BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home from a 3 day 1500 mile ride and am looking for a solution. My left shoulder blade is burning. This happens to me on all my longer rides. I try to relax my arms and drop my elbows, but I have a longer torso and short legs. I feel like I have to slouch down to stop from putting pressure on the bars. I feel like the seat needs to be lower and the bars need to be higher. I want a custom seat but worry about height. I only have about a 31" inseam and don't want the seat to be any taller. I need more padding and the sharp edges of the stock seat cut off circulation.
We rode Deals Gap and The Blue Ridge Parkway and I love the way the LT handles. My buddy on his Electra-glide could not keep up. The way the LT handles like a sports bike is amazing but at the end of the day he seemed more comfortable.
I know I just need to set it up for me but need some ideas.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
burning issues

I have the same problem. It has been mitigated somewhat by relaxing my arms more and altering my position on the seat. Sometimes I scoot up closer to the bars, sometimes I slouch a bit. But always I try to stay relaxed. Still my burning comes in by upper back somewhat above the place between my shoulder blades, like closer to the base of my neck. The seat is comfortable. I hardly ever feel much discomfort there, but the neck thing is definitely a problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You must have been talking to my wife :) I guess it couldn't hurt my golf game either.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Do you use a backrest? Do you have lowered pegs or lowered floor boards?
I have the backup backrest and Illium floorboards. It cured my problems. You can ajust the backrest to make you sit forward and take the load off your arms and lean in to backrest and relax. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
DaFlake said:
Swedish deep tissue massage!!!!
Yah baby, I'm with you on that , , , , but I can't afford to go all the way to Sweden every time I take a long ride. . . . :rotf: So, I guess it's time for some more Advil. . . . sure like the sound of the valumpsous blond with those long legs wrapped around my legs and . . . . :p

·
Registered
225 Posts
do you...

Backrests are helpful for long distance rides like that. Do you have use one?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Custom seat - many times pain can all be traced back to your ischial tuberosities (sitting bones). It can affect your legs, hips, back, neck, shouler blades, etc.

BakUp backrest adjusted with lots of forward pressure to make you sit up straight. An "S" curve to your spine is what you are after. Remember how Mom always told you to sit up straight? :D

Foam grips.

Dod64K floorboards, either standard or extended/lowered.

Your handlebars CAN be raised or lowered.

Shift leg positions frequently between the front and passenger pegs.

.. and last but not least - about a hundred stomach crunches and dumbell rowing lifts from the ground (while bent over at the waist) every day. ;)

I think you'll find that it sometimes takes a bit of experimenting to get to where you feel "just right" on the LT - for some it only takes one or two items, for others more...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have a similar problem but between my shoulder blades. I have found this is only a problem on long periods on the slab... riding where I have to work through corners results in no pain. This must be due to muscle tension in a single position. Ibuprofen taken before the ride, seems to help.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I get SWMBO on the back to massage me as soon as I get any stiffness. Works a treat! ;) :D :D

My problem is calf muscle cramps from gear changing. Right leg is fine, left leg is a problem. I don't want to lower the pegs as I scrape the boot on corners as it is, but would love a higher seat...

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
jnybgd said:
I just got home from a 3 day 1500 mile ride and am looking for a solution. My left shoulder blade is burning. This happens to me on all my longer rides. I try to relax my arms and drop my elbows, but I have a longer torso and short legs. I feel like I have to slouch down to stop from putting pressure on the bars. I feel like the seat needs to be lower and the bars need to be higher. I want a custom seat but worry about height. I only have about a 31" inseam and don't want the seat to be any taller. I need more padding and the sharp edges of the stock seat cut off circulation.
We rode Deals Gap and The Blue Ridge Parkway and I love the way the LT handles. My buddy on his Electra-glide could not keep up. The way the LT handles like a sports bike is amazing but at the end of the day he seemed more comfortable.
I know I just need to set it up for me but need some ideas.
A suggestion for you to experiment with. On my longish day rides (725+ miles) several times a year, I used to experience the same conditions as you. After a coupla years, I got some tips from feller LTers about hydration. I never considered hydration as a key ingredient to comfort. During normal daily routines around town or around the 'hood, it just wuzn't necessary.

In advance of one trip, I decided to begin the 'hydrate' process a day or so before lift off. And then kept up the routine during the ride, with either using a Camelbak or frequent slurping at tank fill-ups, or both, etc. That would have been sometime in 2001. Since then, no more muscle and deep tissue soreness during nor after a ride. This works for me and is not necessarily for everyone's regimen; butt the advice came from a coupla of IBA riders I know and I figgered they had the diagnosis and solution tried and true. YMMV, butt give it a tryout some time when you can plan ahead.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same pains. My solution was what the others are saying that was to add a back rest. Pain went away. When I had day-long make my seat I rode about 300 miles without the back rest and the pain showed up all over agin.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've ridden motorcycles since I was a young boy, and have been endorsed for 35 years officially this year. The burning between the shoulder blades comes an goes on , or usually after long rides. The hydration regimen really works, and so does upper body excercize. The best fix I've personally found is trying to relax the shoulders, and keep them relaxed.

Having owned many bikes, my testament is that the LT is the most egonomically correct I've ever ridden.

Sometimes our bodies have to adjust, and if we dont ride constantly, we dont excercize the muscles that we use more in our riding that we do in our other daily chores....if you are a skier, this is self explanitory, you never start the season skiing like you did when the last season ended.

Drink water, and plenty of it.

Plus Advil is always in the stingray.

:bmw:

·
Registered
38 Posts
One possibility not mentioned is the position of the windscreen. I find if too high, a slight back pressure (pressing helmet forward) occurs. After a day of fast riding I get the pain in the neck/shoulder area. Lowering the screen slightly makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Can you suggest a backrest?

Are these aftermarket items. If so, which one works on the LT and which is best? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Dick said:
A suggestion for you to experiment with. On my longish day rides (725+ miles) several times a year, I used to experience the same conditions as you. After a coupla years, I got some tips from feller LTers about hydration. I never considered hydration as a key ingredient to comfort. During normal daily routines around town or around the 'hood, it just wuzn't necessary.

In advance of one trip, I decided to begin the 'hydrate' process a day or so before lift off. And then kept up the routine during the ride, with either using a Camelbak or frequent slurping at tank fill-ups, or both, etc. That would have been sometime in 2001. Since then, no more muscle and deep tissue soreness during nor after a ride. This works for me and is not necessarily for everyone's regimen; butt the advice came from a coupla of IBA riders I know and I figgered they had the diagnosis and solution tried and true. YMMV, butt give it a tryout some time when you can plan ahead.
Emphasis on the hydration a couple of days before leaving (if you pee clear, you're well hydrated). Many make the mistake of drinking lots of water the day of a dehydrating activity and thinking that's all they need. This helps, but will not replace fluids you're missing from the prior couple of days. This is even worse when riding at higher altitudes, which of course are where the best motorcycle roads are.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Left sholder blade and between hurt

Mine would kill me on longer rides. The LT's riding position has you sitting more up right. I found that it felt like I was sitting on a stool for hours with no back support nor arm support. Bought a Bakup Backrest and the problem went away. Now if I can just get the seat issue fixed I will be in great shape.
Had Russel re-work my seat but it still is not right.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have recently returned from a 1500 mile tour of Germany. I started to suffer the pain between the shoulder blades towards the end of the journey.

Came on really suddenly and the pain prevented normal head movement.

It is over one week since my return and although improved, the pain has not yet subsided fully.

I've ridden all sorts of bikes on long distance journeys but have never experienced anything like this. I suspect it is related to riding the LT as there was no other significant physical activity during the journey.

The Black Forrest roads were superb. The LT is a special bike in the twisties.

BDC

1 - 20 of 41 Posts