miles.... at about 4000 mile my Oil level was good.... I just checked it and had to add a 1/2 quart ...my question is... is that alot of oil too burn in 1000 miles.....I have heard that you burn a little at start up when parked on the side stand.... I park the bike on the Center Stand...what other causes could this be and should I be Worried

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Just asking .... No leaks from drain plug or oil filter cover ??
Are you using dino/conventional oil or using synthetic ?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,420 Posts
The limit for oil consumption is only 1 liter per 1,000 km. And you are not even close to that yet. I had some usage on my 05 during the first 12,000 miles so it is not that unusual. Just keep an eye on it and alway check the level under the same conditions. Warm and on the center stand within 5 minutes of shut down. Mine will rise amost a 1/4 window from cold to warm.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You've got another 10-12,000 miles to go before you even get it broken in. Seriously. I think the general consensus here will be that they'll use some oil until you're between 15-20 thousand miles then they'll settle in. My 00 hauling us two up and fully loaded will burn through about 1-1 1/2 quarts every oil change. Seems to do better when we're doing the long hauls and running Emil hard. On the short haul stuff he gets time on his hands and starts drinking a little more. Do keep an eye on it and check it regularly and don't be too surprised if you have to add some to it for the first several thousand miles.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You could just change the oil at 4,000 miles and never have to worry about it. I like to change my dino oil every 3,000 miles and it uses no oil.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys i Feel better about this....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts