BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I am riding solo from Orlando to ATL on the bike for a week of meetings. All is going well. weather is great, not too much traffic. three lanes to travel on. No other riders going my way for the last 4 hours.

I was moving along in the center lane when 2-3 Harley riders pass me on the left, I did not see them coming, and surprisingly I did not hear them either.

I take the opportunity to jump into the passing lane (there were no motorcycles behind me that I could see) well apparently they had a group of another 10-12 more straggling behind that I did not see. Out of no where a rider pulls along side me to the left. He starts to crowd me and as we pass an 18 wheeler he continues to crowd me to the right.

I keep my cool and about the time we pass the 18 wheeler I move to the center lane and another rider comes along on the left of the rider that was crowing me and laughs and smiles and points at me as they continue to pass as a gang / group. This guy was inches away from me. Never looked over at me.

They were wearing leathers and all had vests Thunder Guard MC, The group was both male and female.

Now I am not saying anything and I have never been critical of any clubs, Ethnic clubs or not... WTF did I do wrong?

I am sure that I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Next time I will be sure NOT to break into their "group" although they are NOT together, not in a row or anything. Just straggling along.

They eventually formed up in a group about a 1/4 mile ahead of me and I stayed way back from them. Eventually they pulled off around Macon and I speed up to get some room between then and myself.

So, I have not been riding for that long and this is actually my first 500 mile solo ride(I go Orlando to Miami all the time along the I-95)

Is this common? or something I should be concerned with?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
My brother and I used to ride hopped up Triumphs back in the 60's, and used to do that (ride into their formation) to the Hells Angles. They had a clubhouse down in the Bolder Creek/Santa Cruz area. Really pissed them off, but they couldn't catch the Triumphs.
These wanna-be gangers probably thought you were intruding into their "formation". I say "f&#*-em". I've had guys on bikes try to crowd me too. Just don't give in. Push back. And remember, if you're going to put them down, pull their closest handlebar back, don't push it forward, or they'll hit you as they go down. (how would I know that, he said, puzzled).

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
OK.......they were on 'Big Twins' right..............twist it and git...........I'd rather pay the speed fine................$000.02..............Not like they'd keep up.................. ;)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I always keep a respectful distance from groups of Harley riders. I have observed rude and unsafe behavior quit often.

The strange thing is if you stopped they will strike up a conversation and almost without exception they are the nicest people... go figure.

Must be a herd mentality.

·
Registered
82 Posts
pauleknight said:
Now I am not saying anything and I have never been critical of any clubs, Ethnic clubs or not... WTF did I do wrong?
Nothing. Anyone else ever notice that the only motorcyclists to not return a wave are on Harleys.

I use the term 'motorcyclist' very loosely in conjunction with the world Harley

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It's not just Harleys. I've encountered this behavior across the brand and model type board. Rude is rude. In my area the worst offenders are sport bike riders, usually at paint peeling speeds. I personally do my best to make sure my fellow riders are aware of my presence before passing them in the same lane. If I'm not sure they see me or are prepared for me to pass I will move into a different lane before passing. I don't like surprises and I always assume the other rider feels the same.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
Bullies and A/H's! Often, both the H-D and crotch boys are compensating for something small between their legs by putting something bigger between their legs. :D

·
Registered
809 Posts
Chalk it up as a lesson learned; watch your mirrors and avoid groups (I ride solo most of the time and am not accustomed to group riding).

One other thing - when waving, always use 5 fingers.

Ride safe,
Curt

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
You probably just experienced "group mentality."

I have found it strange, when approaching a group riding in the opposite direction, me in the cage, when riders are staggered, that many riding the inside, will tend to hug the line. It almost seems that they are daring you to try and get too close. To me, it seems like they are just asking to get side-swiped or hit.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
The "clubs" don't like you getting into their formation. They think they own the road. Some get fairly nasty about it. I had a friend pulled overt in Ft. Worth and told that was a good way to get shot. You didn't do anything wrong. You just encountered some a**holes on the road. The can harrass you but never catch you. Makes you wanna knock them over or put a round in their tire or tank........ :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yeah, I think it's just the group thing...get a buncha' people playing "wild thing" together and they become 7' tall and bulletproof. My brother in law is the president of a group of riders that group ride and they act as if they own the road and make the law, and they're all "good christians" and successful. I rode with them once and that was enough to last me a looong time. I hated the group pace thing and was ashamed to be affiliated with a group that just took over the roadway. And they're the "good guys"! I just try to ignore those groups or I can and will outrun them.

·
Registered
616 Posts
pauleknight said:
They were wearing leathers and all had vests Thunder Guard MC, The group was both male and female.

Thunder Gaurds are a black 1% club, known to be associates of the Pagans. They originate in MD. They aren't allowed to fly the Pagan patch.

Their race/ethnicity is not an issue. Their behavior is.

What you did was interupt their formation. That and the fact that you weren't wearing one of their beloved patches.

Here's a clue: If you ever run into them in a bar or restaurant and they gang up on you, start shooting. It's the only thing the F$%#ing scumbags understand.

I have spent most of my life on Harleys, and never wore a patch. I've been invited several times to associate with a club. One asked me to pledge. I learned what they are...1%er clubs are the scurge of the motorcycle world, and I wish them all a quick death. While they parade around in front of the press with their toy runs and charity events, they make their living off drugs, prostitutes, and stolen motorcycles. They preach about honor, but the only code of honor these guys have is keeping quiet about their criminal enterprise.

Stay away from them.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scottly said:
Their race/ethnicity is not an issue. Their behavior is.

What you did was interupt their formation. That and the fact that you weren't wearing one of their beloved patches.
I agree that what I did wrong was interrupt their formation, but they were not in a formation.

a couple in front a few car lengths ahead with a car in between myself and them, and then these guys behind,

they did come into formation a few minutes later.

I did learn my lesson. Stay to the right and do not get in other's formation no matter how strung out and straggered out they are...

·
Registered
204 Posts
While in Ontario for the ABC rally, myself and several other BMW riders were merging onto the highway. There was a group of apx. 50-60 HD riders flying colors. I didn't catch the name, Satan's Scumbags or some such thing. We merged with slower traffic while they slowly passed on the left. When they all passed us, we merged behind them. after a couple of miles traffic lightened and they all merged into the right hand lane. We just started to pass them slowly as they were all doing 55-60 mph when I realized that to get to our destination per the GPS we had to get off at the next exit. I put the hammer down as did the 4 other bikes in our group. The exit was fast approaching and I knew it was gonna be close. I knew we were drawing their ire as we passed them all at 90+ mph. They were greeting us with waves of closed fists and the "Hawaiian Peace Symbol" we cut from the left lane, across the lead bikes and onto the exit ramp with mere feet between us. It was a risk but we were out in the country and figured we would leave them all in the dust if they tried to follow. I chuckled about it all the way back to the campground and was immortalized as the great conqueror around the campfire that night.

·
Registered
616 Posts
pauleknight said:
I did learn my lesson.
That lesson is that these scumbags don't understand rational, civilized behavior.

But please.....don't assume that all harley riders in groups are this way. I have ridden with some groups of friends, all on Harley's. All acceptable courtesey was extended to all motorists, not just motorcyclists.

On another rant, I have had many Harley riders stop to offer help if I was stopped on the side of the road. I NEVER had a Beemer pilot do the same. Maybe just a coincidence...

If I see a rider on the side, I slow. He gives me a thumbs-up, I go. He doesn't, I stop.

We're all on two wheels. If we don't stick together, the government regulators will surely tear us apart.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
The only thing I would say is try to be more aware of your surroundings. These folks were just being jerks, you can't do anything about that. Being surprised by their presence you can fix by checking mirrors looking around, etc. Helps fight off highway hypnosis too. ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Could be the reason Harley riders stop and Beemer riders don't, would be the speed they are traveling when they see you.
When you are traveling 40-50 mph on a vibrating mass of oil leaking, noise making pile of chrome you will jump at any chance to pull over and rest, striking a pose for the passers-by to have a look at. Where as a beemer rider would be traveling too fast to just pull over. ( Myself I ALWAYS have to turn around and go back to see if they need help.) When you ride smooth velvety equipment you just hate to shut down the fine workings of machinery. When you go back and ask do you need help, They reply " No, I was just getting something to drink."

·
Registered
160 Posts
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity. I do agree with the herd mentality though, once you get people in a group the collective IQ plummets.
The "owning the road" mentality goes across brands and styles. I no longer go on the 100k Foot ride here because you will have people passing you on both sides, in blind corners, no passing zones etc. and it just does not make the ride any fun. It's the same reason I will never ride the Dragon every again; too many riders consider it their own private racetrack.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I'm sure part of it was "herd mentality" and I'm also certain that since it was,
as you put it "an etnic club" that your race also had something to do with it,

Chances are if you were to meet some of these riders individually,
they might be good people,
but they're going to treat you differently when they're in a group.
Racism is a fact of life
And anybody that doesn't agree with that, hasn't been around "them" or is living in denial.

I had a "herd mentality" experience this summer,

I was passing a group of about a dozen Harley's on a 4 lane divided highway somewhere in Ohio,
when a car in front of me slowed to turn and the road merged into a two lane,
anyway I ended up in the middle of the pack on my LT pulling a trailer.

I figured I would pass the four in front of me at the earliest "safe" opportunity.

It seemed like they "didn't want me to pass them"
they started running 65-70 (in a 60mph zone) they had been traveling much slower than that
before I got into the middle of them.

That was "fast enough" for me so after about ten minutes or so I fell back
and motioned the rest of the pack around me.
As soon as they got back in formation they slowed back to 55mph.

There was too much oncoming traffic to safely pass a dozen bikes at once
so I waited for an uphill truck lane passing opportunity,

As soon as the road went four lane "they" sped up to around 70,
I Kicked the LT down one gear and blew by them at warp speed.
What a bunch of morons.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
Scottly said:
....While they parade around in front of the press with their toy runs and charity events, they make their living off drugs, prostitutes, and stolen motorcycles. They preach about honor, but the only code of honor these guys have is keeping quiet about their criminal enterprise....
Don't forget gun "running," also.

But, they're really not very good at keeping their "criminal enterprise" a secret.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts