BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The DPO (dreaded previous owner) of my new to me 2002 K1200LTC had an adhesive backed convex mirror about 3" in diameter on the left mirror. Pretty useless to me. Even though I used patience and a heat gun, I managed to crack the mirror. Are these available as just the mirror, or must I buy a whole unit? Does it come out easily?

TIA,

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
You can purchase just the glass from BMW, right side 51162347238, left side 51162347237. Price is $47.22 as listed on MAX BMW parts site.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Is there an easy / proper way to remove the glass?

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I have not done it, but from past posts it seems that you can slip a flat blade under the mirror until you get to the mounting ring. (take a look at the parts breakdown). Then gently pry it up and the mirror will pop free.

Since it is already broken if you pry to hard and break it further, should be no problem. :)

Take a look at some of the links below this post and you should find additional information.

·
Registered
335 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
I have not done it, but from past posts it seems that you can slip a flat blade under the mirror until you get to the mounting ring. (take a look at the parts breakdown). Then gently pry it up and the mirror will pop free.

Since it is already broken if you pry to hard and break it further, should be no problem. :)

Take a look at some of the links below this post and you should find additional information.
John has it right. I replaced one of my mirrors last summer and it was pretty easy to remove the old one by working around the edges, prying it off.

Tips

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
southern_nj said:
Do yourself a favor with a nice addition of Muth mirrors. It is a great upgrade and cheap too - http://www.muthco.com/epapers/21000740.pdf

They work great and add another level of safety to your LT.

Glenn
+1 Have had them on each of my LTs (4). Excellent product!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
southern_nj said:
Do yourself a favor with a nice addition of Muth mirrors. It is a great upgrade and cheap too - http://www.muthco.com/epapers/21000740.pdf

They work great and add another level of safety to your LT.

Glenn
+2! I have had them on my '00 LT for over 10 years now, and Muth has great support for their customers! Plus they have the LED Turn Signals in the mirrors for added visibility.

John

·
Registered
185 Posts
Muth mirror are ok, but rather expensive. Dealer trick for the removval of the mirror. provide a nice flat area, cover with a towel, with the mirror assemble removed from the bike, face down strike the face of the mirror housing flat down onto the towel and the mirror itself will fall out of the housing. Can be a little unsteeling but it works.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The same thing happened to me. Should be going tomorrow to the dealer and pick up the glass. Still got the get the right hand convex mirror off!

Cheers,
vespacar

davewrit said:
The DPO (dreaded previous owner) of my new to me 2002 K1200LTC had an adhesive backed convex mirror about 3" in diameter on the left mirror. Pretty useless to me. Even though I used patience and a heat gun, I managed to crack the mirror. Are these available as just the mirror, or must I buy a whole unit? Does it come out easily?

TIA,

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
While I haven't tried this myself it makes sense to me. Dip the mirror assembly into some soapy water to lube up the retaining tabs which you can't access otherwise. Then proceed with the glass removal. Should make it much easier to pop out.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I 2nd the muth upgrade. My bike came with them from the PO. And I love them. BTW. Next time removing a convex mirror from a mirror glass. Try fishing line.

·
Registered
185 Posts
After you've gone to all that trouble to replace the mirror don't forget to safety them to the bike with zip-ties or metal fishing line leaders.

The whole mirror is really pricey

·
Registered
338 Posts
Schlossman BMW is not too far from where you live on north 76th street. I purchased my replacement mirror from them.

·
Registered
245 Posts
For the two posters who need mirror glass, DanMartin has one (a few?) extra that he might be willing to sell you. I bought one used from him. Worth a shot. Could save you a few bucks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Having picked up my mirror glass and seeing what was behind it, now I know why it was so hard to remove. One of the previous owners decided that the mirror never need come out, so decided to crazy glue everything together. So off to the dealer to order the small cup, and on Monday I should be good to go. Thank god they had all the parts in country.

Learning one thing at a time,
Tross

·
Registered
245 Posts
VespaCar - I think DanMartin has that part too. Give him a try. He's not a vendor, just a guy who's collected enough LT parts (almost) to build an LT from scratch. He's helped me out several times.

·
Registered
151 Posts
cwarren said:
VespaCar - I think DanMartin has that part too. Give him a try. He's not a vendor, just a guy who's collected enough LT parts (almost) to build an LT from scratch. He's helped me out several times.
I appreciate the lead, and next time I''ll send him PM. But as I've already ordered the part from the dealer, too late for me.

Cheers,
Tross

·
Registered
151 Posts
It took all around 2 min to install with all the right parts. I've got some non-breakable thread to try and get the other convex mirror off but I'm in no hurry.

Cheers,
Tross

1 - 19 of 19 Posts