BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the plastic hinge on the vanity mirror, in the trunk case broken. I have no idea how that happened. So the little plastic peg that acts as part of the hinge is broken off. Also the other part, that holds the peg is also broken. It appears I need a new mirror and the plate that the vanity mirror attaches to.

Any suggestions where I can order these parts on-line?

Thanks

Hal

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Raffy, I did a search for "piano hinge" and after reading a bit I'm off to the hardware store, maybe Home Depot for the hinge. Great fix.

Hal

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think the replacement mirror is about $20. I found they can also break when you place a wine opener in the compartment.....duh. Now I have the wine opener in a rubber tube.

Several BMW dealers do telephone orders. I'm not sure if anyone does on-line orders.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hammersley has a new online ordering process direct from fiche images and I have found their prices better than most and often cheapest. www.webparts.com. Although they are my closest dealer (at around 90 miles) I have no affiliation.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all.. great help. I have bought a piano hinge. Next step to shorten it. They say it's easy to snip 4" off a 36" piano hinge. We'll soon find out.

Hal

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Hal9000 said:
Thanks all.. great help. I have bought a piano hinge. Next step to shorten it. They say it's easy to snip 4" off a 36" piano hinge. We'll soon find out.

Hal
Hi, Hal - thought I might try including a pic of my piano hinge fix for the vanity mirror lid. It's just a 4" long hinge that I found at Home Depot. Came with several brass screws and I used them for attaching the hinge to the lid. Later, I snipped off the excess screw threads flush, that were poking into the mirror cavity (they tend to chew thangs up that are stored in there). Been as you see it for nearly four years now. Good luck with your fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Vanity Mirror Hinge

Nice timing!
I broke my hinge last week and was wondering how to fix it.
The piano hinge looks like a good idea.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Black Duct Tape solution

Failure seems a design flaw due to weight of magnet and mirror too much for the silly hinge little pin over time (and bumps)... I fabbed a hinge out of black (color optional, it's what I had) duct tape and it works well, although the alignment is "flexible" as it opens and closes...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Leetle problem with the piano hinges

One mistake I made was to use short screws with a little bit of a head on them. Of course the heads touch each other when I open the mirror and now it opens only half way. I want to grind the screw heads down, or change to flat head screws.
Just a warning.
FridayBob

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
FridayBob said:
One mistake I made was to use short screws with a little bit of a head on them. Of course the heads touch each other when I open the mirror and now it opens only half way. I want to grind the screw heads down, or change to flat head screws.
Just a warning.
FridayBob
Hey, Bob - did you use a piano hinge? The piano hinge I bought at Home Depot has the openings for the screws dished out for countersunk, flat head screws - they actually came in the piano hinge package.

Part I didn't like wuz the screws penetrating so far into the mirror cavity that the screw point rubbed anythang that wuz stored in the cavity and tore up some paperwork that I kept in there. I've since clipped off the points flush with the plastic. I might have mentioned this in an earlier post - *duh* if I did!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
danhouse said:
Failure seems a design flaw due to weight of magnet and mirror too much for the silly hinge little pin over time (and bumps)... I fabbed a hinge out of black (color optional, it's what I had) duct tape and it works well, although the alignment is "flexible" as it opens and closes...
It's also caused by over loading or bad placement of items in trunk. I went for years with out a problem and wondered why so many complained about their mirrors. That was until I was a little careless with positioning my laptop in the trunk just once. Now I understand.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hinge Question

Dick;

My hinge is also broken, replaced it once with the original part, going to try the 4" hinge you used.

Do you remember the part #/section of HD you found it?

thanks,

radar

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
After the cut

Hal9000 said:

Hal
You'll find you have a 32" piece, use the othe one. :D
Then cut the rest down into 4" pieces and sell it to get your money back.
I don't look in the mirror, but I know mine is broke, sitting in top drawer of tool box.
Rock

·
IBR# 366
16,570 Posts
Um, did you know you can buy piano hinges in a variety of lengths? Even as short as 4". The term refers to the type of long hinge, rather than a specific length.

The trunk mirror on my '02 broke soon after I picked up the bike. I had it replaced under warranty, the immediately took it off and put it in a box in the garage. It's been fine there for 76K miles. :)

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
radar41 said:
Dick;

My hinge is also broken, replaced it once with the original part, going to try the 4" hinge you used.

Do you remember the part #/section of HD you found it?

thanks,

radar
Hi, Don - sorry for the late reply. Been sweltering at a car show; would rather have been here!!

Naw, I don't have the Home Depot part number, butt I found 'em on the nail/fasterner/screw/bolt aisle in a section of hangers/picture frame clips/etc. Most of that section wuz at eye level and all items were predominately brass.

Just ax the aisle maintainer if you don't find it at the end of the aisle nearest the front of the store!!

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
for those having issues w/screw length, I used heavy duty double sided tape to mount the hinges, works perfect, just clean all surfaces w/ alcohol, and press on. Jim

·
Registered
66 Posts
I reckon just about everyone has had a problem with the weak design of these hinges. My cover falls open when I hit a decent bump and of course the cover is probably flopping around until the next time I open the case. However after breaking the plastic pins off I drilled the cover and inserted steel pins and they have been in place for a long time and lots of distance covered without a further problem.
I also think that this fix is neat. (But then again I would wouldn't I?)
Photo attached.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts