BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy guys.

Here's a new one. I went to lift my LT's seat only to find that black knob we pull inside the left pannier just kept on coming out. It looks like the locking collar for the cable has rattled off the inside or something similar and hence, I can't activate the seat release mechanism.

Does anyone have any idea how to lift the seat now with this malfunctioning seat release so I can repair all this mess?

Cheers and kindest regards

Paul Harrington
SA

E: [email protected]

·
Miles of Smiles
1,052 Posts
Thankfully haven't suffered that fate. Have you tried to push your hand between the seats and release the latch manually. The latch moves to the rear. Perhaps a piece of bent coat hanger or such. Good luck

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate. I wouldn't have thought of that myself.

Cheers.

Paul...

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Be careful how you do it. Looks like the mechanism needs to slide from front to back to unlatch the seat. I don't think it can be done with a wire. Attached is a picture for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Excellent picture Dan. What about a screwdriver or a piece of thin flat stock?

Loren

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Excellent picture Dan. What about a screwdriver or a piece of thin flat stock?

Loren
There might be enough room with a thin piece of flat stock, bent at the bottom about 1/2" right angle to bring the end of the clip back.

Might be a better way though to get inside and pull the clip wire. Hate to tear the seat.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have released the locking mechanism using a screwdriver, a couple of times. You need to be careful, as said already, about not tearing the seat. Turned out my release mechanism was not damaged, just "stuck".

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
To clarify, there are two screws just under the seat edge which will require a ball-head driver to get at but mine are accessible as I've just tried it. Looks pretty straight forward from there.

·
Registered
676 Posts
sully2028 said:
I have released the locking mechanism using a screwdriver, a couple of times. You need to be careful, as said already, about not tearing the seat. Turned out my release mechanism was not damaged, just "stuck".
+1 here, I also have released the seat mechanism with a large flat bladed screwdriver, done it a couple of times..

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Stop!

Before you do any damage with screwdrivers, etc. -- just use your hands -- I did this several times with my fingers.

Use one hand to gently push the driver's seatback forward to make some room for your fingers, then slide your other hand -- palm facing rearwards -- down until you feel the top surface of the front hooks, and walk the hooks rearward. There's almost no spring resistance biasing the hook forward, so once your fingers are on it, it walks back easy.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thankyou for all your excellent suggestions gentlemen. The problem is fixed thanks to the many fine ideas from you mad group of LT operators.

Cheers and kindest regards

Paul
SA,

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Re: Stop!

mneblett said:
Before you do any damage with screwdrivers, etc. -- just use your hands -- I did this several times with my fingers.

Use one hand to gently push the driver's seatback forward to make some room for your fingers, then slide your other hand -- palm facing rearwards -- down until you feel the top surface of the front hooks, and walk the hooks rearward. There's almost no spring resistance biasing the hook forward, so once your fingers are on it, it walks back easy.
Mark,
Never had my latch stuck, but if it's as easy as you describe, there is no sense in me using the helmet cable to prevent some one from taking my helmet in a parking lot someplace. After reading your post, I think I'll lock my helmet in the topcase from now on. Thanks for the heads up.
Darned helmets cost way too much.
:bmw: Vern

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Re: Stop!

vernvernvern said:
Mark,
Never had my latch stuck, but if it's as easy as you describe, there is no sense in me using the helmet cable to prevent some one from taking my helmet in a parking lot someplace. After reading your post, I think I'll lock my helmet in the topcase from now on. Thanks for the heads up.
Darned helmets cost way too much.
:bmw: Vern
It is that easy, but I never worried about theft when using the cable. The only other people that know about it are your fellow K12LT riders -- and while perhaps an, um, "unique" group, they're generally not particularly light-fingered :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts