BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While installing the new luggage rack on the LT, I realized the vanity light bulb in the trunk was burned out. Figured I'd just replace it with something from Auto Zone so got the largest one that would fit, a 12V 4.3 watt bulb. Just barely visible at night so the wife says that doesn't cut it.

Called the Tallahassee dealer at Matrixx Motorsports and was shocked to learn they were $17+ each. WOW. Didn't order and it was time to search the net.

The BMW bulb is an OSRam 64111 bulb and they went from $1.98 each to about $10 each. So taking into consideration the shipping charges, I found a source and got 2 coming for less than $12 including shipping.

Pays to look around on the net sometimes.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Might have been able to get them from Auto Zone or Oriley's but I didn't check. It's been raining here for about 2 days and it sucks. I guess my brain was scrambled from the telephone conversation to the dealer.

Ordered mine from Bulbtronics --> http://www.bulbtronics.com/?gclid=CJiYs5y_1qYCFYnt7Qod9iU9Hw

Cut/Paste from invoice --> OS64111 12V 5W10 0052694 $4.70 2 $9.40

Also should have noted that these are Sylvania bulbs. Cheaper ones were an unknown (to me) brand.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Good point. I never install a cheap bulb unless it takes less than a minute to get to it. I always use Wagners instead of the Korean bulbs when I don't want to change them again.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've never ordered automotive lamps from 'Bulbtronics' but I can tell you they are highly regarded as a source for theatrical and architectural products. I'd feel comfortable ordering from them.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,164 Posts
You could also have replaced the original with a LED bulb.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the new bulbs in this afternoon. They are identical to the original ones that were in the bike and are extremely bright. In searching these out, I found that uses for these bulbs range from automotive to medical instruments.

I also know that if you leave them on for a minute or so and then to go change one, they will burn the crap out of your fingers. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts