BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, doing the valves on my 2009 LT and wondered if anyone would like to swap my 2.80mm bucket for your 2.75. If you're interested, pm me
thanks. Brian

·
Registered
315 Posts
Let me see what I have. I’ll get back to you tonite

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
After many years of helping people swapping buckets I have a big drawer full of nothing but 2.90s :)

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
180 Posts
Warning....BMW rant.....

After years of working with Jap bikes with both shim on top,shim on bottom and rocker arms leave it to BMW to make something that is totally German along with being stupid as hell.

Rant over......

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sorry I don’t have 2.75.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Warning....BMW rant.....

After years of working with Jap bikes with both shim on top,shim on bottom and rocker arms leave it to BMW to make something that is totally German along with being stupid as hell.

Rant over......
I would hardly call the bucket design stupid, but it is expensive compared to separate shims. I still think that for a touring bike, hydraulic lifters such as on my Kawasaki Voyager are the better choice. Never touched them in 48,000 miles.

·
Registered
180 Posts
In a performance application where a high lift cam can "spit" a shim I can understand. That was for the most part cured with under bucket shims. Either way its apparent the german's don't care for ease of maintenance and its not a priority for them which is very evident in so many ways.

On a touring bike hyd valves makes so much sense it comical to think someone actually designed touring engines as this. I see the 1600 continued if I must say so the "stupidity"......sorry. :)

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
In a performance application where a high lift cam can "spit" a shim I can understand. That was for the most part cured with under bucket shims. Either way its apparent the german's don't care for ease of maintenance and its not a priority for them which is very evident in so many ways.

On a touring bike hyd valves makes so much sense it comical to think someone actually designed touring engines as this. I see the 1600 continued if I must say so the "stupidity"......sorry. :)
If zee engine ist hard to buildt, it must be hard to maintain! :grin:

Seriously, the main reason I hear for not using hydraulic lifters is RPM limitations. So, in that regard, the really stupid design is the 6,000 RPM Honda Wing which still uses shims. My Voyager had a 7,000 or 7,500 redline as I recall, which is well above the Wing and it did just fine with hydraulic lifters. At least the BMW’s rev higher to make the solid lifters more justifiable.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200
1 - 9 of 9 Posts