BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago I removed the side fairing on my new '16 RTW. Little did I know about the tabs that held it secure (see attached,) and managed to bust one off.
It's purely cosmetic, but a recurring and annoying reminder of my impatience, as it now leaves about 3/8" of space. I think the tab itself finally went missing.

I'd like to repair it, if it's possible, and am looking for suggestions (glues, etc.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Reactions: Hfjeff

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same issue. Used Sugru and made a replacement tab. Works perfectly.
Sugru is like a mouldable rubber that cures and solidifies, becoming firm yet flexible.
It’s worked for the last 3 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I made a tab for my 2015 RTW from this:

https://www.plastex.net

It's been on there for a couple of years now and has held up so far.

Reactions: N00bie RT Gawd

·
Registered
632 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
The Tab thing is apparently common.
BMW is derelict in not being more open about this design. There ought to be a warning sticker on all new bikes... maybe a brightly colored sticker with an arrow point to the Tab locations...

Yeah, Right ... that will never happen.

I broke mine the first time I took the panel off. Yes, tried gluing it back. No joy.
Solved the issue with some matching velcro strips where the tabs once were. Glued them on and solved the problem.

Reactions: wArt

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
The adhesives these guys are recommending sound really good. They are probably better than the slow cure JB weld, which is what I use. But what I do is scuff up the plastic, pour a base layer of adhesive while using painters tape to keep the pour where I want it, add a fine piece of fiberglass mesh. then another coat of adhesive. When cured, it shapes easily with a Dremel or a file.

·
Gene
172 Posts
If you take your bike in for service make sure you check that the service department didn't break them off. A couple of folks have had that happened and I believe the dealer had to end up replacing their fairings.

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Don't forget to lubricate the rubber on the push pin mounting points to make it much easier to remove the panels.
. . . . . and the proper grease to use is general purpose silicone grease, that you can buy at your local hardware store, for lubricating o-rings. Regular (petroleum-based) grease will dry out quickly and will also degrade the rubber over time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you take your bike in for service make sure you check that the service department didn't break them off. A couple of folks have had that happened and I believe the dealer had to end up replacing their fairings.
Can confirm this, happened to me.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Several years ago I removed the side fairing on my new '16 RTW. Little did I know about the tabs that held it secure (see attached,) and managed to bust one off.
It's purely cosmetic, but a recurring and annoying reminder of my impatience, as it now leaves about 3/8" of space. I think the tab itself finally went missing.

I'd like to repair it, if it's possible, and am looking for suggestions (glues, etc.)
I’m with powwow. If properly applied PLASTEX is stronger than the Tupperware. Great product!

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
527 Posts
This repair kit looks like an easier way to go. No glue. Just a ready made piece with automotive double sided tape.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts