BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Final drive failure in Sturgis. I'm gonna try to rent a U Haul and drive down to Loveland to get it fixed. Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
There's a BMW shop in Sturgis.
 

·
BMW Guru
Joined
·
8,469 Posts
Dogg209 said:
Final drive failure in Sturgis. I'm gonna try to rent a U Haul and drive down to Loveland to get it fixed. Any ideas?

I ordered a final drive for a customer on Sat afternoon and got it 1st thing this morning. If you can get the dealer to order it tomorrow AM you could be back on the road Fri afternoon...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,565 Posts
There's a dealer in Sturgis, I've been there, good people. They should be albe to take care of you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately they are so busy I was told that they cannot even begin to think of seeing me until next week. The Service Manager related to me that it would be far more beneficial for them to help out 4 individuals rather than tying up shop space for one individual. I was told to go to Loveland by
Sturgis BMW. Im hoping Loveland will overnite the parts if I give them a heads up in the morning. Second rear drive failure in 25k. Im not sure I can or want to deal with this anymore. Might be another disturbance in the force soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,423 Posts
I've got a Harley FOR SALE.

Bummer, Drive failure not something I worry about but it happens, just like chains/ belts break and sprockets wear. Probably will be pissed if/when it happens to me. Been considering picking up a spare to carry.

U-Haul sounds like best bet, maybe oneway to Lodi and deal with it here or leave it, fly/drive home and have it shipped or go get it later. Just thinking out loud, good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for your help Raffy. I met Big John and he said we would pick me up on Saturday. I took another chance and spoke with Sturgis BMW and they agreed to order the parts today and install it tomorrow morning. The only catch is they are insisting that I replace the entire final drive at an approximate cost of $1200. The rationale is that it failed twice already and might be beyond reasonably fixing. I agreed to the price and hope I can continue this ride. My partner left for home this morning so Im gonna cruise alone. Im thinking a jaunt thru the reaches of Colorado are in order. My wife of course thought I would want to run straight home after the fix and Im thinking Ive got 8 days left and I already missed 3 days of riding...Thanks again for your help Raffy. IOU Buddy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
Dogg209 said:
... Im thinking a jaunt thru the reaches of Colorado are in order. My wife of course thought I would want to run straight home after the fix and Im thinking Ive got 8 days left and I already missed 3 days of riding...Thanks again for your help Raffy. IOU Buddy.
Mark, make sure to flush and fill the 'New' FD when you get home. Who knows what manufacturing debris might be hiding in there!

Certainly glad to hear Sturgis decided to support you. They helped me out after a tire delaminated on me in the Badlands. It took 'em awhile, but it ended well!

Have a Great Ride!!
 

·
BMW Guru
Joined
·
8,469 Posts
JATownsend said:
Mark, make sure to flush and fill the 'New' FD when you get home. Who knows what manufacturing debris might be hiding in there!
That's good advise. Flush it before you hit 1000 miles...
 

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,456 Posts
Dogg209 said:
Thanks so much for your help Raffy. I met Big John and he said we would pick me up on Saturday. I took another chance and spoke with Sturgis BMW and they agreed to order the parts today and install it tomorrow morning. The only catch is they are insisting that I replace the entire final drive at an approximate cost of $1200. The rationale is that it failed twice already and might be beyond reasonably fixing. I agreed to the price and hope I can continue this ride. My partner left for home this morning so Im gonna cruise alone. Im thinking a jaunt thru the reaches of Colorado are in order. My wife of course thought I would want to run straight home after the fix and Im thinking Ive got 8 days left and I already missed 3 days of riding...Thanks again for your help Raffy. IOU Buddy.
I think I'm liking the Sturgis BMW shoppe - sounds like they may know the VOR program and how it works (Vehicle Off Road). Some dealers do - some don't (or choose not to!!). One of the several reasons I deal with Lone Star BMW in Austin is the many stories I've heard over the years about their activating the VOR program to take care of travelers in the area. Sure glad you're gonna be able to finish your plans, albeit a small glitch mid-ride. Best of luck to you.
 

·
BMW Guru
Joined
·
8,469 Posts
Dick said:
I think I'm liking the Sturgis BMW shoppe - sounds like they may know the VOR program and how it works (Vehicle Off Road). Some dealers do - some don't (or choose not to!!). One of the several reasons I deal with Lone Star BMW in Austin is the many stories I've heard over the years about their activating the VOR program to take care of travelers in the area. Sure glad you're gonna be able to finish your plans, albeit a small glitch mid-ride. Best of luck to you.
All dealers know about VOR. However, it's expensive to order parts that way and they may chose not to use it unless they HAVE too...
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,545 Posts
When my second final drive went out, Marty's BMW said it would take 2-3 days to get the part and a couple hours to install. I asked about overnight shipping, and they said that if I was willing to pay it (around $35) they'd have me back on the road the next day. Drive covered under warranty, new throttle cables under warranty, and I had the brakes flushed at my expense since they had the bike sitting there anyway.

I felt it was a fair resolution and it didn't affect my trip plans all that much. I was sorry later to see them close and be replaced by a boutique dealer, who seemed pretty clueless for the first year or two.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top