BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 LT 41000 k

Traveling some really crappie back roads in Maine 2 up, after 1 particularly hard frost heave rear shock bottomed out hard, after that the bike continued to bottom out on the larger bumps and the real wheel would feel like it was bouncing along the pavement in a some what sliding manner for a second or 2 with a chattering sound and feeling. This happened often on the strong jolts before we found smooth road again, in 20 mi or so

My questions

1- Could I have done additional damage continuing to ride?

2- Besides shock replacement is there anything else I should have checked by the dealer?

3- Should I have the front shock done at the same time?

4- OEM or Ohlins ? Occasionally I'll get on it hard in the twisties when alone but
Also ride 2 up with the wife , 410 lbs total

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Sounds like the shock blew.. You should be able to see oil on the top of it...

Ohlins are for sure better than stock... Way better..Get them with the proper spring to acommodate the weight when two up....

I'd do the both of them if I could afford it...

I don't think there's anything else to check. Maybe the swingarm bearings .....Just a shake...

John

·
Registered
260 Posts
When I broke mine I really couldn't tell at first. I had an inkling something wasn't right because the bike went up on the center stand much easier and the rear wheel didn't lift fully with it (weight reduction). Visually didn't tell me much as it looked together and correct until the FD went and when it was hoisted onto a lift for inspection it literally fell apart. If the swing arm is dropping further than expected then things are not being held where they should and it should be replaced unless it has simply pulled itself out of it's threaded U-bracket, then it might be salvageable if it hasn't worn into itself with the loose movement (aluminum casing). I would pull enough to get a full inspection and remove /repair/replace to be safe. I sure wouldn't want a rear shock failing to hold together 2-up!

I would do both together, and am considering Wilbers because the rebuild is more realistic to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts