BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone broke the swing arm on their mechanical windshield. After doing some research, they do not sell just the swing arm. BMW wants to sell the entire unit at $799.00. I found most of the hardware on beemerboneyard but they currently do not have any. As for now, I have temporarily fixed it with zip ties. Does anyone know if the swing arms for the K1200RT and LT are the same? Anyone have any other suggestions for fixing this issue?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,169 Posts
Our veteran member Dick made some arms out of Lexan here . May work for you.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
if the swing arm is made from pot metal, curved, about three inches long and labeled as 85611, I made a replacement from copper tubing. you'll find my recent post by searching under my handle.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm in the same boat, tie wrapped and temp fixed it on the PCH at a Homer Depo. Hopefully the temp fix will last too winter when I tear it down. So if anyone has any extra arms laying around or wants to make a few extra, PM me. No problems paying for your time and costs.

Cheers,
Tross

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
I'm in the same boat, tie wrapped and temp fixed it on the PCH at a Homer Depo. Hopefully the temp fix will last too winter when I tear it down. So if anyone has any extra arms laying around or wants to make a few extra, PM me. No problems paying for your time and costs.

Cheers,
Tross
You need to contact tbe gentleman who machines the trunk latches and FIBIB kits. I suspect he could CNC machine these from billet aluminum in no time and you would have a first class repair. :)

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
Which one did you break? I broke the left arm a couple of years ago (long story), and I have the motor with the intact right arm. I could remove the arm - I think - and send it your way. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Which one did you break? I broke the left arm a couple of years ago (long story), and I have the motor with the intact right arm. I could remove the arm - I think - and send it your way. PM me if you're interested.

Both, from what I remember. I like the idea of someone with a CNC machine copying one and putting them up for sale. I've got till winter until I take it apart. So I'll be asking around for someone who wants to do a project. Though if anyone knows the latch guy personally, they might want to talk to him and hear his thoughts on it.

Cheers,
Tross

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Both, from what I remember. I like the idea of someone with a CNC machine copying one and putting them up for sale. I've got till winter until I take it apart. So I'll be asking around for someone who wants to do a project. Though if anyone knows the latch guy personally, they might want to talk to him and hear his thoughts on it.

Cheers,
Tross
Here's his web page:

BMW BROKEN TRUNK LATCH HANDLE K1200LT K 1200 LT

Robert

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am looking for the left arm if you have it. Right now I am using zip ties and they are holding. I only move the windshield when I am stopped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts