211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My turn to beg for buckets!

Using the Bucket Calculator found here, I need the following:
Qty 7 2.70
Qty 1 2.80
Qty 4 2.85

I will have the following to swap:
Qty 7 2.75 - Every single exhaust bucket was 2.75.
Qty 1 2.95
Qty 4 2.90

Note: I measured with metric feeler gauges. I converted to inches and let the program convert back to mm.

Thanks in advance!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,357 Posts
Curious on the one going from 2.95 to 2.80 that is a pretty good jump unless you were swapping others around.

I have 2 - 2.70s but none of the rest. Most of what I have are 2.95 2.9 and 2.75.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curious on the one going from 2.95 to 2.80 that is a pretty good jump unless you were swapping others around.

I have 2 - 2.70s but none of the rest. Most of what I have are 2.95 2.9 and 2.75.
John,
The only 2.95 is going to 2.90.
Did that attachment open ok? It doesn't for me.
Here it is in pdf.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,357 Posts
Yes it did not open as a populated file. PDF was good. But typically if the clearance is 0.006 it is good and 0.010 it is good. These calculators cause a lot additional bucket changes just to get the reading in the middle which is not necessary as they don't really change that much over time. You can see how mine has gone from new to the 76 K check as a go by. Red indicates a bucket change.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only know what I've read here.
I wasn't thrilled at the prospect of changing all those buckets, but seems like a good preventative move, since they are all at the low limit, and reportedly only get tighter.
I figured I'd do it once, and hopefully never again.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,357 Posts
No problem. How many miles on the old girl? Hopefully more will chime in on what buckets they have available.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
I guess I just don't understand why anyone would swap a good thin bucket for a useless thick bucket.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem. How many miles on the old girl? Hopefully more will chime in on what buckets they have available.
Bike is a 2000 with 132,000 miles.
Previous owner swapped in a 2002 engine with 40,000 miles.
I've put less than 1,000 on so far.
So I'm going with 41,000 miles. :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,357 Posts
I guess I just don't understand why anyone would swap a good thin bucket for a useless thick bucket.
One man's thick is another man's thin...:p

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
I was just thinking about the swaps I have done & now everything I have is 2.90 or thicker & I can't see ever needing the buckets I have.
Owning an LT adds new meaning to "bucket list."

:histerica

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dave, I was thinking the same thing.
I ordered the buckets today from Max BMW.
Probably be a week.
Thanks for the responses everybody.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Man, timing is everything, right? I did my valve check a few hours after you posted this and, after pulling the cams, realize I have (6) 2.85 buckets that I don't need. If you want to remove them from your order, I will send them to you.

GB

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man, timing is everything, right? I did my valve check a few hours after you posted this and, after pulling the cams, realize I have (6) 2.85 buckets that I don't need. If you want to remove them from your order, I will send them to you.

GB
George, that would be great! Thanks.
I emailed Drew at MAX BMW. I will call them if they don't respond.

Do I have any buckets you need?
I have the following to swap:
Qty 7 2.75
Qty 1 2.95
Qty 4 2.90

I'll PM you my shipping info if this works out.
Thanks again! :dance:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yes it did not open as a populated file. PDF was good. But typically if the clearance is 0.006 it is good and 0.010 it is good. These calculators cause a lot additional bucket changes just to get the reading in the middle which is not necessary as they don't really change that much over time...
Unless you're lazy, or have other factors which delay doing proper maintenance, (like a suitable place to work). Of the 16 valves on my '06, (with 91,000 on the clock), I need to make 13 changes. However, all but one of them are just one step, and that one is two. It's been 50K since the last change, but only 40K since the last check.

GB

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm helping a buddy with his valve adjustment. After getting a line on most of the needed buckets we are still going to be in need of

(4) 2.70's

If anyone has any of those laying around they want to swap let me know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts