BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone!
I suffered a shift linkage break on the LT. Ball stud on the rear of the linkage broke right off. The problem I have is that I can't get the square nut off the back of the mount. The remaining piece of the stud is there still connected to the square nut. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for your time and help.
FD

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK. I guess the reason I cannot get the nut off is because there isn't a nut there. The ball stud screws into the deflection lever. Still have to get the broken piece of stud out though. Thoughts?
FD

·
Registered
335 Posts
firedog said:
OK. I guess the reason I cannot get the nut off is because there isn't a nut there. The ball stud screws into the deflection lever. Still have to get the broken piece of stud out though. Thoughts?
FD
I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you are dealing with but it sounds like you are trying to get a broken ball pin out of the safety rod. If that is the case you have to remove the little wire safety clip first and it should then come out. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tips,
Thanks for the help. The ball pin broke in the middle of it's threads and left half of the shaft in the deflection lever (at least that's what the parts diagram calls it). I removed the safety wire from the ball pin receiver and popped the head of the pin out. Then I removed the deflection lever, which allowed me to rotate it out and get at the other side of the ball pin and unscrew it with vice grips. Now I just have to wait on a new set of ball pins which will be here on Tuesday. $3.33 and an hour of work and my bike will be back on the road.
There are a lot of guys on this forum who say they carry these extra parts with them just in case. Starting to wonder about a bike that I need to keep a trunk full of parts and tools in for the things that are "just in case".
When this broke, I was ready to sell the LT for scrap. However, upon reflection, I'll give the big girl another chance... :)

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,069 Posts
If you clean, tighten & lube the linkage once a year it should never strand you. I prefer the stock linkage because it is so easy to work on. I also don't use any loktite on the stud balls so if they do break you can just spin the broken thread out.

You didn't say what year your LT is. If it is a 1999 to 2004 it takes a 10mm ball with 6mm x 1.0mm threads. On the 2005 to 2009 LTs the ball on the shifter is 10mm ball & 8mm x 1.25 threads. The 10mm ball with the 6 x 1.0 threads is available at some part stores. I get mine from NAPA.

·
Registered
498 Posts
firedog said:
There are a lot of guys on this forum who say they carry these extra parts with them just in case. Starting to wonder about a bike that I need to keep a trunk full of parts and tools in for the things that are "just in case".
When this broke, I was ready to sell the LT for scrap. However, upon reflection, I'll give the big girl another chance... :)
Some of us tote around trailers...... :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave,
Thanks for the head's up on NAPA. I'll check them while I'm out today. My LT is a 2000 so maybe I can follow your lead on that.

"Some of us tote around trailers...... " :histerica

Thanks y'all!!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Kidding about the trailer....It's not a Harley... :D

I do, however, carry some essential tools and parts for things that could leave you stranded for hours. I will add that linkage to my kit!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,065 Posts
Hey Dave does carry all his tools in a trailer. Got tired of them filling up his panniers and top case. You should see what he carries.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I carry a tire repair kit, wouldn't want to have to scrap the bike because of a flat tire!! :rotf:

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I just greased mine, there was what looked like a foam dust shield that was deteriorated to practically dust. I cut some new ones out of some closed cell packing foam rather than ordering new ones.

They do seem to pick up a lot of grit in the grease if those seals aren't in place.

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,069 Posts
jzeiler said:
Hey Dave does carry all his tools in a trailer. Got tired of them filling up his panniers and top case. You should see what he carries.
It's not that I worry about MY LT needing any work while I'm riding. I'm just ready to help other LT riders that might need help when they are away from home.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I could be wrong but I seem to recall that some of us used to purchase extra linkage rods and assorted pins and nuts and carry them with us. I gave mine to the guy who bought my 05 LT a while back. Funny thing after I bought the linkage parts I never needed them nor did anyone else I knew that had an LT. I also seem to remember something about a heavy duty linkage assembly that someone was selling. It's heck getting old......

Rick H.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The stock linkage is a maintenance item. You know how those German engineers love to take things apart and clean and grease them. I clean and grease and tighten the entire linkage every time I change the oils. I do it while the motor oil is draining so it really doesn't add extra time to the task. It keeps it shifting smoothly and I don't have studs breaking.

John

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found a post that listed all the parts to the linkage. You can also look on the Max BMW site and see the whole shootin' match with prices on their parts micro fische (sp?). That's what I did to figure out the mounting and what part number I needed. The only curious thing was as I looked at the picture, that linkage was shaped differently that the one on my 2000. And before you ask, yes I was looking at the correct year group.
Dave, I did stop by NAPA and they had a hard time finding one that would be correct. That's okay, I can wait until Tuesday to get the correct ball stud from BMW and know that it's the correct one. Actually, it was cheaper through BMW than NAPA. I've got other bikes I can ride, so I'll wait for the dealer to come through.
Thanks,
FD

Ric said:
I could be wrong but I seem to recall that some of us used to purchase extra linkage rods and assorted pins and nuts and carry them with us. I gave mine to the guy who bought my 05 LT a while back. Funny thing after I bought the linkage parts I never needed them nor did anyone else I knew that had an LT. I also seem to remember something about a heavy duty linkage assembly that someone was selling. It's heck getting old......

Rick H.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,065 Posts
firedog said:
The only curious thing was as I looked at the picture, that linkage was shaped differently that the one on my 2000. And before you ask, yes I was looking at the correct year group.
Yes those are just "notional" pictures and not a true representation of the part. They are designed to get you in the ball park.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll buy that for a dollar. Thanks John!

jzeiler said:
Yes those are just "notional" pictures and not a true representation of the part. They are designed to get you in the ball park.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
saddleman said:
It's not that I worry about MY LT needing any work while I'm riding. I'm just ready to help other LT riders that might need help when they are away from home.

+1 for Dave!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
no matter the year, if he puts it up for sale for scrap, I got first dibs!!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
jzeiler said:
There are two linkages. A shorter one is inboard of the deflection lever and a longer one outboard of the deflection lever. Is it always the longer outboard linkage that people are having to break? It seems I recall in a much older thread that there's no need to go the trouble to remove and disassemble the inboard linkage to clean and lubricate it because it's always the longer one that breaks. Did I just dream this up or is this correct?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts