BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride my bike almost every day and got tired of having to go into the house to open the garage door, then drive the bike inside when I get home. My door opener is too bulky to carry conveniently, so I took an hour or so today to solve this problem.

Bought a doorbell button at Home Depot (Heath/Zenith DW-VJRP) and ground down the outer flange, then took apart the door opener case (photo 1). Next, soldered two color coded 18 ga. wires to the PC board contact points that complete the circuit when the open/close button is pushed, and connected to bottom of the doorbell button (photo 2).

Photo 3 is the completed unit. I cut the corner off a freezer bag to cover the button, closed with electrical tape, as a weatherproof cover. The button is mounted beneath the left side of the passenger seat (photo 4), opposite of where the seat heater control is located on the right side.

The door opener unit fits nicely into the space under the pasenger seat (photo 5). The black tape helps secure the unit, but is easily removed to change the battery when necessary.

This may look crude to those of you that are more sophisticated than me, but I am really happy with the result. When I get home, I just reach back, push the button, and drive on in. Amazing how something this simple can be such a stress reliever.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Seems like a lot of work.
I have a miniature opener that I can switch between the LT & K75. Attached it with hook 'n loop tape (Velcro). If it rains I pop it into the tank bag. :D

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I like it! Especially the button itself. Kind of brings a bit of old world charm to your LT.

I did sort of the same thing except I mounted a waterproof push button on the stingray and mounted the opener somewhere under the front fairing. Someday I will run across it again and remember where I put it :eek:!

Loren

·
Registered
85 Posts
PMitchell said:
Seems like a lot of work.
I have a miniature opener that I can switch between the LT & K75. Attached it with hook 'n loop tape (Velcro). If it rains I pop it into the tank bag. :D
This idea sounds just crazy enough to work. Tell me more about this mysterious "hook and loop tape" you speak of... :)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
For those not wanting anything to show, look at this:

Flash to Pass Garage Door Opener www.F2ptechnologies.com

It is mounted inside the bike and a flash of the high beam opens the door. They list for about $60.00 but if you shop around you can find them for quite a bit less.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I keep one of my garage door openers in the stingray. I took the sunvisor clip off to reduce its size. Problem solved.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Holy crap! Is that the doorbell from "Silence of the Lambs?"
Nice job, I love just having a button to push!

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
That's a very nice, clean solution. Well done.

My garage door opener rides under the clear plastic map window on my tank bag. I can access the buttons through the plastic. Has worked great for years.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
I hang mine on the front of my jacket along with the keys. I always wear my jacket so I have it with me no matter which bike I ride. I can reach up and pop the button as I roll up the driveway.

Bruce

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Beemerick said:
This idea sounds just crazy enough to work. Tell me more about this mysterious "hook and loop tape" you speak of... :)
Like Kleenex, Velcro is a registered trade name.

The generic version (i.e. facial tissues in the case of Kleenex) is hook & loop because of the design of the attachment process. There are industrial versions that can be used to install solar panels to roof that require a special tool to remove them in the future.
Loops

Hooks

Together

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A note to Paul M, I have tried to find a fob style remote for my 15 year old garage door mechanism, but it uses dip switches to set the frequency, so am stuck with the bulky "playing card deck" style. Other than that, I really like your velco approach.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
jaxbobg said:
A note to Paul M, I have tried to find a fob style remote for my 15 year old garage door mechanism, but it uses dip switches to set the frequency, so am stuck with the bulky "playing card deck" style. Other than that, I really like your velco approach.
No issue here. I think the original opener (30 years) ago had dip switches to set the secret code.
It died and the only option was digital. Got the miniature one on eBay plus an outside keypad.

I have a very steep driveway and I like it when the door is open so that I can dive in and put her to bed! :D

You have a very creative solution.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just leave the remote in the stingray nook...gets locked up automatically when I'm in the seedier parts of town.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Rocketsled said:
I just leave the remote in the stingray nook...gets locked up automatically when I'm in the seedier parts of town.

Parker has seedy areas?

·
Registered
576 Posts
PMitchell said:
I work downtown. Near Five Points and North Capitol Hill

I had a GREAT afternoon one day, came out to find a person of questionable intent sniffing around the LT...I was about 20 feet away and near the corner of a parking garage. As he was waving his hand above the stingray, I hit the unlock button on the keyfob setting off the unlock beep.

The reaction was priceless. :rotf:

I figure I'm parked with a bunch of harleys, Triumphs, Ninja's and the like. They're not REALLY gonna mess with an 850 lb monster on the centerstand.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
jaxbobg said:
I have an OLD Stanley opener with dip switches and went on eBay and bought a digital receiver that programs from the fob. It cost less than $25 delivered. The new opener on my wife's side had extra fobs so that is what I use.

Loren

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Rocketsled said:
I work downtown. Near Five Points and North Capitol Hill

I had a GREAT afternoon one day, came out to find a person of questionable intent sniffing around the LT...I was about 20 feet away and near the corner of a parking garage. As he was waving his hand above the stingray, I hit the unlock button on the keyfob setting off the unlock beep.

The reaction was priceless. :rotf:

I figure I'm parked with a bunch of harleys, Triumphs, Ninja's and the like. They're not REALLY gonna mess with an 850 lb monster on the centerstand.
Time for an undie change eh?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts