BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a older Garmin Streetpilot 2730 that was working okay during the first couple thousand miles of my last trip, but then it started giving me fits by losing power/electricity whenever I rode over a bump. Initially it occurred at times going over expansion joints at bridges/overpasses, but then it happened at every little bump/imperfection in the road. Usually the connection would immediately be restored, and the GPS would reboot. Other times, it would take a while to come back on.

Not sure if it's the connection of the power cord to the unit on the backside, or if it's something internally. I was using the 12V power cord w/ built-in speaker, which I had plugged into one of those 12V accessory sockets hard wired to the battery. It appeared to be a good connection at the socket, so I assume it's at one of the other previously mentioned points.

I have it mounted on one of those co-pilot shelves, or whatever it's called. which I noticed seems to vibrate more than other parts of the bike.

The unit also tends to lose the map on the screen, even though it continues to show the highlighted route. Not sure if this was because I updated some of the map or not.

I guess I need to call Garmin for a guesstimate to repair it.

Anyone had similar symptoms?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Sadly they no longer offer 'repair' service on the 2720, 2730, and 2800 units, they were the best. I hope it is something simple like the power connection that slides in the back of the GPS. Mine would do that too if not pushed all the way in. Also, try some contact cleaner. Good luck. Maybe you just need some new shocks. ;)

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
My old 2610 gps did that on my LT. Simply unplug the electric cord and wire brush the contacts on the cord. I think that I also "spread" the contacts a little. Over the course of the years, the contacts were kind of flat and did not make good contact with the gps. After I did this, all was well.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mwnahas said:
Sadly they no longer offer 'repair' service on the 2720, 2730, and 2800 units, they were the best. I hope it is something simple like the power connection that slides in the back of the GPS. Mine would do that too if not pushed all the way in. Also, try some contact cleaner. Good luck. Maybe you just need some new shocks. ;)
Michael, that's too funny. Hmmm. Let's see, I can spend $800+ for new shocks, (or more correctly one new shock) or I can spend the same amount of money for a comparably featured new GPS. :confused: I'll have to think long and hard on that one.

Mike, I have tried rebending/reshaping the metallic contact strips at the end of the cord, but I haven't tried any cleaning. Could I really get this lucky? :dance: Probably not. :crybaby:
but it's definitely cheaper than Michael's suggestion, and I wouldn't get my hands greasy. :cool: I'll try some more bending along with it.

Thanks guys for the info- both good and bad.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
pretty ingenious Dan, sounds like something I would try, rather than buy a replacement
also it's indisputable proof that the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider :D

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
If you are using the stock cigar lighter with speaker for power that is the first place I would look as they are not very good. Better to hard wire it in to eliminate that part. My 2720 has a flakey touch screen that thinks it is being touched all the time. I have had it apart several times and no fix yet. I use it on the GS and bought a 660 for the LT.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I've been looking at a refurb LM1345 for $85; still sitting on the fence about it though. Price looks awful good, It doesn't have bluetooth, I like the directions into my headphone, But they are small enogh and cheap enough to buy two, one my shirt pocket hard wired into my Sena 10 and one up front to look at?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
jzeiler said:
If you are using the stock cigar lighter with speaker for power that is the first place I would look as they are not very good. Better to hard wire it in to eliminate that part. My 2720 has a flakey touch screen that thinks it is being touched all the time. I have had it apart several times and no fix yet. I use it on the GS and bought a 660 for the LT.
+1 with what John said. I have two of the cigar lighter/speaker power supplies, one in my car and one in my truck and I have continual intermittent problems with both. The problem is with the electrical connections on the plug.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lynn_Keen said:
+1 with what John said. I have two of the cigar lighter/speaker power supplies, one in my car and one in my truck and I have continual intermittent problems with both. The problem is with the electrical connections on the plug.
Okay. this is good to know. I'll have to take a second look at that. It's down under the seat anyway, so I'm not relying on the inline speaker, therefor it wouldn't be missed. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts