BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

Have a 1999 K1200LT.

Recently the small upper left hand corner of the black rear luggage handle broke off.

That of course make impossible to open the case.

I removed the case and used layers of Crazy Glue to glue it back together.

Of course I could not remove the entire handle mechanism (which would've made things easier) since it is riveted to the case.

After I let the glue dry for at least 24 hrs, I put a layer of duct tape then a layer of Metal tape to give it strength. It seems to work just fine.

I re-installed the case on the bike. That day I carried a tape deck in the case and I guess it stressed the handle which broke again in the same place.

I guess I can glue it back again.

Any advice on what to do, should I use something else besides Crazy Glue that maybe stronger?

And what is the cost to replace the handle? I don't/can't spend a lot of money on this so the cheaper the better.

And is there an easy way to remove these rivets if I want to replace the handle or to make it easier to do the repairs ?

I am in San Jose, California if there is someone close to my area who have experience in this and wants to help me.

Thank you all,
AJ

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,349 Posts
There is a member here that has machined a "fix-it-before-it breaks" kit as well as new billet latch handle. Find it here.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
If you are talking about the latch handle on the top rear case then the best option is to replace the latch with the replacement latch that jzeiler links to. Mine broke on my 2002 and the replacement latch definitely fixed the issue plus it came with all the needed hardware and instructions. There were some other methods people used in the hall of wisdom that you might still find but the best method is just to replace the latch.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I agree with John. That company makes two versions - Fix-it-Before-it-Breaks; and Fix-it-After-it-Breaks. I installed the Before version on mine. Sounds like you need the After version. It's a nice kit, but you would need to remove the topcase again to install it, unless you like to work upside down and have good eyes. Good luck! :wave

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your replies.

Perhaps I am crazy but almost $400 is a lot of money for a handle. It is a lot of money to me at least.

Is there any other alternative?

I am curious to know about this Fix it before it breaks kit....where is the link to that please?

Also is there a way to glue mine back together so that it would hold?

I simply can't afford to spend $400 on a handle right now. That is not an option at this point.

Thank you.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your replies.

Perhaps I am crazy but almost $400 is a lot of money for a handle. It is a lot of money to me at least.

Is there any other alternative?

I am curious to know about this Fix it before it breaks kit....where is the link to that please?

Also is there a way to glue mine back together so that it would hold?

I simply can't afford to spend $400 on a handle right now. That is not an option at this point.

Thank you.

I found the Before kit....wish I've known about this before the damn thing broke...that is a more reasonable price than the $400 price for the After kit.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
When mine broke about 4 years ago I found some post's by members who had repaired their latches with jbweld and metal angles that they had pop riveted to the existing latch after it was disassembled. If you check around on the forum you might still find those post's. I will admit I tried to repair mine and couldn't do it, so I just saved up and ordered the replacement latch. You might just have to use a bungee strap to hold it closed for now. Good luck.

·
Registered
593 Posts
been meaning to do the before it breaks kit for over a year. Too late. I swear I was always gentle with it to. Sucks but too late, it has happened and broken. $375 is a good chunk of change to me too but unless you are friends with a killer machinist, save your pennies.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
the side that is broken,, glue the broken piece back on and repaint. Remove the latch pin pin from the case on the broken side, it will still lock using the non broken pin and relieve the pressure on the handle. My mate has had his like the for the past 10 years, I replaced mine yes it is expensive but you will never have the problem again.
Cheers

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you explain more about removing the Pin please?

I assume that does not require removing the rivets (where the handle is riveted to the case) ?

The way it is laid out, it is not the easiest thing to work on or to access for repairs.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
open the trunk the latch pins are in the top half, the side that is broken on the handle remove the little "C" clip and slide the pin out and leave safe somewhere for future installation and always push down on the lid when you open and close it, this is not a fix but relieves the pressure. it will still function as before

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
open the trunk the latch pins are in the top half, the side that is broken on the handle remove the little "C" clip and slide the pin out and leave safe somewhere for future installation and always push down on the lid when you open and close it, this is not a fix but relieves the pressure. it will still function as before
Remove the pin that is under the handle and held by 2 C clips?

That pin does not come out unless the entire handle mechanism is removed which involves removing the rivets holding it to the lower lid.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Remove the pin that is under the handle and held by 2 C clips?

That pin does not come out unless the entire handle mechanism is removed which involves removing the rivets holding it to the lower lid.
He is referring to the away inside the trunk - remove the liner to see

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Linton is referring to the two pins on the top side of the case. there is one pin for each latch lever on the lower half of the case. You only need to remove one C-clip to remove the upper half of the top case pin.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Linton is referring to the two pins on the top side of the case. there is one pin for each latch lever on the lower half of the case. You only need to remove one C-clip to remove the upper half of the top case pin.
exactly :)
[URL="
[/URL]

·
Registered
399 Posts
The latch handle is poorly designed by BMW. Those corners carry too much stress. I installed the FIBIB kit - luckily I didn't procrastinate. Both kits are very well engineered and precision machined. It is a lot of money but BMW would want to sell you a complete top case for 3x more.

·
Registered
593 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
The latch handle is poorly designed by BMW. Those corners carry too much stress. I installed the FIBIB kit - luckily I didn't procrastinate. Both kits are very well engineered and precision machined. It is a lot of money but BMW would want to sell you a complete top case for 3x more.
I have had the FIBIB kit on mine for 6 years and it works great. My wife even though told many times to push down and shut it slowly forgets and wrenches it shut and if the FIBIB kit made it by her test (Consumer reports has nothing on her) they are tough.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Is just one side broken? If so. Just remove the latch pin from the trunk lid on the broken side and get the fix it b4 it breaks kit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts